VSD

  • doggone321@att.net
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 26, 2003
      Hello,

      I just found out today that one of my kittens has Ventricular Septal Defect.
      Her prgnosis is poor and she will probably not live long due to the intensity
      of the defect.

      It is extremely important for me to find information about the genetics and
      heredity of this defect. I am needing to know if they have proven if it is a
      recessive trait where both parents have to carry the gene for it to be
      expressed? Whether it is dominant where one parent carries the gene? I need
      to find out if a kitten in a litter has it, does this mean that all of the
      kittens in the litter will carry this lethal gene even though they do not
      have it?

      I need to find out as much as I can about the genetics of this horrible
      defect. There are many breeders and cats out there depending on me to find
      answers.

      The father of this kitten has produced 1 other kitten with this defect and
      was bred to a totally different female. SO, does this mean that he is the
      primary carrier of this gene and that the mothers of these two kittens do not
      have anything to do with it? OR do the mothers along with the father make
      this defect happen in the kittens?

      Also, what about the father's siblings? Do they also carry this gene to pass
      on to their kittens and so on?

      I can not stress enough how important this is to get answers!!!

      My heart is breaking over this and this kitten has stolen my heart. I know
      that her life will be short, but I am trying to save a lot of others from the
      heartache I am going through right now.

      Also, I need to find out if this defect is painful in anyway to her? I need
      to know if I need to make the decision of putting her to sleep so that she
      does not suffer or will she be able to be pain free until the end?

      Thank you do much for listening.

      Purrs,
      Vicki
    • Lee Evans
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 2, 2004
        Hello,

        I am new to this list and am wondering if someone could reiterate
        answers to questions in the post below. Also, if a cat has produced
        a kitten that is affected but is not himself/herself affected, should
        that cat be removed from a breeding program? I tried searching the
        archives but was unsuccessful.

        TIA,
        Lee