Re: congestive heart failure w/hyperthyroidism

  • brinkett
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 5, 2003
      Hi,

      I'm sorry to hear about Urchin.

      Unfortunately I don't have any suggestions about helping Urchin eat -
      I've not faced that problem yet. However, from reading other posts
      here and on usenet, I think there's a good chance that he'll eat on
      his own once he's through this crisis and hopefully veterans of the
      HCM/CHF battle will have some helpful suggestions for you to get him
      through this time.

      I was just wondering how Urchin is being treated for his
      hyperthyroidism and how often his T4 level is being monitored by the
      vet. If he has been on medication for the year at a dosage that
      works for him, then I would be surprised that he went into CHF due
      to the hyperthyroidism. It would suggest that his hyperthyroid
      condition isn't being managed correctly, in which case that needs to
      be addressed in addition to addressing his heart condition.

      --- In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com, "jenmcgovern2001"
      <jenmcgovern2001@y...> wrote:
      > Hi--I'm new. My name is Jen and I have a 16 yr old shorthair kitty
      > named Urchin. He's been diagnosed for almost a year with
      > hyperthyroidism and about a week ago he stopped eating and became
      very
      > lethargic. After several trips to emergency vets and my own vet we
      > discovered that he has congestive heart failure due to the
      > hyperthyroid. We are treating with Lasix and atenolol and I'm
      giving
      > him saline subcutaneously at home. He was dehydrated as well and
      the
      > IV drip that they did at the emergency vet's overloaded his lungs.
      > We're still trying to ease his breathing.
      >
      > Basically I wondered if anyone could give me suggestions or
      support,
      > particularly concerning his eating and lethargy. He will eat A/d
      if
      > syringe fed but won't eat on his own, and I'm not sure that he's
      > drinking at all except when I give it to him via syringe. Also,
      he's
      > terribly lethargic and won't do much except change where he's lying
      > down--goes to the other bedroom, living rm, litter box, back to my
      > bedrm. Does anyone know if he could regain energy after this kind
      of
      > crisis? Do cats that stop eating restart spontaneously, or will I
      > have to syringe feed him permanently? I guess I would just like to
      > hear from anyone who's coped with CHF.
      >
      > Thanks for the list--I was so relieved to find it and read other
      > posts. Treating my kitty by myself is so scary and I want to be
      > optimistic, but it's difficult when he's so sick. Thanks for any
      help
      > or advice.
    • zanth_99
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 5, 2003
        Hi Jen & Urchin,

        My cat, Boo Kitty just had CHF the beginning of August. We were
        very fortunate that it only took 1 visit to the vet to diagnose, and
        although she too was in the hospital on IV for dehydration, they
        started her on meds to start clearing out the lungs. Gosh, it must
        have been the entire 1st week I was a wreck (I still am from time to
        time). Our Vet's recurring chant with us was "get her to eat". I
        don't care what you give her...just get her to eat! I'm not going
        to lie, it was tough, she would eat about 1/2 teaspoon full on her
        own, then walk away and sleep. She wanted little to nothing to do
        with me. I went out and bought probably 12 different flavors of
        food, and when I found one that she liked I went out and got lots
        more of that one. She started becoming more like herself, the
        better she was eating, the better she began to feel. She still
        doesn't eat much at one time, I think maybe her little stomach
        shrunk (I wish mine would), but she now has no hesitation about
        finding me and telling me she's hungry...especially, it seems
        lately, at 4 am.

        I have to echo Sarah's remarks, has she been to a cardiologist? If
        she hasn't and you need to find one, there is a list of them in the
        Links section. The thing that convinced me about taking Boo to the
        cardio is the realization that HCM & CHF are what they deal with
        everyday...they are in the forefront of cutting edge technology and
        new meds just for our babies with heart problems. They see it
        everyday, and know precisly what to look for and what to tell us as
        parents to look for.

        Good luck Jen & Urchin...keep in touch

        Sandy & Boo Kitty