Re: Pele is in the hospital

  • kmyelshin
    Message 1 of 10 , Dec 1, 2003
      Not great, but not nearly as bad as I feared.

      She's home now. They started her on Lasix which helped her to breathe
      again, so we're going to give that a try and see how it goes. She
      seems kind of wrung out, but she's breathing easier. She got her purr
      back too.

      I was really close to giving up, but a couple of people said "She'll
      let you know when its time" so I shut up and listened. She still had
      enough spunk to fight the vet techs when they attempted to tap the
      fluid out of her chest cavity, and she had to be sedated so the
      cardiologist could do an echo. To me that sounded an awful lot like
      "I've still got life left in me," so on we go, one day at a time.

      Kathy

      --- In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com, "zanth_99" <sandra_scanlon@h...>
      wrote:
      > Kathy,
      >
      > I have been thinking about you and Pele all night. How are you and
      > she doing?
      >
      > Sandy
      >
      > --- In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com, "kmyelshin" <kmyelshin@y...>
      > wrote:
      > > I had to take Pele in to the local emergency animal hospital this
      > morning.
      > >
      > > She has moved into congestive heart failure. She is borderline
      > > diabetic. Last week she lost all of the hair on her right ear for
      > > some as yet undetermined cause (the vet is growing a culture). She
      > > has a recurring infection of undetermined origin.
      > >
      > > I think its time to say goodbye, but I feel horrible about doing
      > it.
      > > My husband is away -- he's on his way home now -- but I had to call
      > > him and tell him I think she's dying. I didn't want to end it
      > before
      > > he had a chance to say goodbye, so I let the vets work on her and
      > put
      > > her on oxygen.
      > >
      > > How do you know when you're doing the right thing and when you're
      > just
      > > being selfish? This cat has been my friend and companion for
      > almost
      > > 10 years, and the last few months have been so hard. I hate that
      > it
      > > comes to this. I hate it.
      > >

      > > kathy
    • brinkett
      Message 2 of 10 , Dec 1, 2003
        > Not great, but not nearly as bad as I feared.
        >
        > She's home now. They started her on Lasix which helped her to
        breathe
        > again, so we're going to give that a try and see how it goes. She
        > seems kind of wrung out, but she's breathing easier. She got her
        purr
        > back too.

        That's great news! :-) And welcome to the sometimes wild ride
        known as feline CHF. It may take some time to figure out the right
        dose of lasix for Pele if she needs to stay on a maintenance dose,
        so take it one day at a time and try not to get discouraged if
        things are up and down for a bit.

        Sarah.
      • Laurie Sekiguchi
        Message 3 of 10 , Dec 3, 2003
          Does anyone have any experience with thromboembolization? How
          treatable is it, and how likely is it to reappear soon if even
          treated? Are there degrees (i.e., mild or severe). Is it always
          painful? How can you tell if your cat is in pain, anyway?
          --

          Laurie Sekiguchi
        • Laurie Sekiguchi
          Message 4 of 10 , Dec 3, 2003

            Well, anyway, it seems to be the end of the road.
            --

            Laurie Sekiguchi
          • peteycat9
            Message 5 of 10 , Dec 3, 2003
              --- In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com, Laurie Sekiguchi
              <bermaguchi@c...> wrote:

              > Well, anyway, it seems to be the end of the road.
              > --
              >
              > Laurie Sekiguchi

              Dear Larie,
              What's going on with your kitty? Can you tell us about him/her?
              Petey
            • Laurie Sekiguchi
              Message 6 of 10 , Dec 3, 2003
                At 12:06 AM +0000 12/4/03, peteycat9 wrote:

                >Dear Larie,
                > What's going on with your kitty? Can you tell us about him/her?
                >Petey

                Simba suddenly started panting the Monday before Thanksgiving. It was
                the first we knew he had a heart problem. The doctor treated him for
                CHF, I was giving him a small amount of aspirin in addition to Lasix
                and the other one for the heart (sorry, can't remember the name right
                now). Yesterday he was at the vet, and the vet said he was doing
                well. But today his hind legs gave out on him. He also started
                breathing very rapidly. I could hospitalize him, but it's all been so
                quick, I feel sure it's just a matter of time, and I'd rather he be
                home with us. I called a vet to come euthanize him, and she'll coming
                in an hour or so. I wish she could have come sooner.

                I don't know about other cats, but Simba absolutely does not
                understand the paralysis. He kept trying to jump up or jump down or
                go upstairs or go downstairs without the use of his hind legs. It
                just didn't register. I was staying close so that I could move him
                when he wanted to move, but then I thought perhaps he wanted to be
                alone, so I put him in a room with his food and water and litter and
                closed the door to keep him from hurting himself. The time goes very
                slowly. I wish I could have taken care of it more quickly.
                --

                Laurie Sekiguchi
              • Laurie Sekiguchi
                Message 7 of 10 , Dec 3, 2003
                  Simba has left us. The veterinarian who came to our house was
                  wonderful. (If any of you are in the Maryland suburbs, her name is
                  Deborah Weiss, and she's in the phone book. She just does house
                  calls.) She said she thought Simba might be part Maine Coon, which I
                  have always suspected, though I never realized what a liability it
                  could be.

                  I will sign off now. For anyone whose cat experiences this
                  (thromboembolism), I recommend prompt euthasia, because the cat
                  really is suffering--although that is of course up to the individual.
                  I wish all of you and your kitties well.
                  --

                  Laurie Sekiguchi
                • peteycat9
                  Message 8 of 10 , Dec 4, 2003
                    Dear Laurie,
                    I am so sorry about Simba. It's a terrible shock to suddenly be
                    faced with this disease. We didn't know our cat had a heart problem
                    either until he crashed and we had to put him to sleep. I'm glad
                    your vet was able to make his passing a peaceful experience. Maine
                    Coon cats are just wonderful. Take care.
                    Petey