congestive heart failure w/hyperthyroidism

  • jenmcgovern2001
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 4, 2003
      Hi--I'm new. My name is Jen and I have a 16 yr old shorthair kitty
      named Urchin. He's been diagnosed for almost a year with
      hyperthyroidism and about a week ago he stopped eating and became very
      lethargic. After several trips to emergency vets and my own vet we
      discovered that he has congestive heart failure due to the
      hyperthyroid. We are treating with Lasix and atenolol and I'm giving
      him saline subcutaneously at home. He was dehydrated as well and the
      IV drip that they did at the emergency vet's overloaded his lungs.
      We're still trying to ease his breathing.

      Basically I wondered if anyone could give me suggestions or support,
      particularly concerning his eating and lethargy. He will eat A/d if
      syringe fed but won't eat on his own, and I'm not sure that he's
      drinking at all except when I give it to him via syringe. Also, he's
      terribly lethargic and won't do much except change where he's lying
      down--goes to the other bedroom, living rm, litter box, back to my
      bedrm. Does anyone know if he could regain energy after this kind of
      crisis? Do cats that stop eating restart spontaneously, or will I
      have to syringe feed him permanently? I guess I would just like to
      hear from anyone who's coped with CHF.

      Thanks for the list--I was so relieved to find it and read other
      posts. Treating my kitty by myself is so scary and I want to be
      optimistic, but it's difficult when he's so sick. Thanks for any help
      or advice.
    • brinkett
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 5, 2003
        Hi,

        I'm sorry to hear about Urchin.

        Unfortunately I don't have any suggestions about helping Urchin eat -
        I've not faced that problem yet. However, from reading other posts
        here and on usenet, I think there's a good chance that he'll eat on
        his own once he's through this crisis and hopefully veterans of the
        HCM/CHF battle will have some helpful suggestions for you to get him
        through this time.

        I was just wondering how Urchin is being treated for his
        hyperthyroidism and how often his T4 level is being monitored by the
        vet. If he has been on medication for the year at a dosage that
        works for him, then I would be surprised that he went into CHF due
        to the hyperthyroidism. It would suggest that his hyperthyroid
        condition isn't being managed correctly, in which case that needs to
        be addressed in addition to addressing his heart condition.

        --- In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com, "jenmcgovern2001"
        <jenmcgovern2001@y...> wrote:
        > Hi--I'm new. My name is Jen and I have a 16 yr old shorthair kitty
        > named Urchin. He's been diagnosed for almost a year with
        > hyperthyroidism and about a week ago he stopped eating and became
        very
        > lethargic. After several trips to emergency vets and my own vet we
        > discovered that he has congestive heart failure due to the
        > hyperthyroid. We are treating with Lasix and atenolol and I'm
        giving
        > him saline subcutaneously at home. He was dehydrated as well and
        the
        > IV drip that they did at the emergency vet's overloaded his lungs.
        > We're still trying to ease his breathing.
        >
        > Basically I wondered if anyone could give me suggestions or
        support,
        > particularly concerning his eating and lethargy. He will eat A/d
        if
        > syringe fed but won't eat on his own, and I'm not sure that he's
        > drinking at all except when I give it to him via syringe. Also,
        he's
        > terribly lethargic and won't do much except change where he's lying
        > down--goes to the other bedroom, living rm, litter box, back to my
        > bedrm. Does anyone know if he could regain energy after this kind
        of
        > crisis? Do cats that stop eating restart spontaneously, or will I
        > have to syringe feed him permanently? I guess I would just like to
        > hear from anyone who's coped with CHF.
        >
        > Thanks for the list--I was so relieved to find it and read other
        > posts. Treating my kitty by myself is so scary and I want to be
        > optimistic, but it's difficult when he's so sick. Thanks for any
        help
        > or advice.
      • zanth_99
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 5, 2003
          Hi Jen & Urchin,

          My cat, Boo Kitty just had CHF the beginning of August. We were
          very fortunate that it only took 1 visit to the vet to diagnose, and
          although she too was in the hospital on IV for dehydration, they
          started her on meds to start clearing out the lungs. Gosh, it must
          have been the entire 1st week I was a wreck (I still am from time to
          time). Our Vet's recurring chant with us was "get her to eat". I
          don't care what you give her...just get her to eat! I'm not going
          to lie, it was tough, she would eat about 1/2 teaspoon full on her
          own, then walk away and sleep. She wanted little to nothing to do
          with me. I went out and bought probably 12 different flavors of
          food, and when I found one that she liked I went out and got lots
          more of that one. She started becoming more like herself, the
          better she was eating, the better she began to feel. She still
          doesn't eat much at one time, I think maybe her little stomach
          shrunk (I wish mine would), but she now has no hesitation about
          finding me and telling me she's hungry...especially, it seems
          lately, at 4 am.

          I have to echo Sarah's remarks, has she been to a cardiologist? If
          she hasn't and you need to find one, there is a list of them in the
          Links section. The thing that convinced me about taking Boo to the
          cardio is the realization that HCM & CHF are what they deal with
          everyday...they are in the forefront of cutting edge technology and
          new meds just for our babies with heart problems. They see it
          everyday, and know precisly what to look for and what to tell us as
          parents to look for.

          Good luck Jen & Urchin...keep in touch

          Sandy & Boo Kitty