Re: Alternatives to Atenolol?

  • brinkett
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 1, 2003
      The key point is that you were told by the vet to take him off. The
      original poster should consult with her vet and/or cardiologist and
      follow their recommendations.

      This is a great place to share experiences and knowledge, but one
      thing we shouldn't do is tell someone to change their cat's
      medication regimen. This should only be done in consultation with
      their vet. The best we can do is relate our experiences with a
      medication, which I think is extremely helpful, and then suggest
      that the person consult with their vet about the medications that
      their cat is on if they are having concerns or doubts about it.

      Hopefully your post about your experience with atenolol will prompt
      the original poster to speak to her vet about whether atenolol is
      making her cat ill. However, she should not discontinue the
      atenolol or make any other changes to her cat's medication unless
      instructed to do so by her vet.

      --- In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com, Jennifer Trendler
      <jennifert@n...> wrote:
      > Well - don't know what to say. I saw Chase the way he was - and
      was told to
      > take him off completely and suddenly.
      >
      > It worked and now he's fine.

    • Susan
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 1, 2003
        --- brinkett <scrubbrush@...> wrote:
        > The key point is that you were told by the vet to
        > take him off. The
        > original poster should consult with her vet and/or
        > cardiologist and
        > follow their recommendations.

        I agree. We need to realize that HCM is just a
        catchall term for an extremely variable disease. I
        posted the info from Plumb's Book of Veterinary Drugs
        because not every symptom being attributed to
        beta-blockade is necessarily a result of
        beta-blockade. Sometimes things that we think are
        related are simply a coincidence. Anorexia and
        lethargy are symptoms of the disease and may have more
        to do with decompensation. No one here is in a
        position to recommend any mode of treatment or
        discontinuation of treatment. If you think your vet
        may be wrong seek out another board certified ACVIM
        veternarian. And always report any new symptoms to
        your vet cardiologist or internist. JMHO.

        Susan

        =====

        http://shopping.yahoo.com