Re: Weight loss unexplained

  • brinkett
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 4, 2003
      Has she been checked for hyperthyroidism?

      --- In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com, "gflanley" <gflanley@y...>
      wrote:
      > Grace, diagnosed with HCM in May with congestive heart failure has
      > fought her way back and has made it to her sixth birthday!
      >
      > Her respiration was a bit labored the last week or so, but with a
      > little salix, it has improved. Took her to the vet on Friday and
      her
      > heart rate and lungs looked pretty good.
      >
      > HOWEVER, since this all started, Grace has continued to lose
      weight.
      > At first, it was understood, she didn't feel well and had to get
      used
      > to the meds, etc. But over the last months, since I would say the
      > end of June or so, she really has seemed like there is not trouble
      at
      > all... almost playing like a kitten and eating as normal, two
      small
      > cans of wet a day and self feeding dry. She has never been
      > overweight, and she is fairly long (part Maine coon I believe).
      >
      > Since May, She has dropped almost a pound. Has anyone had this
      > happen in a cat that is eating well... is this the beginning of
      the
      > end... you know how seniors tend to lose weight for now explained
      > reason. The vet seemed a little intrigued as well!
    • Susan
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 5, 2003
        --- gflanley <gflanley@...> wrote:

        > HOWEVER, since this all started, Grace has continued
        > to lose weight.

        eating as
        > normal, two small
        > cans of wet a day and self feeding dry. The vet
        seemed a little intrigued as well!

        It is called cardiac cachexia. Animals that are ill or
        in any kind of organ failure actually have increased
        metabolism and the effects of starvation on an ill
        animal are that they cannabalize their lean muscle
        mass. Hills Prescription Pet Food makes a canned food
        specifically for animals who need extra nutrition
        whether from trauma or illness. It is called Hills
        A/D and your vet can get it for you.

        Read:
        Nutritional Modulation of
        http://walthamusa.com/articles/wf102fre.pdf

        Hills A/D has Omega 3 fish oils, carnitine,
        electrolytes, branch chain amino acids, all the
        nutrients mentioned in the article above. It is highly
        palatable and easy to assist feed. I would add it to
        your cat's regular food in increasing quantities to
        transition her to the new food.

        Susan

        =====

        http://antispam.yahoo.com/whatsnewfree
      • Susan
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 5, 2003
          --- gflanley <gflanley@...> wrote:

          > HOWEVER, since this all started, Grace has continued
          > to lose weight.

          eating as
          > normal, two small
          > cans of wet a day and self feeding dry. The vet
          seemed a little intrigued as well!

          It is called cardiac cachexia. Animals that are ill or
          in any kind of organ failure actually have increased
          metabolism and the effects of starvation on an ill
          animal are that they cannabalize their lean muscle
          mass. Hills Prescription Pet Food makes a canned food
          specifically for animals who need extra nutrition
          whether from trauma or illness. It is called Hills
          A/D and your vet can get it for you.

          Read:
          Nutritional Modulation of Cardiac Disease