Re: HCM and hyperthyroid

  • Lorraine Benson
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 1, 2003
      Hi Marcia,

      My cat, Kit, was diagnosed in February 2002 with both HCM and
      hyperthyroidism. He collapsed in February 2002, and both conditions were
      diagnosed as a result of his cardiac work-up. It took a while to get the
      medications and dosages worked out, but he is on 7.5mg of Diltiazem twice a
      day, and 2.5mg of methimazole twice a day and doing very well.

      Best to you and Morris.

      Lorraine

      > I wanted to ask if anyone had a cat who was diagnosed with >hyperthyroid
      after being diagnosed with hypertrophic >cardiomyopathy?
    • jenmcgovern2001
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 2, 2003
        Hi Marcia and Morris,

        My cat Urchin was diagnosed with HCM and hyperthyroidism in October
        2002. He was treated with methimazole (tapazole), atenolol, and
        lasix. His only symptom was rapid weight loss (from 11 pounds to 7-8
        pounds). We started on a higher dose of methimazole than you (5
        mg/day) but Urchin's T4 was higher than your kitty's (10--off the
        charts). I think the vet tries to start them out at the lowest dose
        possible to correct the thyroid levels, and weight comes into account
        as well. By the way, some pharmacies can compound the methimazole
        pills into liquids or transdermal ointment (you rub it in his ear),
        which can make your life a little easier (especially with multiple
        pills). We didn't have any difficulties with the heart rate getting
        too low--just coped with irregularities more and more after Urchin
        developed CHF. You'll probably have to monitor the T4 levels to make
        sure they aren't too high or too low--we had trouble with both hyper-
        and hypo-thyroidism over the year that Urchin took the meds. We
        checked the levels monthly. Urchin really bounced back for a while
        after starting methimazole--gained weight, improved activity levels,
        etc. Unfortunately, he developed CHF about a month ago and passed
        away about two weeks ago. However, he did very well for almost a year
        on the meds and had a good quality of life.

        Hope Morris does well on the new meds--sounds like you're very
        prepared. (Wish I had gotten a stethoscope--I just took my kitty into
        the vet's to have his heart rate checked.) You're doing a great job
        taking care of him.

        Best wishes, Jen and Urchin (angel kitty)
      • marcijoy2002
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 3, 2003
          You can get a veterinary stethoscope from Foster and Smith for, I
          think, about $7.00. When we figure out what Morris' correct dose of
          methimazole will be, I'm thinking of having all his different
          medications compounded into one tablet, if they can go together. I
          don't like giving liquids because I can never be sure he's getting
          the exact dose, and ointments are out of the question because my two
          cats groom each other constantly, and I wouldn't want my other cat
          swallowing Morris' medicine.

          Marcia and Morris

          --- In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com, "jenmcgovern2001"