New Member: will he ever be the same???

  • Dorian Gregory
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 2, 2003
      Hi to everyone who is in this group! I am so happy to have found the site. What a great comfort! My cat, Jake whom is 5yrs old, was just diagnosed with HCM on Sat. Found him on my Kitchen floor panting and breathing hard. Brought him to the Emergency Animal Hospital and they were more than kind and helpful. My heart hurts so much to see him in such discomfort. We brought him home on Sunday and he is on Lasix (1/2ml) and Cyproheptadine for his appetite.

      My concern is this: Will he ever be back to himself? He is down in the basement and maybe he comes up for a five minute stroll or to lay down. Then, he goes back downstairs. Please someone give me some good news. We have an appointment this Sunday. What can I expect for Jake getting better? I go down every two hours to play and pet him. Is there anything I could do to make him more at ease? He like to be upstairs with us.

      Thanks for your answers and support!

      Dorian and Jake's familiy

    • zanth_99
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 3, 2003
        --- In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com, Dorian Gregory
        Hi Dorian,

        You certainly have found the right place. The folks here have been
        so helpful to me and Boo Kitty who was diagnosed 3 wks ago.

        Every cat is different, but I can only give you my experience. When
        I 1st brough Boo home (she had been hospitalized for 3 days) she was
        very sad, and very tired. She too was taking the appetite stuff,
        but only for a couple of days as it made her drool horribly. I
        really felt like the vet had sent her home to die. It took a few
        days of love & feeding her everytime she went into the kitchen. She
        eats several small meals a day...she is so very much back to herself
        now. Give Jake a few days to recover, and I think you'll be
        amazed. Take time to look through the files and links here, there
        is an aweful lot of really good information, some is quite
        depressing, but learn to watch for the worst and expect the best.

        Good luck to you Dorian, and Jake

        Sandy & Boo Kitty