RE: [FH] Re: the decision to euhanize

  • Steph
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 23, 2003
      >I think it's because when something traumatic happens, people need
      to make sense of it. So when our precious companion dies, we need
      to understand why it happened, and if euthanasia is involved, the
      easiest reason to point to is ourselves (some people point to the
      vet). Asking ourselves if we made the right decision at the right
      time, or if we could have prevented it if we'd asked the right
      questions or done the right things or seen the right vet,

      That's a very good answer. I know when I euthanized Lizzie, even though
      I knew it was the right thing and the ONLY thing left to do, I felt
      incredibly guilty. Guilt is part of the grieving process.. its a
      natural part of being able to make a decision to help something live or
      die. Lizzie wanted to go.. I didn't want her to, and it was the hardest
      decision I'll ever have to make in my life, being as she was my canine
      soulmate. Heh.. I can't even type about her cuz I'm crying already, so
      I should probably stop here.

      But thanks for that wonderful answer from whoever posted it... that's so
      on target.

      Steph