Re: [CRF] Re: [FH] Putney needs prayers

  • Debra Yarrington
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 31, 2003
      I just called the emergency vet. I asked if there was anything I could
      do, and she said no -
      the only thing to do was to tap his chest and give him oxygen, and I
      couldn't do either.

      She doesn't want me to give lasix because she says it won't work for his
      fluids. I have
      lasix here. I'm tempted to give him some because that's contrary to
      everything I've heard.
      I gave it to Tigger and I gave it to Putney before. He has no interest
      in eating anything
      whatsoever, and I'm just afraid to try assist-feeding him anything
      because if it stresses
      him out at all, I'm afraid it will just push him over the top. I also
      have some pedialyte
      from April (for Tigger) that I've kept in the freezer. Would that be
      okay to put in a separate
      bowl of water for him?

      I know we really are at the very end, and unless something changes this
      is it. But I just need
      to know there wasn't anything else I could've done that might have given
      me more time.

      I turned up the heat. He doesn't like me fussing over him too much, so
      at this point I
      put him on my robe and put him in my bedroom and closed the door and
      turned the
      light out. I thougth that would be peaceful. I will put the other cats
      to bed and feed the
      outdoor strays and then I will go quietly into the bedroom and lay on my
      bed so I can
      be with him and hear if he gets in trouble.

      My poor baby. I love him.
      -Deb

    • diane
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 31, 2003
        Deb,

        Is this your regular vet as well? If not, can you get in touch with
        her? Another emergency vet? I don't know why they have issues at
        nights and weekends when we have a more difficult time finding help
        for them. :(

        I have had no experience with lasix and fluids so I will bow to those
        that have, and hope they can give you some guidance.

        Keeping Putney and you in my thoughts tonight.....

        Diane
        ps - no need to write me back directly, put your energies on Putney of course

        At 10:12 PM -0500 10/31/03, Debra Yarrington wrote:
        >I just called the emergency vet. I asked if there was anything I could
        >do, and she said no -
        >the only thing to do was to tap his chest and give him oxygen, and I
        >couldn't do either.
        >
        >She doesn't want me to give lasix because she says it won't work for his
        >fluids. I have
        >lasix here. I'm tempted to give him some because that's contrary to
        >everything I've heard.
        >I gave it to Tigger and I gave it to Putney before. He has no interest
        >in eating anything
        >whatsoever, and I'm just afraid to try assist-feeding him anything
        >because if it stresses
        >him out at all, I'm afraid it will just push him over the top. I also
        >have some pedialyte
        >from April (for Tigger) that I've kept in the freezer. Would that be
        >okay to put in a separate
        >bowl of water for him?
        >
        >I know we really are at the very end, and unless something changes this
        >is it. But I just need
        >to know there wasn't anything else I could've done that might have given
        >me more time.
        >
        >I turned up the heat. He doesn't like me fussing over him too much, so
        >at this point I
        >put him on my robe and put him in my bedroom and closed the door and
        >turned the
        >light out. I thougth that would be peaceful. I will put the other cats
        >to bed and feed the
        >outdoor strays and then I will go quietly into the bedroom and lay on my
        >bed so I can
        >be with him and hear if he gets in trouble.
        >
        >My poor baby. I love him.
        >-Deb

      • Jim Hayes
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 31, 2003
          Hi, Debra...

          I'm glad Putney's home, sorry he's got you so worried.

          I'd go ahead and use the lasix if you think it's warranted.
          The folks at the ER don't know his case or condition, can't
          see him... so of course they're going to be conservative in
          suggesting anything for you to do ... they'd be more
          comfortable doing it themselves, of course!

          Pedialyte sounds ok to me too.

          At least he's able to get up and walk, and lie on his side.
          And his kidney numbers are down.

          Please don't worry about saying goodbye tonight, or
          tomorrow. Being/seeming miserable is recoverable. Not every
          sick kitty jumps for joy the first step into the house after
          a harrowing hospital experience! Just keep him quiet, love
          him, and treat him in the best way you know how.

          Love and peace from us all,

          Jim
        • brinkett
          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 1, 2003
            How is Putney doing today?

            Sarah.

            --- In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com, Debra Yarrington
            <yarringt@a...> wrote:
            > I just called the emergency vet. I asked if there was anything I
            could
            > do, and she said no -
            > the only thing to do was to tap his chest and give him oxygen, and
            > couldn't do either.
          • jenanddeagan
            Message 5 of 5 , Nov 1, 2003
              Hello Debra,

              I'm so sorry to hear about Putney, I have been thinking about
              him all evening.
              When the vet said that lasix will not work, it is because lasix
              will do little for fluid that is in the space around the lung. If
              they are tapping his chest and removing it, the fluid is not in the
              lung itself, (ie aveoli or breathing spaces) and lasix will not
              affect fluid in this area. However, if he has developed pulmonary
              edema or fluid in the lungs themselves as well, the lasix will help.
              I hope Putney has pulled through the night and will continue to
              rally.

              our thoughts are with you,

              jen, deagan and kira dog