Home Oxygen & other equipment needs

  • MOTTOLA FAMILY
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 28, 2003
      Happy day-after-Thanksgiving everyone. Mr. Pepe had a great day yesterday.
      He had tons of energy and the warm weather brought him a nice supply of
      moths to chase & catch outside (his favorite game). It was truly something
      to be thankful for, considering 2 weeks ago I was told by Tufts
      cardiologists that he probably would not make it through the night. His
      quick comeback may go down in the medical journals as we had a steady stream
      of onlookers during his 1 week follow-up visit ("check this out", type
      comments).

      He's been having minor episodes of rapid & labored breathing which quickly
      subside with a 10 mg dose of lasix. However, last night he was having a
      "significant" breathing episode which took a few doses of lasix to get him
      breathing comfortably. Still, it was amazing how quickly he bounced back.
      One minute he had a distant stare and we were all gathered around him saying
      good-bye. Suddenly, his expression changed and he was purring up a storm.
      This morning he was back to his usual energy level and causing mischief.

      Because of his ability to bounce back so quickly and his obvious "zest for
      life", I am wondering whether setting up some type of oxygen cage in the
      house makes sence at this point. My vet feels he is a good candidate, will
      reduce the amount of lasix needed and it might prevent the dreaded trip to
      the ER, which we really can't afford. I used to sell pneumatic surgical
      handpieces, so I am familiar with using gas tanks & regulators. (I had a
      portable tank for demo's. Murphy's law: I cleaned the garage about 6
      months ago and donated it.)

      DO OTHER'S HAVE OXYGEN SET-UP'S IN THEIR HOMES?
      If so, can you pass on your advice on setting up and using. What I was
      thinking was to set up a corner of my bedroom with a dog crate covered in
      plastic with an O2 tank next to it. I heard that industrial O2 will suffice
      and be much cheaper than medical grade. Any advice on obtaining, setting up
      and using will be great? Here are my initial questions:

      1. What is the best type of place to buy/rent an O2 tank?
      2. What size tank should I get?
      3. What type of regulator?
      4. What type of cage is best? (is my dog crate idea OK?)
      5. Any other equipment I should have on hand to manage his CHF and HCM. (I
      will be breeding Buddie soon, so some equipment can also be used for the
      whelping & rearing puppies. At this point in my life, convenience & ease of
      use get top priority over the cheapest thing available)

      Then I will need some instruction on do's & don'ts. My plan will be to use
      this for short-term O2 and I'm assuming that much is dependant on the
      individual response of the cat. General info such as the following will be
      great:
      1. percentage of O2 to use
      2. lenghth of exposure & warning signs
      3. safety precautions
      4. links to home oxygen use

      Thanks in advance.

      Deena in Newburyport, MA
      Mr. Pepe: Male, NFC, diagnosed 11/12/03 at 3 yrs, severe HCM, restrictive,
      severely
      enlarged left atrium, advanced CHF, grade 2/6 murmur, mild neuro signs (head
      tilt & tremors). Enalapril 2.5 mg 1x day, Fragmin .04 ml 2x/day subcu,
      lasix 5mg 2x day