Re: HCM and hyperthyroid

  • jenmcgovern2001
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 2, 2003
      Hi Marcia and Morris,

      My cat Urchin was diagnosed with HCM and hyperthyroidism in October
      2002. He was treated with methimazole (tapazole), atenolol, and
      lasix. His only symptom was rapid weight loss (from 11 pounds to 7-8
      pounds). We started on a higher dose of methimazole than you (5
      mg/day) but Urchin's T4 was higher than your kitty's (10--off the
      charts). I think the vet tries to start them out at the lowest dose
      possible to correct the thyroid levels, and weight comes into account
      as well. By the way, some pharmacies can compound the methimazole
      pills into liquids or transdermal ointment (you rub it in his ear),
      which can make your life a little easier (especially with multiple
      pills). We didn't have any difficulties with the heart rate getting
      too low--just coped with irregularities more and more after Urchin
      developed CHF. You'll probably have to monitor the T4 levels to make
      sure they aren't too high or too low--we had trouble with both hyper-
      and hypo-thyroidism over the year that Urchin took the meds. We
      checked the levels monthly. Urchin really bounced back for a while
      after starting methimazole--gained weight, improved activity levels,
      etc. Unfortunately, he developed CHF about a month ago and passed
      away about two weeks ago. However, he did very well for almost a year
      on the meds and had a good quality of life.

      Hope Morris does well on the new meds--sounds like you're very
      prepared. (Wish I had gotten a stethoscope--I just took my kitty into
      the vet's to have his heart rate checked.) You're doing a great job
      taking care of him.

      Best wishes, Jen and Urchin (angel kitty)
    • marcijoy2002
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 3, 2003
        You can get a veterinary stethoscope from Foster and Smith for, I
        think, about $7.00. When we figure out what Morris' correct dose of
        methimazole will be, I'm thinking of having all his different
        medications compounded into one tablet, if they can go together. I
        don't like giving liquids because I can never be sure he's getting
        the exact dose, and ointments are out of the question because my two
        cats groom each other constantly, and I wouldn't want my other cat
        swallowing Morris' medicine.

        Marcia and Morris

        --- In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com, "jenmcgovern2001"