Average Respiration Rate ????

  • Sheila Coyle
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 31, 2003
      Is twenty two breaths per minute for an adult cat average respiration rate?

      Sheila
      Creamy Guy: 12 years: HCM, FIV, CRF
      Nebraska
      scoyle@...

    • brinkett
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 31, 2003
        Average is 15-30 breaths/min, but the best thing to do is to get
        used to your own cat's breathing pattern and rate when you know the
        lungs are clear. But 22 is good. I read somewhere that if they
        start to go above 30 you probably want to give the vet a call.

        Sarah.

        --- In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com, "Sheila Coyle" <scoyle@a...>
        wrote:

        > Is twenty two breaths per minute for an adult cat average
        respiration rate?

        > Sheila
        > Creamy Guy: 12 years: HCM, FIV, CRF
        > Nebraska
        > scoyle@a...

      • brinkett
        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 31, 2003
          I should clarify that this rate is for a cat at rest. They often
          breathe much faster when they are active, sniffing the air, purring,
          excited, etc. I always take Morag's rate when she's sleeping. She
          likes sleeping in a little basket near the computer and once I know
          she's settled down I take her respiration rate. I do this about 2-3
          times a day.

          Sarah.

          --- In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com, "brinkett" <scrubbrush@r...>