Re: AURORA giving up
- Janne, I'm so sorry to read about your plight with Aurora. The vets near you
sound bizarre to say the least! I'm just so so sorry for what you and Aurora
are going through!
You've said that she's giving up today and that you've decided not to stress
her with another vet visit. I agree and I sure can understand your choice
what with that one vet writing that "her heart condition appears to be affecting
her eating and drinking". Well DUH!
The following are some suggestions and my butting in a bit. I don't want to
have you feeling guilty for your decision (it does sound the most humane with
your current vet care!) so delete the following if you'd like. :)
Is there any way that you can give her sub-Q's with a shot? I know you said
she's feral and won't let you touch her, just had to ask if a one shot deal
could work instead of leaving the needle in while it drips?
And as for severe HCM, your vet(s) sound like they're only giving her the
dieuretic and basically sent her home to die. Lasix can't help HCM without the
proper heart meds.
I've got an idea for you...would you be willing to call a specialist in the
U.S. and ask for a phone consult and then have that vet call your vet? Perhaps
THEN your vet would prescribe heart meds.
My Oz lived for six days just like you describe Aurora as right now. He
crashed too (kidney failure) so we were doing the sub-Q's as well as the heart
meds for a bit. Of course he wasn't as old as is Aurora either. FINALLY after
three vets I got one that knew what he was doing. I forget what meds they put
him on first...diltiazem, enalapril, and lasix I think? And then after he
leveled off they switched to atenolol instead of diltiazem.
I debated whether to write this e-mail or not Janne. It sounds like you're
resigned to let Aurora go and I sure can't argue with that decision. You sound
like you're a wonderful kitty mommy and I'll be thinking of you and wishing
your Aurora all of the peace in the world.
[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]