Re: Poor Kippurr! Sore butt!

  • jenanddeagan
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 8, 2003
      Hello Debbie,

      Impacted anal glands are fairly common, and once they happen
      they are more likely to reoccur. As the stool passes through the
      rectum they should squeeze the gland and empty it. Keeping
      Kippurr's (great name by the way!) movements very regular and formed
      is the best way to keep them from getting impacted. Adding fibre to
      her diet may help. Most vets carry supplements. You can also learn
      how to empty them (don't they stink!) so if it becomes a chronic
      problem, you can do it regularly. Because the gland was infected it
      probably made the emptying very painful, but routine emptying while
      not pleasant is not painful.
      good luck

      jen, deagan and kira the dog

      --- In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com, "Debbie Raikes-May"
      <debbie.raikesmay@d...> wrote:
      > Kippurr (16, heart murmur low grade) was 'doing her business' for
      ages out in the garden tonight so I went to investigate. Was
      horrified to find that although she had 'been' she had blood on her
      back legs and around her bottom. She was in discomfort and dragged
      it along the path, licking furiously and then running and dragging
      again.

      > We rang Kate, our vet, who said to bring her in and I am just back.
      > She had no temp, an empty bladder and colon so no discernible
      problems there but Kate discovered she had one anal gland that had
      not emptied and was very full.
      > She emptied it (sorry for those who may be reading) and a more
      unpleasant process I have yet to witness..both for us and for
      Kippurr - and I am sure- for Kate too.
      > She got a lot of gunge out and gave her a shot of antibiotic.
      > Does any one know a) is this common? b) is it likely to reoccur
      and if yes, what can I do to help prevent it and c) is this
      dangerous?