Cardiac cachexia was Weight loss unexplained

  • Susan
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 5, 2003
      --- gflanley <gflanley@...> wrote:

      > HOWEVER, since this all started, Grace has continued
      > to lose weight.

      eating as
      > normal, two small
      > cans of wet a day and self feeding dry. The vet
      seemed a little intrigued as well!

      It is called cardiac cachexia. Animals that are ill or
      in any kind of organ failure actually have increased
      metabolism and the effects of starvation on an ill
      animal are that they cannabalize their lean muscle
      mass. Hills Prescription Pet Food makes a canned food
      specifically for animals who need extra nutrition
      whether from trauma or illness. It is called Hills
      A/D and your vet can get it for you.

      Read:
      Nutritional Modulation of Cardiac Disease
      http://walthamusa.com/articles/wf102fre.pdf

      Hills A/D has Omega 3 fish oils, carnitine,
      electrolytes, branch chain amino acids, all the
      nutrients mentioned in the article above. It is highly
      palatable and easy to assist feed. I would add it to
      your cat's regular food in increasing quantities to
      transition her to the new food.

      Susan

      =====

      http://antispam.yahoo.com/whatsnewfree