Weight loss unexplained

  • gflanley
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 4, 2003
      Grace, diagnosed with HCM in May with congestive heart failure has
      fought her way back and has made it to her sixth birthday!

      Her respiration was a bit labored the last week or so, but with a
      little salix, it has improved. Took her to the vet on Friday and her
      heart rate and lungs looked pretty good.

      HOWEVER, since this all started, Grace has continued to lose weight.
      At first, it was understood, she didn't feel well and had to get used
      to the meds, etc. But over the last months, since I would say the
      end of June or so, she really has seemed like there is not trouble at
      all... almost playing like a kitten and eating as normal, two small
      cans of wet a day and self feeding dry. She has never been
      overweight, and she is fairly long (part Maine coon I believe).

      Since May, She has dropped almost a pound. Has anyone had this
      happen in a cat that is eating well... is this the beginning of the
      end... you know how seniors tend to lose weight for now explained
      reason. The vet seemed a little intrigued as well!
    • brinkett
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 4, 2003
        Has she been checked for hyperthyroidism?

        --- In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com, "gflanley" <gflanley@y...>
        wrote:
        > Grace, diagnosed with HCM in May with congestive heart failure has
        > fought her way back and has made it to her sixth birthday!
        >
        > Her respiration was a bit labored the last week or so, but with a
        > little salix, it has improved. Took her to the vet on Friday and
        her
        > heart rate and lungs looked pretty good.
        >
        > HOWEVER, since this all started, Grace has continued to lose
        weight.
        > At first, it was understood, she didn't feel well and had to get
        used
        > to the meds, etc. But over the last months, since I would say the
        > end of June or so, she really has seemed like there is not trouble
        at
        > all... almost playing like a kitten and eating as normal, two
        small
        > cans of wet a day and self feeding dry. She has never been
        > overweight, and she is fairly long (part Maine coon I believe).
        >
        > Since May, She has dropped almost a pound. Has anyone had this
        > happen in a cat that is eating well... is this the beginning of
        the
        > end... you know how seniors tend to lose weight for now explained
        > reason. The vet seemed a little intrigued as well!
      • Susan
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 5, 2003
          --- gflanley <gflanley@...> wrote:

          > HOWEVER, since this all started, Grace has continued
          > to lose weight.

          eating as
          > normal, two small
          > cans of wet a day and self feeding dry. The vet
          seemed a little intrigued as well!

          It is called cardiac cachexia. Animals that are ill or
          in any kind of organ failure actually have increased
          metabolism and the effects of starvation on an ill
          animal are that they cannabalize their lean muscle
          mass. Hills Prescription Pet Food makes a canned food
          specifically for animals who need extra nutrition
          whether from trauma or illness. It is called Hills
          A/D and your vet can get it for you.

          Read:
          Nutritional Modulation of
          http://walthamusa.com/articles/wf102fre.pdf

          Hills A/D has Omega 3 fish oils, carnitine,
          electrolytes, branch chain amino acids, all the
          nutrients mentioned in the article above. It is highly
          palatable and easy to assist feed. I would add it to
          your cat's regular food in increasing quantities to
          transition her to the new food.

          Susan

          =====

          http://antispam.yahoo.com/whatsnewfree
        • Susan
          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 5, 2003
            --- gflanley <gflanley@...> wrote:

            > HOWEVER, since this all started, Grace has continued
            > to lose weight.

            eating as
            > normal, two small
            > cans of wet a day and self feeding dry. The vet
            seemed a little intrigued as well!

            It is called cardiac cachexia. Animals that are ill or
            in any kind of organ failure actually have increased
            metabolism and the effects of starvation on an ill
            animal are that they cannabalize their lean muscle
            mass. Hills Prescription Pet Food makes a canned food
            specifically for animals who need extra nutrition
            whether from trauma or illness. It is called Hills
            A/D and your vet can get it for you.

            Read:
            Nutritional Modulation of Cardiac Disease