Re: Sad news!!

  • zanth_99
    Message 1 of 9 , Nov 4, 2003
      I really feel like I am going to lose my
      > best freind, and in all honesty I am not ready!! I have cried
      > everyday since I took him to the vet and I guess I am just looking
      > for support for the pain that I feel. Not everyone understands
      the
      > attachment and the place that animals can have in your life. Has
      > anyone been through this? Thanks for listening..allison

      Hi Allison,

      I certainly know how you feel, Boo Kitty is 12 herself, and she has
      been my best buddy since I adopted her as a little blue grey fluff
      of fur.

      You're definatly doing the right thing by going to the
      Cardiologist. That is the only way that you can truely know what is
      wrong and that the treatment is proper. None of us know how long we
      will have our little sweeties, I just cherish each moment that Boo
      remains a part of my life, and I do everything possible to make sure
      that she is getting the best care that she can.

      Good luck to you both and keep in touch

      Sandy, Boo Kitty & Stinky
    • brinkett
      Message 2 of 9 , Nov 4, 2003
        Hi Allison,

        It's perfectly natural to feel what you do right now. When the vet
        told us about our cat's heart condition I was so shocked that I was
        shaking in his office and couldn't take everything in - I had to
        phone him the next day so he could repeat some of the information.
        I was convinced that our cat was about to drop dead because the vet
        talked to us about every possible scenario. It is certainly a shock
        and frightening at first, and even though in some ways the shock
        will never completely go away, over time you will become more
        accepting and will cherish every day you have with Sunny.

        The good news is that there is medication that can help and
        depending on how early the condition is caught and the severity of
        the condition, some cats will live happy lives for years on
        medication.

        You've done the best thing possible by scheduling an appointment
        with a cardiologist - they will do an ultrasound and from that will
        be able to put Sunny on the best medication for him.

        Try not to pay too much attention to some of what you read on the
        net - I was horrified with what I read, but most sites give very
        general information and sometimes it's out of date. The truth is
        that each cat's case is unique, and the medications and prognosis
        for Sunny will depend on what shows up on the ultrasound.

        Sarah.

        --- In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com, "allisond65" <allisond65@y...>
        wrote:
        > Hi,
        > I have had Sunny for 11 years now, and I can honestly say that he
        > has been my constant. On 10/31/03, I was told by his vet that he
        > has hypertrophic cardiomyapothy. I researched this on the
        internet
        > and have learned that this is incurable and harsh side effects
        could
        > occur rapidly. I am terrified!! I have health problems myself
        and
        > as a child really needed my cat as a sense of security...his
        > unconditional love is really appreciated and needed. I have made
        an
        > appointment with North Carolina State University Vet Hospital to
        see
        > a cardiologist. I realize that this will be a hard road to
        travel,
        > but something I must do. I really feel like I am going to lose my
        > best freind, and in all honesty I am not ready!! I have cried
        > everyday since I took him to the vet and I guess I am just looking
        > for support for the pain that I feel. Not everyone understands
        the
        > attachment and the place that animals can have in your life. Has
        > anyone been through this? Thanks for listening..allison
      • Sara
        Message 3 of 9 , Nov 6, 2003
          Hi Allison,

          I am going through the same thing right now. Only my Toby is just 1 1/2, too young to leave me. I cried for a long time after I found out. Right now I'm going through the "its not fair" phase and at least if he was older I would expect things to start going wrong phase. My 2 cats are like my children, I dont know how I will go on if on leave me this early. You get attached and bonded to them instantly, and when you first get your cat you always have the expectations that you will have them for 10, 15, or even 20 years, especially being an indoor cat. To find out I'll never have that chance was devastating.

          He was diagnosed with obstuctive hypertrophic cardiomyopathy 2 weeks ago. I did get a second opinion since my first vet didnt even tell me the name of what he had! I had to call up and ask, after I finished hyterically crying when he told me he had a "heart muscle problem" over the phone. The second vet was wonderful, told she me everything, what to expect. She said the radiologist who did his ultrasound is well known and the best around, expert in cardiology so that made me feel better. Worst case scenario is that it could happen suddenly, without warning. But no one can predict what will happen all cats react differently. Every time I leave him to go to work I can't help but think that could be the last time I may see him but I am trying not to think like that. I do have more hope now, before when he wasn't on the Atenolol his heart rate was above 200. Being on the medicine now, its down to 160! (normal she said was 150-180). My old vet even had the nerve NOT to
          tell me he should have another ultrasound done in 6 mos! They didnt even tell me his heart rate was so far above normal when they saw him.

          Just live each day to the fullest, enjoy every we have with them. I believe everything happens for a reason, and if I was not meant to have Toby for a long time, then I will believe that God needed him for something else up there.

          allisond65 <allisond65@...> wrote:
[...]

          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

        • jenanddeagan
          Message 4 of 9 , Nov 6, 2003
            Hello Allison,

            I have just joined this group about two weeks ago after learning my
            2yo orange tabby Deagan has a Grade III heart murmur. Our
            appointment is Nov 20th for the cardiologist in Guelph (just west of
            toronto). I have also become the completely paraniod mom over the
            past two weeks. Deagan was sneezing a lot last night and I kept
            thinking his water getting water in his lungs, pulmonary edema, and
            subjecting him having me listen to his breath sounds over and over.
            Of course he looks at me like I'm crazy but I can't help it. This is
            the most incredible group of people and they are a bottomless wealth
            of support, experience and information who understand what you are
            going through.
            Just to give everybody a bit of a smile, I have the biggest
            problem listening to Deagan's heart and lungs with my stethescope
            because he purrs so loudly that is all I can hear! He was doing this
            at the vet too and we all had a good laugh about it.

            Keeping our finger and paws crossed,

            jen, deagan and kira the dog

            Message 5 of 9 , Nov 6, 2003
              > I have just joined this group about two weeks ago after learning
              my
              > 2yo orange tabby Deagan has a Grade III heart murmur. Our
              > appointment is Nov 20th for the cardiologist in Guelph (just west
              of
              > toronto).

              I took Morag to Guelph and I was very impressed with the clinic. It
              is very well run and everyone we dealt with was professional and
              compassionate. A few weeks after your appointment you'll receive a
              report from Guelph that is very detailed and discusses what the
              diagnosis is, what they found when they examined Deagan, what the
              ultrasound showed, the recommended medications, and recommended
              follow-up (of course, they'll discuss all of this with you in person
              at the time and adjust or recommend medications on the spot so that
              Deagan will get going on them right away). Your regular vet also
              gets a copy of everything.

              We'll be taking Morag back to Guelph for a follow-up ultrasound in
              February.

              Let us know how it goes!

              Sarah.
            • jenanddeagan
              Message 6 of 9 , Nov 6, 2003
                Thanks Sarah,

                I was wondering which Dr you saw at Guelph? Did they let you stay
                with Morag? What was the approximate cost of the initial visit? How
                long did the visit take? Deagan is having his initial blood work
                done at my clinic; we are not going to take x-rays (my vet said they
                were fairly inconclusive in cats for heart problems and Deagan
                doesn't have any breathing problems... yet)

                Thanks!

                jen and deagan and kira the dog

                --- In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com, "brinkett" <scrubbrush@r...>
                wrote:
                > > I have just joined this group about two weeks ago after learning
                > my
                > > 2yo orange tabby Deagan has a Grade III heart murmur. Our
                > > appointment is Nov 20th for the cardiologist in Guelph (just
                west
                > of
                > > toronto).
                >
                > I took Morag to Guelph and I was very impressed with the clinic.
                It
                > is very well run and everyone we dealt with was professional and
                > compassionate. A few weeks after your appointment you'll receive
                > report from Guelph that is very detailed and discusses what the
                > diagnosis is, what they found when they examined Deagan, what the
                > ultrasound showed, the recommended medications, and recommended
                > follow-up (of course, they'll discuss all of this with you in
                person
                > at the time and adjust or recommend medications on the spot so
                that
                > Deagan will get going on them right away). Your regular vet also
                > gets a copy of everything.
                >
                > We'll be taking Morag back to Guelph for a follow-up ultrasound in
                > February.
                >
                > Let us know how it goes!
                >
                > Sarah.
              • brinkett
                Message 7 of 9 , Nov 6, 2003
                  Hi Jen,

                  I hope you and Deagan have a good experience at Guelph because we
                  certainly did, even though the results weren't what we wanted to
                  hear. I'd do it again if I ever have another cat diagnosed with a
                  heart problem.

                  We saw Dr. Minors and Dr. Williams. Dr. Williams is a cardiologist
                  who was visiting from the US so I don't know if she'll still be
                  there or not.

                  I'll tell you what happened to us, though Morag was in CHF at the
                  time so probably some extra steps were done that may not be
                  necessary for Deagan. Background: when we took Morag for her
                  regular check-up in August, the vet thought her heart sounds were
                  muffled and loud, so we scheduled her for an ultrasound that was
                  done at our regular vet clinic. We were told that she had "severe
                  cardiac disease" and in fact was in CHF - chest X-rays showed that
                  her lungs were filled with fluid. She was put on a medication
                  regimen that initially cleared up her lungs but they started to fill
                  again. Around this time I made my initial post here and several
                  people suggested that I take Morag to see a cardiologist, so that's
                  when we arranged the appointment at Guelph.

                  Our appointment was for 9:45am. We were taken on time and initially
                  Morag was examined by two 4th year veterinary students. They then
                  left the room to meet with Dr. Minors and then they all came back
                  and Dr. Minors told us what they wanted to do. In Morag's case, her
                  respiration rate was high because we knew she was in CHF so they
                  wanted to do chest X-rays to see how bad her lungs were, and also
                  repeat the ultrasound, and it turns out that their ultrasound
                  machine has a higher resolution than the one used at most regular
                  vets. Dr. Williams arrived partway through the discussion and was
                  always present for everything after that.

                  Now, we had the choice of staying with Morag for the ultrasound. I
                  made the decision not to stay for two reasons - the first being that
                  I knew it was going to be bad based on the previous one and I didn't
                  want our presence to inhibit frank comments and conversation among
                  the vets and students taking part. The second reason was that I was
                  afraid I'd be too emotional if the ultrasound showed that her heart
                  was bad, and given the results, I'm glad we didn't stay because I
                  imagine there were quite a few exclamations when they had a look at
                  her heart.

                  So they gave us a pager and arranged for us to return to the clinic
                  around 1:30pm. The pager was in case Morag became distressed and
                  they were having problems calming her down, though we gave
                  permission for the use of a mild narcotic if she required it (she
                  didn't). We had lunch, did some shopping, and strolled around the
                  university grounds. When we returned, they had had an emergency so
                  they hadn't done the ultrasound yet, so we strolled some more and
                  they were ready for us when we went back at about 2:45pm.

                  The news was worse than we expected, and we were expecting bad news -
                  the first words out of Dr. Minor's mouth were "your cat has a very
                  unusual heart that isn't in any textbook. Nobody knows how to treat
                  or slow progression of the disease - just management of the
                  symptoms". It turns out that Morag has RCM with a poor prognosis.
                  Their ultrasound machine showed a lot more detail and so it wasn't
                  that her wall was severely thickened, in fact her wall is only
                  mildly thickened and in some areas thinner than normal, but rather
                  that her left ventricle is mis-shapen and filled with fibrous junk.
                  Her left atrium is also huge and they suspected that it might
                  contain a clot.

                  We discussed her condition and her medications were adjusted and we
                  left there about 4:30pm. Since then, we've had to adjust her
                  medication again because the initial regimen didn't keep her lungs
                  clear. So our regular vet consulted with Dr. Minors, her
                  medications were adjusted, and for the past few weeks her lungs have
                  stayed clear. It usually takes some experimentation to find the
                  right combination of medication that will stabilize a cat in CHF.

                  If Deagan is started on medication or his medication is changed (I
                  don't recall whether he's currently on medication), you'll have to
                  take him to your regular vet about a week later so they can take
                  some blood to check his electrolyte levels. It doesn't sound like
                  he'll need a diuretic, but if he does, they'll also check his kidney
                  values.

                  So it was an all day visit, and it cost us about $580 but that
                  included the examination, chest X-rays, ultrasound, and an injection
                  of lasix because the chest X-rays showed that her lungs were quite
                  bad. A few weeks after the visit, you'll receive a complete report
                  in the mail and a copy is also given to your regular vet. The
                  report contained much more detail about Morag's condition and
                  prognosis, including an actual name for her particular condition
                  (endomyocardial fibrosis, a subclassification of restrictive
                  cardiomyopathy).

                  Poor Morag - thank goodness we had brought a make-shift cat litter
                  box for the car because 1/2 an hour into the drive home she really
                  needed to go due to the lasix, so there she was balancing herself
                  over a little litter box while we were driving about 80km/h through
                  a construction zone. I told her that not too many cats have that
                  experience so she's living life on the wild side, tricky ticker and
                  all! :-)

                  Anyway, I hope this long post gives you a good idea of what will
                  take place during your appointment. Let us know how it goes!

                  Sarah.

                  --- In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com, "jenanddeagan"

                  Message 8 of 9 , Nov 8, 2003
                    Sarah,
                    Thank you so much! Deagan hasn't had any workup yet. We have
                    known since April that he had a heart murmur but that vet did not
                    suggest any workup. When I took him in for his dentistry, my usual
                    vet suggested the workup of his murmur and I decided to get
                    everything done at Guelph, get the expert opinion right off. So
                    he's on no meds yet, our appt is on Nov 20th.

                    fingers and paws still crossed,

                    jen, deagan and kira the dog