Re: Pele is in the hospital

  • zanth_99
    Message 1 of 10 , Dec 1, 2003
      Kathy,

      I have been thinking about you and Pele all night. How are you and
      she doing?

      Sandy

      --- In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com, "kmyelshin" <kmyelshin@y...>
      wrote:
      > I had to take Pele in to the local emergency animal hospital this
      morning.

      > She has moved into congestive heart failure. She is borderline
      > diabetic. Last week she lost all of the hair on her right ear for
      > some as yet undetermined cause (the vet is growing a culture). She
      > has a recurring infection of undetermined origin.
      >
      > I think its time to say goodbye, but I feel horrible about doing
      it.
      > My husband is away -- he's on his way home now -- but I had to call
      > him and tell him I think she's dying. I didn't want to end it
      before
      > he had a chance to say goodbye, so I let the vets work on her and
      put
      > her on oxygen.
      >
      > How do you know when you're doing the right thing and when you're
      just
      > being selfish? This cat has been my friend and companion for
      almost
      > 10 years, and the last few months have been so hard. I hate that
      it
      > comes to this. I hate it.
      >

      > kathy
    • kmyelshin
      Message 2 of 10 , Dec 1, 2003
        Not great, but not nearly as bad as I feared.

        She's home now. They started her on Lasix which helped her to breathe
        again, so we're going to give that a try and see how it goes. She
        seems kind of wrung out, but she's breathing easier. She got her purr
        back too.

        I was really close to giving up, but a couple of people said "She'll
        let you know when its time" so I shut up and listened. She still had
        enough spunk to fight the vet techs when they attempted to tap the
        fluid out of her chest cavity, and she had to be sedated so the
        cardiologist could do an echo. To me that sounded an awful lot like
        "I've still got life left in me," so on we go, one day at a time.

        Kathy

        --- In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com, "zanth_99" <sandra_scanlon@h...>
        wrote:
        > Kathy,
        >
        > I have been thinking about you and Pele all night. How are you and
        > she doing?
        >
        > Sandy
        >
        > --- In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com, "kmyelshin" <kmyelshin@y...>
        > wrote:
        > > I had to take Pele in to the local emergency animal hospital this
        > morning.
        > >
        > > She has moved into congestive heart failure. She is borderline
        > > diabetic. Last week she lost all of the hair on her right ear for
        > > some as yet undetermined cause (the vet is growing a culture). She
        > > has a recurring infection of undetermined origin.
        > >
        > > I think its time to say goodbye, but I feel horrible about doing
        > it.
        > > My husband is away -- he's on his way home now -- but I had to call
        > > him and tell him I think she's dying. I didn't want to end it
        > before
        > > he had a chance to say goodbye, so I let the vets work on her and
        > put
        > > her on oxygen.
        > >
        > > How do you know when you're doing the right thing and when you're
        > just
        > > being selfish? This cat has been my friend and companion for
        > almost
        > > 10 years, and the last few months have been so hard. I hate that
        > it
        > > comes to this. I hate it.
        > >

        > > kathy
      • brinkett
        Message 3 of 10 , Dec 1, 2003
          > Not great, but not nearly as bad as I feared.
          >
          > She's home now. They started her on Lasix which helped her to
          breathe
          > again, so we're going to give that a try and see how it goes. She
          > seems kind of wrung out, but she's breathing easier. She got her
          purr
          > back too.

          That's great news! :-) And welcome to the sometimes wild ride
          known as feline CHF. It may take some time to figure out the right
          dose of lasix for Pele if she needs to stay on a maintenance dose,
          so take it one day at a time and try not to get discouraged if
          things are up and down for a bit.

          Sarah.
        • Laurie Sekiguchi
          Message 4 of 10 , Dec 3, 2003
            Does anyone have any experience with thromboembolization? How
            treatable is it, and how likely is it to reappear soon if even
            treated? Are there degrees (i.e., mild or severe). Is it always
            painful? How can you tell if your cat is in pain, anyway?
            --

            Laurie Sekiguchi
          • Laurie Sekiguchi
            Message 5 of 10 , Dec 3, 2003

              Well, anyway, it seems to be the end of the road.
              --

              Laurie Sekiguchi
            • peteycat9
              Message 6 of 10 , Dec 3, 2003
                --- In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com, Laurie Sekiguchi
                <bermaguchi@c...> wrote:

                > Well, anyway, it seems to be the end of the road.
                > --
                >
                > Laurie Sekiguchi

                Dear Larie,
                What's going on with your kitty? Can you tell us about him/her?
                Petey
              • Laurie Sekiguchi
                Message 7 of 10 , Dec 3, 2003
                  At 12:06 AM +0000 12/4/03, peteycat9 wrote:

                  >Dear Larie,
                  > What's going on with your kitty? Can you tell us about him/her?
                  >Petey

                  Simba suddenly started panting the Monday before Thanksgiving. It was
                  the first we knew he had a heart problem. The doctor treated him for
                  CHF, I was giving him a small amount of aspirin in addition to Lasix
                  and the other one for the heart (sorry, can't remember the name right
                  now). Yesterday he was at the vet, and the vet said he was doing
                  well. But today his hind legs gave out on him. He also started
                  breathing very rapidly. I could hospitalize him, but it's all been so
                  quick, I feel sure it's just a matter of time, and I'd rather he be
                  home with us. I called a vet to come euthanize him, and she'll coming
                  in an hour or so. I wish she could have come sooner.

                  I don't know about other cats, but Simba absolutely does not
                  understand the paralysis. He kept trying to jump up or jump down or
                  go upstairs or go downstairs without the use of his hind legs. It
                  just didn't register. I was staying close so that I could move him
                  when he wanted to move, but then I thought perhaps he wanted to be
                  alone, so I put him in a room with his food and water and litter and
                  closed the door to keep him from hurting himself. The time goes very
                  slowly. I wish I could have taken care of it more quickly.
                  --

                  Laurie Sekiguchi
                • Laurie Sekiguchi
                  Message 8 of 10 , Dec 3, 2003
                    Simba has left us. The veterinarian who came to our house was
                    wonderful. (If any of you are in the Maryland suburbs, her name is
                    Deborah Weiss, and she's in the phone book. She just does house
                    calls.) She said she thought Simba might be part Maine Coon, which I
                    have always suspected, though I never realized what a liability it
                    could be.

                    I will sign off now. For anyone whose cat experiences this
                    (thromboembolism), I recommend prompt euthasia, because the cat
                    really is suffering--although that is of course up to the individual.
                    I wish all of you and your kitties well.
                    --

                    Laurie Sekiguchi
                  • peteycat9
                    Message 9 of 10 , Dec 4, 2003
                      Dear Laurie,
                      I am so sorry about Simba. It's a terrible shock to suddenly be
                      faced with this disease. We didn't know our cat had a heart problem
                      either until he crashed and we had to put him to sleep. I'm glad
                      your vet was able to make his passing a peaceful experience. Maine
                      Coon cats are just wonderful. Take care.
                      Petey