potassium

  • kwind159
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 23, 2003
      et all,
      anyone have any info or links on this re:
      my cat, moe just came out of a 2 week period of having fluid buildup and he went
      on heavy lasix and was wiped out. from the group and reading i read that heavy
      lasix can drop potassiun levels although i was told that tends to happen inolder cats
      more, so my vet started him on a low dose of potassium last tuesday.
      however friday i came home and his head was drooped, his chin pressed against his
      chest and he was walking around like that not lifting his head. and when he walked
      he walked stiffly prancing like a horse. very strange. whenever he moved or eat or
      drankhewould lay down immediately flat out. I called the vet and he is on potassium
      tumil-k, 2 tabs a day. not sur ehow lng it will take to see improvemnt.
      i haven't seen much posted on this but i have only been part of this group for 2mos
      has anyone experienced this?
      because moe STRESSED out so bad the last time we took him to the vet (he almost
      needed oxygen) we are hesitating taking him there unless absolutely necessary and
      also taking into consideration if the trip would do more harm than good. i do have a
      vet (a different vet) who has come to the house to draw blood and will come next
      week .. that is a great thing. saves a vet trip etc.
      and now it has been two days on the higher dose of potassium and his appettite has
      increased alot! i could find anything online about that either.
      thanks for all the support.
      kwind
    • Dana Rulf
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 23, 2003
        Absolutely, low potassium will make them feel awful. We started
        Merlyn (16 years old, CRF & HCM d'xd last January) on Tumil-K gel and
        noticed a difference within a week. Lasix can be hard on the kidneys,
        and kitties will lose potassium that way -- but considering the good
        that Lasix does, and that there are supplements for the potassium, it
        is sometimes the only answer. Merlyn gets 1 tsp. 2x daily mixed into
        his food.

        By the way, we found a great website for the Tumil-K:
        http://www.nationalpetstore.com/m53.html
        MUCH cheaper than buying at the vet's!

        Hang in there, and keep us posted.
        --Dana
        Merlyn & Tully

        --- In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com, "kwind159" <kwind159@y...> wrote:
        > et all,
        > anyone have any info or links on this re:
        > my cat, moe just came out of a 2 week period of having fluid buildup
        and he went
        > on heavy lasix and was wiped out. from the group and reading i read
        that heavy
        > lasix can drop potassiun levels although i was told that tends to
        happen inolder cats
        > more, so my vet started him on a low dose of potassium last tuesday.
        > however friday i came home and his head was drooped, his chin
        pressed against his
        > chest and he was walking around like that not lifting his head. and
        when he walked
        > he walked stiffly prancing like a horse. very strange. whenever he
        moved or eat or
        > drankhewould lay down immediately flat out. I called the vet and he
        is on potassium
        > tumil-k, 2 tabs a day. not sur ehow lng it will take to see improvemnt.
        > i haven't seen much posted on this but i have only been part of this
        group for 2mos
        > has anyone experienced this?
        > because moe STRESSED out so bad the last time we took him to the vet
        (he almost
        > needed oxygen) we are hesitating taking him there unless absolutely
        necessary and
        > also taking into consideration if the trip would do more harm than
        good. i do have a
        > vet (a different vet) who has come to the house to draw blood and
        will come next
        > week .. that is a great thing. saves a vet trip etc.
        > and now it has been two days on the higher dose of potassium and his
        appettite has
        > increased alot! i could find anything online about that either.
        > thanks for all the support.
        > kwind
      • Ruthie Clark
        Message 3 of 5 , May 30, 2006
          It'll be a while before we run ut of that Tumil K tuff, butwaswondering what he dsage ould be o a powderd supplemet ofr potasiumfor a cat that is between 4-5lb. thank.

          Ruthie and the Pumpkin Patch.

          If you learn from your mistakes, then why ain't I a genius?!

          Visit www.ruthieville.com today for your daily dose of me.

        • Leah Ferron
          Message 4 of 5 , May 31, 2006
            Ruthie,

            I give my Alec potassium gluconate from GNC. I have a GNC store close by so I get a lot of my supplements there. It comes in a tablet form of 99mg. I think I pay about $3 for a bottle of 100 tablets. Cheap!! Alec gets 1/2 pill ground up into his food 2x a day. He is about 7 lbs. His potassium registers just below normal on blood tests so the vet wanted me to give him even more if I could. So, I think it depends also on how low their potassium levels are.

            Leah and her cats

          • nala nala
            Message 5 of 5 , Dec 1, 2007
              HI Cherie,

              I will first mention that If potassium levels
              get too high, then
              it can cause a slow heart rate and a
              fatal arrhythmia, so it is something that
              needs to be monitored. If your cat
              doesn't need potassium, I would
              stay away from it.

              Cozette had bloodwork done first that
              showed that her potassium was low (2.1
              mEq/L).
              We started at 2 mEq 2x/day. Each
              GNC potassium gluconate 99 tablet
              had 2.5 mEq. The veterinary tumil-k
              or renalkare tabs have 2 mEq per tablet.

              After about one month at 2 mEq 2x/day,
              her potassium level had come up (2.5 mEq/L)
              but was still low, so she got 3 mEq 2x/day.
              After another month her level came to around
              4 mEq/L and stayed there for the next
              several months before she died.

              Nala