How can I successfully administer a pill?

  • Jess
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 29, 2003
      Hi Everyone!
      My Max was diagnosed about 2 weeks ago, and our vet
      prescribed a 1/2 tablet to be given orally once a day.
      My hubby and I are having a real problem giving Max
      his pill. Max is a large (15 pounds!) guy with a lot
      of strength. We've tried wrapping him up in a blanket
      to keep him from scratching, but it doesn't help keep
      his head still. We've tried to hold onto the scruff
      of his neck, (it worked when we gave our 8 month old
      kitten antibiotics after she was spayed) but Max is so
      muscular, that there really isn't much scruff left.
      We don't want to hurt him. How are all of you
      administering medicine to your kitties? Any advice
      would be helpful at this point. Thanks! -J&D
    • Deena
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 1, 2003
        --- In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com, Jess <metpecker@y...> wrote:
        How are all of you administering medicine to your kitties? Any
        advice would be helpful at this point. Thanks! -J&D

        I read where you can place the pills in a can of treats and they
        will absorb the taste/smell of the treat. Luckily, Mr P will take
        his pills if I hide them in food, but this approach makes sense.

        Deena in Newburyport, MA
        Mr. Pepe: Male, NFC, diagnosed 11/12/03 at 3 yrs, severe HCM,
        restrictive, severely enlarged left atrium, advanced CHF, grade 2/6
        murmur, mild neuro signs (head tilt & tremors). Enalapril 2.5 mg 1x
        day, Fragmin .04 ml 2x/day subcu, lasix 5mg 2x day