Boo Kitty's Cardio Visit

  • zanth_99
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 4, 2003
      Hi all,

      Boo Kitty, myself and her human daddy just got back from the
      cardiologist. She was so good, I am so very proud of her. The
      diagnosis right now is "possible late onset HCM", consisting of
      Moderate thickening of left ventricle and mild, borderline moderate
      left atrial enlargement. She had not previously had a T4 screen,
      they did that today & we will have the results back tomorrow.
      Considering her age (12) it is very possible that the heart
      condition is secondary to Hyperthyroid. She has no murmer, what he
      heard instead is what they call a "Gallop Beat".

      The Echo went well, the blood flow is doing well. There is a very
      slight leak in 1 of her valves, I can't remember now which one, the
      vet was not concerned. He said if it had been a different valve he
      would have been upset.

      They are making a couple of small adjustments to her meds...we're
      decreasing the Lasix to 1/2 of 12.5 mg daily, and he is adding 1/4
      of 25mg Atenolol. He's not surprised her fur isn't growing, just
      like people illness affects skin & hair growth. We are to schedule
      an appt with her regular vet in 2 weeks to check her heart rate, B/P
      and blood chemistry (creatin, etc).

      Thanks to everyone for all of your encouragement & your good
      thoughts.

      Sandy & Boo Kitty (Blue fml DSH 12 yrs 10.9 lb HCM)
    • brinkett
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 4, 2003
        Sounds like Boo was really good. Will you be going back to see the
        cardiologist again or will your regular vet take over now?

        Thanks for the update! :-)

        --- In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com, "zanth_99"

        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 5, 2003
          Sarah,

          The Cardiologist is going to send the "technical" report to her
          regular vet. Her regular vet is going to be in charge of monitering
          her chemistry levels right now...we see him in 2 weeks, and then
          again in 3 months. Her regular vet is going to foward to the
          cardiologist the results. The cardiologist is most concerned right
          now with her heart rate and her chemistry levels. Her Blood
          Pressure was within excellent ranges yesterday, but that is also
          something that we are to moniter. She will have a follow up
          appointment with the cardiologist in 6 months.

          Sandy & Boo Kitty

          --- In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com, "brinkett" <scrubbrush@r...>