New member intro

  • Mary E. Todd
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 20, 2003
      Hi,

      I have been lurking on this list for a while and thought it time to
      do an intro. Our cat Krisper is 13 years old and was diagnosed with
      CHF last spring. He also had megacolon about a year ago and we have
      to treat him for chronic constipation. He is currently about 15 lbs
      and on Wellness dry and canned (we add lactulose to it for the
      constipation). His drug schedule is as follows: 2x a day: 1 lasix and
      1 enalapril tab. 1x a day: stool softener, cisapride, potassium
      supplement. Every other day he gets 1/4 tab of digoxin (this is new
      for the last month), and twice a week he takes 1/4 baby aspirin.
      Luckily, he is the mellowest Buddha cat and tolerates the pilling
      with very few problems -- and looks forward to his treats afterward.

      Last Tuesday, in the space of about 15 minutes, Krisper had diarrhea
      on the floor in the study. A few minutes later, as I was cleaning it
      up, we heard an unnatural yowl and ran into the living room where he
      had vomited up his dinner. Within minutes, he was settled down again,
      and has been fine since. We took him to the vet (my first thought was
      possible digoxin toxicity – but the blood test came back fine). The
      vet thinks it was probably an angina attack. Has anyone else's cat
      experienced this? The vet said, unfortunately there is nothing more
      we can do, except get him to oxygen if it were to occur again.

      Thanks; I have already learned a lot from looking at the archives.

      Mary
    • brinkett
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 20, 2003
        Did it happen close to when he had one of his 1/4 aspirins or his
        other medications? Some cats are very sensitive to ASA. Morag
        throws up her aspirin about 70% of the time, and we have now stopped
        giving it to her, with the vet's knowledge, because unfortunately
        her other medication sometimes comes up with it. It also makes her
        a little suspicious of her medicated treats and we just can't have
        that. We've tried giving it with food, giving it at different times
        of the day, close to her other medication, hours away from her other
        medication, and it makes no difference so she's just one of those
        cats whose stomach is irritated by it.

        In Krisper's case, could it also have been a simple upset
        tummy/digestive system, perhaps? He does take quite a bit of
        medication from the sounds of it.

        Welcome to the group! :-)

        Sarah.

        --- In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com, "Mary E. Todd" <maryetodd@y...>
        wrote:
        > Hi,
        >
        > I have been lurking on this list for a while and thought it time
        > do an intro. Our cat Krisper is 13 years old and was diagnosed
        with
        > CHF last spring. He also had megacolon about a year ago and we
        have
        > to treat him for chronic constipation. He is currently about 15
        lbs
        > and on Wellness dry and canned (we add lactulose to it for the
        > constipation). His drug schedule is as follows: 2x a day: 1 lasix
        and
        > 1 enalapril tab. 1x a day: stool softener, cisapride, potassium
        > supplement. Every other day he gets 1/4 tab of digoxin (this is
        new
        > for the last month), and twice a week he takes 1/4 baby aspirin.
        > Luckily, he is the mellowest Buddha cat and tolerates the pilling
        > with very few problems -- and looks forward to his treats
        afterward.

        > Last Tuesday, in the space of about 15 minutes, Krisper had
        diarrhea
        > on the floor in the study. A few minutes later, as I was cleaning
        it
        > up, we heard an unnatural yowl and ran into the living room where
        he
        > had vomited up his dinner. Within minutes, he was settled down
        again,
        > and has been fine since. We took him to the vet (my first thought
        was
        > possible digoxin toxicity – but the blood test came back fine).
        The
        > vet thinks it was probably an angina attack. Has anyone else's cat
        > experienced this? The vet said, unfortunately there is nothing
        more
        > we can do, except get him to oxygen if it were to occur again.
        >
        > Thanks; I have already learned a lot from looking at the archives.
        >
        > Mary
      • sosomanycats
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 3, 2004
          Hi. I have been dealing with cardiac problems for 8 years and am so
          glad I found this group (thanks Aynes). Currently I live with 2 cats
          with heart problems, and have lost 3 in the last 2 years.

          PURRALOT: Purr, 8 years old, going strong. Dx at 5 months, no heart
          murmur, went into CHF- could hold his head up for only a few
          seconds, barely walk a few steps, liquids placed in his mouth just
          ran out. ER gave him virtually no chance of survival. We took him
          home, rented an oxygen generator, at least he would be comfortable
          and with people who loved him. Within a week he was back to his
          normal self (HOPE for all those with dire prognoses). Echo showed
          moderate HCM, stable since then. Meds: atenolol 25 mg 1/2 tab,
          enalapril 2.5mg 1/2 tab, baby aspirin 1/2 tab every 4 days.
          QUESTIONS: Should the aspirin be every 3 days? Does anyone know of a
          sedative safe to use with HCM and these meds? We are moving from NY
          to FL and Purr hates the car, screams continually.

          CUTE FACE: Cutie, 4 years old, asymptomatic. Dx a year ago with
          a "regular" irregular heart rhythm- EKG- one regular beat followed
          by one gallop beat, consistently. Xrays, echo showed nothing.
          Bloodwork normal. Primary care vet and cardiologist have never seen
          this pattern. Various meds had no effect, so discontinued and we are
          just to "watch" her. ANY COMMENTS, anyone?

          My angels: WISP, Purr's mom, feral, caught when she went into chf,
          asymptomatic as far as we knew before that, died on the way to the
          ER, "presumed" hcm, last july.
          OREO, my "kiss-kiss" baby, big ball of lovin', Purr's brother, minor
          ventricular septal defect (small hole), cardio. said hole not bad
          enough to cause his 3 major chf episodes, but Xrays, EKG, echo,
          color doppler showed nothing except the hole. 2 years ago Oreo had
          dinner, went to sleep, woke up 3 hrs later, walked across the room,
          fell over panting, died before we got to the ER, 8 miles away.
          BABY HAZE: Purr's 1 yr. younger sister, my husband's best buddy. At
          age 3 1/2 yrs., woke up, walked across the bed, fell over, died in
          hub's arms on the way to ER. Autopsy- hcm. Asymptomatic prior.

          Thanks. Randi, missing my angels, but grateful for Purr's and Cute's
          stability
        • Susan
          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 4, 2004
            --- sosomanycats <somanycats@...> wrote:
            Echo showed
            > moderate HCM, stable since then. Meds: atenolol 25
            > mg 1/2 tab,
            > enalapril 2.5mg 1/2 tab, baby aspirin 1/2 tab every
            > 4 days.
            > QUESTIONS: Should the aspirin be every 3 days?

            Aspirin is safe to give in the range of 1/2 of an 81
            mg. to a whole 81 mg. every 72 hours. Because it is
            easier to remember twice a week some people give
            aspirin on the same two days weekly.

            Recently a vet on another group mentioned seeing a
            paper about the experimental use of 5 mg. aspirin
            daily. This would require a special formulation as
            this is 1/18 of a 81 mg. aspirin. Owners of cats who
            are extremely high risk of thromboembolism may want to
            ask their cardiologists/internists about this as the
            vet who mentioned it did not remember what the
            efficacy was.

            > CUTE FACE: Cutie, 4 years old, asymptomatic. Dx a
            > year ago with
            > a "regular" irregular heart rhythm- EKG- one regular
            > beat followed
            > by one gallop beat, consistently. Xrays, echo showed
            > nothing.
            > Bloodwork normal. Primary care vet and cardiologist
            > have never seen
            > this pattern. Various meds had no effect, so
            > discontinued and we are
            > just to "watch" her. ANY COMMENTS, anyone?

            You may want to look at VetGoCardiology Concepts as it
            is meant for veterinary students and is very detailed
            and up to date:

            http://www.vetgo.com/cardio/concepts/concindx.php

            I got 14 results for gallop.

            Susan

            > My angels: WISP, Purr's mom, feral, caught when she
            > went into chf,
            > asymptomatic as far as we knew before that, died on
            > the way to the
            > ER, "presumed" hcm, last july.
            > OREO, my "kiss-kiss" baby, big ball of lovin',
            > Purr's brother, minor
            > ventricular septal defect (small hole), cardio. said
            > hole not bad
            > enough to cause his 3 major chf episodes, but Xrays,
            > EKG, echo,
            > color doppler showed nothing except the hole. 2
            > years ago Oreo had
            > dinner, went to sleep, woke up 3 hrs later, walked
            > across the room,
            > fell over panting, died before we got to the ER, 8
            > miles away.
            > BABY HAZE: Purr's 1 yr. younger sister, my husband's
            > best buddy. At
            > age 3 1/2 yrs., woke up, walked across the bed, fell
            > over, died in
            > hub's arms on the way to ER. Autopsy- hcm.
            > Asymptomatic prior.
            >
            > Thanks. Randi, missing my angels, but grateful for
            > Purr's and Cute's
            > stability

            > --------------------~-->

            http://us.click.yahoo.com/Z1wmxD/DREIAA/yQLSAA/Zh0wlB/TM

            http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
          • A.K. Farrell
            Message 5 of 6 , Nov 12, 2004
              Hello,

              My name is Amy. My cat Betti was just diagnosed with
              hypertrophic cardiomyopathy. She has no symptoms, other than
              the heart murmur that tipped the vet off -- and for this I
              feel quite fortunate. I've joined the list to find out more
              about managing this condition.

              I also lost my first cat to HCM about six years ago. His
              first sign of trouble was heart failure, and he was only
              with me for a couple more months after that. For this reason
              I had to fight back a bit of panic about Betti's diagnosis,
              but I think I've gotten past that.

              Here's Betti's story (well, her medical story):

              Betti's vet heard her heart murmur during a regular exam
              about two weeks ago. She was last at the vet's a year ago
              and didn't have a heart murmur then. We had already planned
              a blood panel (Betti's first "geriatric" workup). The good
              news on that was: great-looking labwork. I took her in for
              an echocardiogram and chest x-ray on Monday, which confirmed
              HCM.

              Betti's vet tells me we've caught this early, and with
              treatment she will probably do well for several years. I
              don't know how old Betti is; we have her listed as eight
              years old on her chart, but it's just a guess.

              The vet has prescribed diltiazem, 22.7 mg/day (it's the
              time-release variety). She also recommended I start Betti on
              aspirin -- 1/2 of a baby aspirin every third day.

              I picked up the diltiazem today and gave Betti her first
              dose tonight. It's several little beads in a capsule, and
              the pharmacist says it can be given sprinkled on food. I
              thought I'd try giving her the capsule anyway, as I'll no
              doubt have to give the baby aspirin as a pill. I tried the
              trick of putting butter on the capsule to make it slide down
              better, but I think that only caused the capsule to stick to
              my fingers, and ultimately I was unsuccessful. I wound up
              bringing Betti a "peace offering" with diltiazem sprinkled
              on top, and that went down just fine.

              - Amy
            • Sue B
              Message 6 of 6 , Dec 1, 2004
                Hi,

                I've joined the group because my little girl Pepper was just diagnosed with heart disease. Pepper is an 11-year old Maine Coon cat (brown tabby). She is just getting over her second bout of pneumonia since June. Her first episode was 6/16 and her last one was 11/19. The clinic decided to do a sonogram on her (11/22) and found that she has a slightly enlarged left ventricle.

                She was not responding well to the antibiotics so the vet put her on 10mg of Furosemide (Lasix generic) twice daily. She started this past Monday evening and is really improving daily.

                Her lungs still sound wet so we have a ways to go.

                I've ordered a baby scale so I can monitor her weight and fluid retention.

                I'm not sure what to expect since I've never had an animal with a heart condition or even known any person with one. I do have one question - do I need to monitor her electrolyte levels? I would think so. If so, can anyone give me their experience or suggestions?

                Thanks so much!
                Sue & Pepper

                p.s. If anyone wants to see her photo, she's posted on my web site - http://www.magdrl-nj.com/photos03.html