Re: [FH] Re: Pilling tricks

  • Jay Bangle
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 2, 2003
      A variation on this trick, that a friend of mine taught me:

      [Warning - some people might be a little grossed out by this, either
      for your own sake, or your cat's]

      Instead of using an eyedropper (extra hand, danger of it getting bitten
      by the cat), I take a mouthful of water, and "spit" it into the cat's
      mouth to chase the pill down. I lock my own lips around the cats mouth
      and let the water run into their mouth. They are usually so surprised
      by the maneuver that I don't get much fight. It's quick, and effective.

      A real comic moment was when I used the technique on a friend's cat.
      The LOOK he gave me! Oh my God! If looks could kill, I would have
      been a fine, white powder all over their living room! :)

      Jay

      On Tuesday, September 2, 2003, at 02:30 PM, Peggy wrote:

      > I pop a pill in my cats mouth then fillow it with an eye dropper of
      > water to help it go down.
    • Sara
      Message 2 of 8 , May 24, 2007
        Hi Eithne - This group is set up differently than most other groups, its automatically set to only reply to the individual, but instead of hitting Reply, hit Reply to All. That way all of us arent sending you the same info multiple times, and we can all see each others replies. I too, dreaded the thought of having to pill Toby everyday, for the rest of his life. Here are some tricks you can try.

        - Pill pockets - these are treats you can insert the pill into http://www.greenies.com/en_US/products_pill_pockets.asp?

        - I squish Toby's pill into these soft treats http://www.waggintails.com/store/DisplayProduct.php?sku=CWLPT-005

        - Emulsifying and syringing - Get an oral syringe and crush or open capsules and mix in with a little fish oil (I use Omega 3). This is how Toby gets his supplements, the pills are too big to give him so I put everything together and syringe it down in 1 shot. It doesnt amount to much, so it gets right down.

        - Butter - put a little butter on the pill, gently lift Pilgrim's head to the ceiling and drop his lower jaw with your finger, pop the buttered pill in the back of his throat. Should go right down. Afterwards dont let him run away in fright, pet him gently and tell him what a good boy he is, and give him a treat.

        - Most important thing - do NOT try to mix the pills into food, especially if they are bitter tasting. This could turn him off from eating altogether.

        The others gave you great advice for RCM, do not listen to the vet's prognosis, they have no way of telling Pilgrim's will to live. There are meds to treat this, and only Pilgrim, not a vet, will know how long he's meant to be here.

        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 4, 2007
          Hi Eithne (and Pilgrim!) -

          I've tried pill pockets, pill dough, pill shooters etc., and didn't have much success. Abu
          can spit a pill out 2 ft away, and there are just too many pills - 2 in the morning, and 5-6 at night.

          What works well for us are the #4 gelatin caps. I can put his morning drugs in one gel cap, and his evening pills fit in 2 gel caps (with the exception of 1/2 baby aspirin that he gets every 3 days). While he's eating, I pop his head back and shove the caps, one at a time. I keep a bandaid on my forefinger, because I was always slicing it on a sharp back tooth. The trick is to be quick. He usually glares at me, and then continues eating. If I do it when he's not eating, I always give him a treat or some food to make sure the gel cap goes down.

          I try to give him the pills when he's eating, or looking out at the window --- I don't like to drag him out of bed to do it. So far, I've been pretty luck.

          Something to remember -- I am always grabbing and hugging Abu (frail as he is), rubbing his head, face and mouth throughout the time I am home. That way, he doesn't associate me touching his face as "pill time" --- it is also "cuddle time". That way he doesn't cringe when he sees me coming ;<)

          Hope this helps!

          Susan (and Abu)

        • Sandy
          Message 4 of 8 , Jun 6, 2007
            Susan,

            I also bought the gelcaps and use them with Ziggy. I place his
            Benazepril and Lasix in one of them in the morning and his Plavix
            and Lasix in another in the evening. I dip the capsule in a meaty
            baby food before giving it to him. I quickly open his mouth and
            stick it as far back in his mouth near the right side of his
            throat. I think the baby food makes it sticky and slippery enough
            that it gets him to swallow it immediately. I place a bowl of food
            in front of him that has extra water added to it. I monitor his
            eating closely. If he doesn't eat the food I put down, then I give
            him something I'm sure that he'll eat like Fancy Feast tuna mixed
            with water.

            I've learned that Ziggy can sense my confidence (or lack of
            confidence) when pilling him. If I'm cheery and positive, he's much
            easier to pill. It's really become as easy as feeding the rest of
            my pet family.

            I hope Abu is doing well. So far, Ziggy is doing remarkably well
            (knock on wood).

            --Sandy and Ziggy