HCM and hyperthyroid

  • marcijoy2002
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 30, 2003
      Hello everyone. I haven't posted here in a long while.

      I wanted to ask if anyone had a cat who was diagnosed with hyperthyroid af=
      ter being diagnosed with hypertrophic cardiomyopathy? Morris is 18 years ol=
      d. He's been treated for since HCM since March of last year. He currently g=
      ets 7.5 mg diltiazem and 9.375 mg lasìx twice a day and 2 droppers pet-tinic=
      once a day.

      Morris had been losing lots of weight very rapidly. Previously hís thyroíd=
      levels had been at the hígh end of normal, but today I learned his T4 had g=
      one up to 5.25, normal maximum being 4. He has no other symptoms
      but weight loss. In fact, he used to be very fat, and now he can jump a =
      little higher than he used to. I can't tell about excessive drinking or pe=
      eing, which could be a hyperthyroid symptom, as he's on lasix. He also crie=
      s a bit, another hyper-t symptom, but he is also deaf and that's something d=
      eaf cats do.

      The vet is starting him on 2.5 mg tapazole a day. He's currently down to a=
      bout 12 pounds. Does the dose sound rignt?

      As you can see, I'm already used to giving pills, so one more pill shouldn'=
      t be much of a problem. I also have another cat that's been diabetic for o=
      ver 3 years, so I'm very used to taking care of special needs cats.

      I believe I read that with tapazole, you're supposed to make sure the heart=
      rate doesn't get too low, particularly if the cat is already on heart meds.=
      Does anyone know about thìs? I already have a veterinary stethoscope to ch=
      eck his heart and lung sounds.

      I would appreciate any advice anyone could give me.

      Marcia and Morris
    • Lorraine Benson
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 1, 2003
        Hi Marcia,

        My cat, Kit, was diagnosed in February 2002 with both HCM and
        hyperthyroidism. He collapsed in February 2002, and both conditions were
        diagnosed as a result of his cardiac work-up. It took a while to get the
        medications and dosages worked out, but he is on 7.5mg of Diltiazem twice a
        day, and 2.5mg of methimazole twice a day and doing very well.

        Best to you and Morris.

        Lorraine

        > I wanted to ask if anyone had a cat who was diagnosed with >hyperthyroid
        after being diagnosed with hypertrophic >cardiomyopathy?
      • jenmcgovern2001
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 2, 2003
          Hi Marcia and Morris,

          My cat Urchin was diagnosed with HCM and hyperthyroidism in October
          2002. He was treated with methimazole (tapazole), atenolol, and
          lasix. His only symptom was rapid weight loss (from 11 pounds to 7-8
          pounds). We started on a higher dose of methimazole than you (5
          mg/day) but Urchin's T4 was higher than your kitty's (10--off the
          charts). I think the vet tries to start them out at the lowest dose
          possible to correct the thyroid levels, and weight comes into account
          as well. By the way, some pharmacies can compound the methimazole
          pills into liquids or transdermal ointment (you rub it in his ear),
          which can make your life a little easier (especially with multiple
          pills). We didn't have any difficulties with the heart rate getting
          too low--just coped with irregularities more and more after Urchin
          developed CHF. You'll probably have to monitor the T4 levels to make
          sure they aren't too high or too low--we had trouble with both hyper-
          and hypo-thyroidism over the year that Urchin took the meds. We
          checked the levels monthly. Urchin really bounced back for a while
          after starting methimazole--gained weight, improved activity levels,
          etc. Unfortunately, he developed CHF about a month ago and passed
          away about two weeks ago. However, he did very well for almost a year
          on the meds and had a good quality of life.

          Hope Morris does well on the new meds--sounds like you're very
          prepared. (Wish I had gotten a stethoscope--I just took my kitty into
          the vet's to have his heart rate checked.) You're doing a great job
          taking care of him.

          Best wishes, Jen and Urchin (angel kitty)
        • marcijoy2002
          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 3, 2003
            You can get a veterinary stethoscope from Foster and Smith for, I
            think, about $7.00. When we figure out what Morris' correct dose of
            methimazole will be, I'm thinking of having all his different
            medications compounded into one tablet, if they can go together. I
            don't like giving liquids because I can never be sure he's getting
            the exact dose, and ointments are out of the question because my two
            cats groom each other constantly, and I wouldn't want my other cat
            swallowing Morris' medicine.

            Marcia and Morris

            --- In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com, "jenmcgovern2001"