Re: Need help in Maine, and intro

  • Steph Schoff
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 31, 2003
      Hi Grace,
      I live in southern Maine, also (Eliot). I'm sorry your cats both
      have murmurs. They are so handsome! Oliver's face reminds me of my
      sweet Gus. Joey looks like such a charmer!
      Our Gus had HCM & passed away in June '03 from a saddle thrombus. We
      miss him so much. Today is his birthday and he would be 5 yrs old.

      Unfortunately there are no cardiologists in ME or NH. In the
      seacoast area there is a female vet who travels around & does
      ultrasounds. She is not board certified in cardiology but is
      experienced. Your local vet sets up an appt & she comes to your
      vet's office. We used to see her before we found out veterinary
      cardiologists existed. That's when we started taking Gus to Angell
      Memorial Animal Hospital in Boston. There is a tremendous amt of
      expertise at this hospital. We took Gus to see Dr. Nancy Laste who
      is a vet cardiologist and at the top of her game. I believe Angell
      offers financial assistance/payment plans. We found their prices to
      be much lower, too. We felt Gus rec'd much better care at Angell,
      too. There is also Tufts Vet Hospital in Grafton, MA.
      You might want to call these places and they can give you info on
      costs, etc.

      If you need any other info, I'd be glad to help any way I can.
      Good luck w/ your boys & please keep us posted.

      All our best,
      Steph, Angel Gus, Louise & Mr. Whiskers
      http://www.gussielou.com

      Please support the Winn Feline Foundation - Feline Hypertrophic
      Cardiomyopathy Research

      http://www.winnfelinehealth.org/ricky-fund.html

      In memory of Gus 10/31/98 - 6/13/03
      The Best Kitty Ever