Re: Morag back at vet with rapid breathing

  • zanth_99
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 1, 2003
      Sarah,

      I'm very new to this too, so I don't know what to tell you about the
      Lasix. Boo Kitty takes 1 12.5mg Lasix daily, I also had to give her
      an additional 1 about a week ago when she had an episode of heavy
      breathing. I suppose that Boo Kitty and I are going to learn more
      about her condition and the best treatment when we go see the
      cardiologist on 9/9. I can't remember, has Morag been to a cardio?
      Do you know what type of heart disease she has? From what I've been
      reading, the treatments can vary significantly depending on the type
      of disease we are treating. Please let me know how things go
      tomorrow.

      Sandy

      --- In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com, "brinkett" <scrubbrush@r...>
      wrote:
      > The vet listened closely to her lungs and thinks there is fluid
      > there again so he gave her 1/2 tab lasix and we're to give her 1/4
      > tab tonight and then take her to our regular vet tomorrow
      morning.
      > We haven't noticed any improvement, albeit she has only had the
      1/2
      > tab so far. She also gagged once - we're not sure if that's
      > alarming or not.
      >
      > The vet at the clinic seemed to think she would be stable until
      > tomorrow.
      >
      > We are now really discouraged that fluid seems to have come back a
      > week after she was taken off the lasix and wonder if this means
      that
      > she really doesn't have much time left. I've heard other cats are
      > on lasix all the time. Is is possible she might benefit from a
      > prolonged course of lasix?
    • brinkett
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 1, 2003
        Hi Sandy,

        I don't know when her cardio appointment is, but I know it'll be in
        about 6 weeks time. She hasn't seen a cardio yet, but the two vets
        at the clinic I go to seem quite knowledgeable.

        Her breathing did improve a little as the day went on and I just
        gave her 1/4 lasix pill tonight (not sure how much she got because
        it was crushed in honey, so she probably got some of it and my
        finger got some of it, but it's better than nothing).

        Tomorrow morning I'll see how her breathing is and that'll decide
        whether I drop her off before work or take her in the evening. I
        hate to think of her spending yet another day at the vet, but if her
        breathing is like it was this morning, I'll probably take her in
        first thing.

        Yes - it's new, and I think that's why it's scary. It's hard to
        know when to be concerned. Perhaps Morag will have to stay on lasix
        for a while - I know it can be hard on cats, but surely being run to
        the vet all the time and having fluids build up over and over again
        isn't that great for them either. I'd rather see her with clear
        lungs for a shorter period of time than having to suffer through bad
        breathing bouts over and over again.

        Morag has HCM, and also the valve between her two chambers isn't
        working properly - don't know the proper term for that.

        How is Boo doing?

        --- In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com, "zanth_99"
        <sandra_scanlon@h...> wrote:
        > Sarah,
        >
        > I'm very new to this too, so I don't know what to tell you about
        the
        > Lasix. Boo Kitty takes 1 12.5mg Lasix daily, I also had to give
        her
        > an additional 1 about a week ago when she had an episode of heavy
        > breathing. I suppose that Boo Kitty and I are going to learn more
        > about her condition and the best treatment when we go see the
        > cardiologist on 9/9. I can't remember, has Morag been to a
        cardio?
        > Do you know what type of heart disease she has? From what I've
        been
        > reading, the treatments can vary significantly depending on the
        type
        > of disease we are treating. Please let me know how things go
        > tomorrow.
        >
        > Sandy

      • zanth_99
        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 2, 2003
          Sarah,

          Thanks for asking about Boo Kitty, she's acting like herself again,
          I just wish that she would get her appetite back to 100%, she's
          eating, but several small meals a day. Her hotspots are also coming
          back, but since this is where it all started with her, I'm going to
          leave them be for the Cardio to look at. Her vet seems to think
          they may be stemming from food allergy, for many years she's eaten
          chicken based food, I am switching her to mainly seafood, to see if
          that helps, and also because seafood is supposed to be heart healthy.

          I didn't know that Lasix is hard on Kittys, I will also ask the
          cardiologist about that too.

          Sarah, I don't have any answers for you, if anything just more
          questions for myself. Please just know that I have you and Morag in
          my thoughts, and keep in touch.

          wrote:

          > Yes - it's new, and I think that's why it's scary. It's hard to
          > know when to be concerned. Perhaps Morag will have to stay on
          lasix
          > for a while - I know it can be hard on cats, but surely being run
          > the vet all the time and having fluids build up over and over
          again
          > isn't that great for them either. I'd rather see her with clear
          > lungs for a shorter period of time than having to suffer through
          bad
          > breathing bouts over and over again.
          >
          > Morag has HCM, and also the valve between her two chambers isn't
          > working properly - don't know the proper term for that.
          >
          > How is Boo doing?

        • brinkett
          Message 4 of 5 , Sep 2, 2003
            Hi Sandy,

            I wasn't on the list when you first joined with Boo. When you say
            hotspots, do you mean bald patches?

            I took Morag to the vet today and an X-ray shows that her lungs are
            pretty clear. She is to stay on 5mg lasix/day for a week and then
            we'll X-ray her again to see if they're still clear.

            The vet is also going to try to get a faster appointment with the
            cardiologist at the veterinary hospital.

            Morag is fine today but she was much more agitated at the vet than
            she usually is and threw up at the vet's office and when we got
            home. I think she's sick of the vet right now.

            Sarah.