Re: [FH] Feline DCM

  • Sara
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 26, 2003
      You can share you thoughts with us! I too have a young one with HCM, Toby who is 20 mos. Check out the Database, I'm sure you'll find others with a similar diagnosis.

      catiefin <catiefin@...> wrote:
      Hello to all the catlovers!

      I have a cute little cat called Leevi and one year ago in the age of
      7 months he was diagnosed with feline dilatating cardiomyopathy DCM.
      He is doing fine without any symptoms or need for medication so far
      but I am very sad because of his condition and future prognosis
      because nobody seems to be able to tell me anything about this
      disease which is so much less common than HCM.

      I am really desperate finding people whose cats are fighting this
      disease and would love to share my thoughts with them!

      Catie

      Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

    • brinkett
      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 26, 2003
        >feline dilatating cardiomyopathy DCM.

        DCM usually occurs due to taurine deficiency and hence can
        be "cured" with taurine supplementation. There are rare cases that
        are idiopathic, though (of unknown origin). What were you told when
        Leevi was diagnosed? Was he tested for taurine deficiency?

        Sarah.
      • Susan
        Message 3 of 8 , Nov 26, 2003
          > catiefin <catiefin@...> wrote:
          > Hello to all the catlovers!
          >
          > I have a cute little cat called Leevi and one year
          > ago in the age of
          > 7 months he was diagnosed with feline dilatating
          > cardiomyopathy DCM.

          Catie,

          Sorry you have to be here. DCM is not seen very much
          anymore because it is associated with taurine
          deficiency and all commercial cat foods now have it.
          It is now associated with homemade diets or cats who
          are fed dog food. Has your vet talked to you about
          taurine?

          Susan

          =====

          Free Pop-Up Blocker - Get it now
          http://companion.yahoo.com/
        • Susan
          Message 4 of 8 , Nov 26, 2003
            > catiefin <catiefin@...> wrote:
            > Hello to all the catlovers!
            >
            > I have a cute little cat called Leevi and one year
            > ago in the age of
            > 7 months he was diagnosed with feline dilatating
            > cardiomyopathy DCM.

            Catie,

            Sorry you have to be here. DCM is not seen very much
            anymore because it is associated with taurine
            deficiency and all commercial cat foods now have it.
            It is now associated with homemade diets or cats who
            are fed dog food. Has your vet talked to you about
            taurine?

            Susan

            =====

            Free Pop-Up Blocker - Get it now
            http://companion.yahoo.com/
          • catiefin
            Message 5 of 8 , Dec 2, 2003
              Hello again!

              Last week I wrote a rather long letter, but now I realize it didn't
              appear here for everybody to read as I ment it to be, sorry, I am a
              new user here!

              I try with better luck now!

              Catie
            • catiefin
              Message 6 of 8 , Dec 2, 2003
                So hello again and thank you for your replies and support!

                I tell you now a little more about Leevi and his early weeks as a
                young kitten.

                He was just 6 weeks old when I first met him in a farm here in
                Finland. The cats were living in a stable in rather poor conditions
                and all the three kittens had a terrible conjunctivitis. They had
                plenty of food (commercial catfood), though, and were able to go
                outside, where the mother-cat was also hunting for mice.

                I felt really bad for the kittens and wanted to "rescue" one of them
                so that's how Leevi came to our house. I took him to the vet and the
                conjunctivitis was treated with antibiotics. I also started giving
                him multivitamins with taurine supplement daily and fed him only with
                commercial catfood of good quality. After a while he was doing really
                well and developed just as all the kittens are supposed to. I never
                had any problems with him since - until...

                When Leevi was 7 months old I took him to the vet for kastration, and
                that's when the vet heard the mur-mur for the first time and the
                diagnosis was soon made.

                Leevi isn't a cat of any particular fancy breed and I don't even know
                who his father is or if there is any other cats in his family with
                DCM or HCM. So he is sort of "a country-cat" (sorry, I don't know the
                word in English!)

                Well, I have heard about taurine deficiency as a possible cause for
                DCM, but the vet told me that since the mother-cat was eating mice as
                part of his diet and also commercial catfood, it could not be the
                case this time. I don't know if that's enough?

                However, I had not heard before that taurine supplement could be
                useful also later when the diagnosis has already been made. I have to
                start giving him taurine again!!!

                What is the background and breed of all your cats?

                Catie
              • brinkett
                Message 7 of 8 , Dec 2, 2003
                  > > When Leevi was 7 months old I took him to the vet for
                  kastration, and
                  > that's when the vet heard the mur-mur for the first time and the
                  > diagnosis was soon made.

                  Hi,

                  Thanks for sharing Leevi's history. I was just wondering how DCM
                  was diagnosed. Was an ultrasound done?

                  Sarah.