Re: Morag back at vet with rapid breathing

  • brinkett
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 1 7:43 PM
      Hi Sandy,

      I don't know when her cardio appointment is, but I know it'll be in
      about 6 weeks time. She hasn't seen a cardio yet, but the two vets
      at the clinic I go to seem quite knowledgeable.

      Her breathing did improve a little as the day went on and I just
      gave her 1/4 lasix pill tonight (not sure how much she got because
      it was crushed in honey, so she probably got some of it and my
      finger got some of it, but it's better than nothing).

      Tomorrow morning I'll see how her breathing is and that'll decide
      whether I drop her off before work or take her in the evening. I
      hate to think of her spending yet another day at the vet, but if her
      breathing is like it was this morning, I'll probably take her in
      first thing.

      Yes - it's new, and I think that's why it's scary. It's hard to
      know when to be concerned. Perhaps Morag will have to stay on lasix
      for a while - I know it can be hard on cats, but surely being run to
      the vet all the time and having fluids build up over and over again
      isn't that great for them either. I'd rather see her with clear
      lungs for a shorter period of time than having to suffer through bad
      breathing bouts over and over again.

      Morag has HCM, and also the valve between her two chambers isn't
      working properly - don't know the proper term for that.

      How is Boo doing?

      --- In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com, "zanth_99"
      <sandra_scanlon@h...> wrote:
      > Sarah,
      >
      > I'm very new to this too, so I don't know what to tell you about
      the
      > Lasix. Boo Kitty takes 1 12.5mg Lasix daily, I also had to give
      her
      > an additional 1 about a week ago when she had an episode of heavy
      > breathing. I suppose that Boo Kitty and I are going to learn more
      > about her condition and the best treatment when we go see the
      > cardiologist on 9/9. I can't remember, has Morag been to a
      cardio?
      > Do you know what type of heart disease she has? From what I've
      been
      > reading, the treatments can vary significantly depending on the
      type
      > of disease we are treating. Please let me know how things go
      > tomorrow.
      >
      > Sandy

    • zanth_99
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 2 5:31 AM
        Sarah,

        Thanks for asking about Boo Kitty, she's acting like herself again,
        I just wish that she would get her appetite back to 100%, she's
        eating, but several small meals a day. Her hotspots are also coming
        back, but since this is where it all started with her, I'm going to
        leave them be for the Cardio to look at. Her vet seems to think
        they may be stemming from food allergy, for many years she's eaten
        chicken based food, I am switching her to mainly seafood, to see if
        that helps, and also because seafood is supposed to be heart healthy.

        I didn't know that Lasix is hard on Kittys, I will also ask the
        cardiologist about that too.

        Sarah, I don't have any answers for you, if anything just more
        questions for myself. Please just know that I have you and Morag in
        my thoughts, and keep in touch.

        Sandy

        --- In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com, "brinkett" <scrubbrush@r...>
        wrote:

        > Yes - it's new, and I think that's why it's scary. It's hard to
        > know when to be concerned. Perhaps Morag will have to stay on
        lasix
        > for a while - I know it can be hard on cats, but surely being run
        > the vet all the time and having fluids build up over and over
        again
        > isn't that great for them either. I'd rather see her with clear
        > lungs for a shorter period of time than having to suffer through
        bad
        > breathing bouts over and over again.
        >
        > Morag has HCM, and also the valve between her two chambers isn't
        > working properly - don't know the proper term for that.
        >
        > How is Boo doing?

      • brinkett
        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 2 6:45 PM
          Hi Sandy,

          I wasn't on the list when you first joined with Boo. When you say
          hotspots, do you mean bald patches?

          I took Morag to the vet today and an X-ray shows that her lungs are
          pretty clear. She is to stay on 5mg lasix/day for a week and then
          we'll X-ray her again to see if they're still clear.

          The vet is also going to try to get a faster appointment with the
          cardiologist at the veterinary hospital.

          Morag is fine today but she was much more agitated at the vet than
          she usually is and threw up at the vet's office and when we got
          home. I think she's sick of the vet right now.

          Sarah.