I'm new and feel very alone

  • sueaholland2003
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 2, 2003
      Hi all,
      I happened onto this site while endlessly searching. My lovely
      almost 12 yeqar old cat was diagnosed with HCM 2 weeks ago and Im a
      real wreck. Hes on Lasix and Enalipril. The heart is doing well,
      lungs are clear but his kidney values have increased from 50 to 58
      and 3.75 to 4.85. Not too good. I feel as though Im damned if I do
      and damned if I dont. either the heart or kidneys will kill him. He
      has also developed a cold from the stress. Of course, I though it
      was heart failure and rushed him to the emergency room. He had to
      have an enema because he gets really constipated and strains and is
      in pain. I didn't want to do it because I know how stressful it is.
      He was REALLY knocked out after the enema (slept like the dead for 10
      hours that night) Hes better now but still wont eat his regular food
      really well. He was eating very well before the enema. He does eat
      chicken and is drinking though.
      Im bringing him to a Chinese Herbalist to see what could be offered
      to help him. Has anyone else used chinese herbs? Its wonderful that
      there is a message board such as this. Im so exhausted and alone.
      It hepls...Thanks
      Susan
    • jenanddeagan
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 2, 2003
        Hi Susan,

        You have come to the right place. There are many members on the
        list who are doing the delicate balancing dance of the kidneys and
        the heart, they are an endless source of knowledge. I can
        sympathize with you feeling alone, my 2yo cat was diagnosed Nov
        20th, and I was lucky to have found this group before his diagnosis,
        they were able to give me a really good idea what to expect. It
        sounds like your kitty is getting the right treatment, so keep your
        fingers crossed that he can balance his heart and kidney needs. It
        can be done with a lot of effort, time, constant care and endless
        love.

        Our thoughts are with you,

        jen
      • brinkett
        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 2, 2003
          > Hi all,
          > I happened onto this site while endlessly searching. My lovely
          > almost 12 yeqar old cat was diagnosed with HCM 2 weeks ago and Im
          > real wreck. Hes on Lasix and Enalipril. The heart is doing well,
          > lungs are clear but his kidney values have increased from 50 to 58
          > and 3.75 to 4.85. Not too good. I feel as though Im damned if I
          do
          > and damned if I dont.

          Hi Susan,

          Sorry to hear about your cat. What dose of lasix is he on? Does
          your vet plan to taper off the lasix over time to find the lowest
          dose that your cat can be managed on? This is usually what is done.

          My cat Morag is also on lasix and her kidney values are elevated,
          but between the kidneys and the heart, you have to choose the
          heart. We worked hard to find the lowest dose of lasix she can get
          away with - it took time but in the end we found it. There are also
          other diuretics that can be tried that your cat might tolerate
          better if there isn't a dose of lasix that both keeps the lungs
          clear and keeps the kidney values within acceptable limits (though
          they might be elevated).

          Sarah.