[CRF] Re: [FH] Putney needs prayers

  • jenanddeagan
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 1, 2003
      Hello Debra,

      I'm so sorry to hear about Putney, I have been thinking about
      him all evening.
      When the vet said that lasix will not work, it is because lasix
      will do little for fluid that is in the space around the lung. If
      they are tapping his chest and removing it, the fluid is not in the
      lung itself, (ie aveoli or breathing spaces) and lasix will not
      affect fluid in this area. However, if he has developed pulmonary
      edema or fluid in the lungs themselves as well, the lasix will help.
      I hope Putney has pulled through the night and will continue to
      rally.

      our thoughts are with you,

      jen, deagan and kira dog

      --- In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com, Debra Yarrington
      <yarringt@a...> wrote:
      > I just called the emergency vet. I asked if there was anything I
      could
      > do, and she said no -
      > the only thing to do was to tap his chest and give him oxygen, and
      > couldn't do either.
      >
      > She doesn't want me to give lasix because she says it won't work
      for his
      > fluids. I have
      > lasix here. I'm tempted to give him some because that's contrary
      > everything I've heard.
      > I gave it to Tigger and I gave it to Putney before. He has no
      interest
      > in eating anything
      > whatsoever, and I'm just afraid to try assist-feeding him anything
      > because if it stresses
      > him out at all, I'm afraid it will just push him over the top. I
      also
      > have some pedialyte
      > from April (for Tigger) that I've kept in the freezer. Would that
      be
      > okay to put in a separate
      > bowl of water for him?
      >
      > I know we really are at the very end, and unless something changes
      this
      > is it. But I just need
      > to know there wasn't anything else I could've done that might have
      given
      > me more time.
      >
      > I turned up the heat. He doesn't like me fussing over him too
      much, so
      > at this point I
      > put him on my robe and put him in my bedroom and closed the door
      and
      > turned the
      > light out. I thougth that would be peaceful. I will put the
      other cats
      > to bed and feed the
      > outdoor strays and then I will go quietly into the bedroom and lay
      on my
      > bed so I can
      > be with him and hear if he gets in trouble.
      >
      > My poor baby. I love him.
      > -Deb
      >

      > tward78771@m... wrote:
      >
      > > Deb-
      > >
      > > Maybe you can get the vet to prescribe a small dose of diuretic
      > > relieve the additional fluid build-up. Can you call them to
      phone in
      > > an Rx? Most of the members seem to be using Lasix for this. It
      > > sounds like the vet may have hydrated him too fast without
      monitoring
      > > his hydration level adequately. They usually have to adjust the
      drip
      > > frequently; because there is such a risk of this happening.
      Good
      > > luck, Debra-both you and Putney are in my prayers tonight. I'm
      pretty
      > > sure he'll snap back if you can get him on a diuretic quickly
      (which
      > > will prevent his going into congestive heart failure). God
      bless.

      > > Love,
      > >
      > > Terry & Angel Jinx
      > >

      > >> From: Debra Yarrington <yarringt@a...>
      > >> To: Debra Yarrington <yarringt@a...>
      > >> CC: Feline-CRF-Support <Feline-CRF-Support@yahoogroups.com>,
      > >> feline-heart@yahoogroups.com
      > >> Subject: [CRF] Re: [FH] Putney needs prayers
      > >> Date: Fri, 31 Oct 2003 20:12:35 -0500
      > >>
      > >> If any of you have any suggestions at all whatsoever, I'm
      taking them.
      > >> I'm desperate.
      > >>
      > >> -Debra & Putney
      > >> who are still missing Tigger

      > >> trouble
      > >> said it
      She said
      > >> which
      > >> brought him

      He looked
      > >> then

      Tuesday. He
      > >> needs to

      > >> TO UNSUBSCRIBE from this list, email to:
      > >>
      > >> All messages sent to feline-crf-support@yahoogroups.com are
      Copyright