Morag back at vet with rapid breathing

  • brinkett
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 1, 2003
      We had to take Morag into the emergency clinic this morning. Last
      night we noticed that she was breathing quickly and she hadn't
      improved this morning. She wasn't in respiratory distress, but her
      respiration rate was noticeably elevated.

      The vet listened closely to her lungs and thinks there is fluid
      there again so he gave her 1/2 tab lasix and we're to give her 1/4
      tab tonight and then take her to our regular vet tomorrow morning.
      We haven't noticed any improvement, albeit she has only had the 1/2
      tab so far. She also gagged once - we're not sure if that's
      alarming or not.

      The vet at the clinic seemed to think she would be stable until
      tomorrow.

      We are now really discouraged that fluid seems to have come back a
      week after she was taken off the lasix and wonder if this means that
      she really doesn't have much time left. I've heard other cats are
      on lasix all the time. Is is possible she might benefit from a
      prolonged course of lasix?
    • zanth_99
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 1, 2003
        Sarah,

        I'm very new to this too, so I don't know what to tell you about the
        Lasix. Boo Kitty takes 1 12.5mg Lasix daily, I also had to give her
        an additional 1 about a week ago when she had an episode of heavy
        breathing. I suppose that Boo Kitty and I are going to learn more
        about her condition and the best treatment when we go see the
        cardiologist on 9/9. I can't remember, has Morag been to a cardio?
        Do you know what type of heart disease she has? From what I've been
        reading, the treatments can vary significantly depending on the type
        of disease we are treating. Please let me know how things go
        tomorrow.

        Sandy

        --- In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com, "brinkett" <scrubbrush@r...>
        wrote:
        > The vet listened closely to her lungs and thinks there is fluid
        > there again so he gave her 1/2 tab lasix and we're to give her 1/4
        > tab tonight and then take her to our regular vet tomorrow
        morning.
        > We haven't noticed any improvement, albeit she has only had the
        1/2
        > tab so far. She also gagged once - we're not sure if that's
        > alarming or not.
        >
        > The vet at the clinic seemed to think she would be stable until
        > tomorrow.
        >
        > We are now really discouraged that fluid seems to have come back a
        > week after she was taken off the lasix and wonder if this means
        that
        > she really doesn't have much time left. I've heard other cats are
        > on lasix all the time. Is is possible she might benefit from a
        > prolonged course of lasix?
      • brinkett
        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 1, 2003
          Hi Sandy,

          I don't know when her cardio appointment is, but I know it'll be in
          about 6 weeks time. She hasn't seen a cardio yet, but the two vets
          at the clinic I go to seem quite knowledgeable.

          Her breathing did improve a little as the day went on and I just
          gave her 1/4 lasix pill tonight (not sure how much she got because
          it was crushed in honey, so she probably got some of it and my
          finger got some of it, but it's better than nothing).

          Tomorrow morning I'll see how her breathing is and that'll decide
          whether I drop her off before work or take her in the evening. I
          hate to think of her spending yet another day at the vet, but if her
          breathing is like it was this morning, I'll probably take her in
          first thing.

          Yes - it's new, and I think that's why it's scary. It's hard to
          know when to be concerned. Perhaps Morag will have to stay on lasix
          for a while - I know it can be hard on cats, but surely being run to
          the vet all the time and having fluids build up over and over again
          isn't that great for them either. I'd rather see her with clear
          lungs for a shorter period of time than having to suffer through bad
          breathing bouts over and over again.

          Morag has HCM, and also the valve between her two chambers isn't
          working properly - don't know the proper term for that.

          How is Boo doing?

          --- In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com, "zanth_99"
          <sandra_scanlon@h...> wrote:
          > Sarah,
          >
          > I'm very new to this too, so I don't know what to tell you about
          the
          > Lasix. Boo Kitty takes 1 12.5mg Lasix daily, I also had to give
          her
          > an additional 1 about a week ago when she had an episode of heavy
          > breathing. I suppose that Boo Kitty and I are going to learn more
          > about her condition and the best treatment when we go see the
          > cardiologist on 9/9. I can't remember, has Morag been to a
          cardio?
          > Do you know what type of heart disease she has? From what I've
          been
          > reading, the treatments can vary significantly depending on the
          type
          > of disease we are treating. Please let me know how things go
          > tomorrow.
          >
          > Sandy

        • zanth_99
          Message 4 of 5 , Sep 2, 2003
            Sarah,

            Thanks for asking about Boo Kitty, she's acting like herself again,
            I just wish that she would get her appetite back to 100%, she's
            eating, but several small meals a day. Her hotspots are also coming
            back, but since this is where it all started with her, I'm going to
            leave them be for the Cardio to look at. Her vet seems to think
            they may be stemming from food allergy, for many years she's eaten
            chicken based food, I am switching her to mainly seafood, to see if
            that helps, and also because seafood is supposed to be heart healthy.

            I didn't know that Lasix is hard on Kittys, I will also ask the
            cardiologist about that too.

            Sarah, I don't have any answers for you, if anything just more
            questions for myself. Please just know that I have you and Morag in
            my thoughts, and keep in touch.

            wrote:

            > Yes - it's new, and I think that's why it's scary. It's hard to
            > know when to be concerned. Perhaps Morag will have to stay on
            lasix
            > for a while - I know it can be hard on cats, but surely being run
            > the vet all the time and having fluids build up over and over
            again
            > isn't that great for them either. I'd rather see her with clear
            > lungs for a shorter period of time than having to suffer through
            bad
            > breathing bouts over and over again.
            >
            > Morag has HCM, and also the valve between her two chambers isn't
            > working properly - don't know the proper term for that.
            >
            > How is Boo doing?

          • brinkett
            Message 5 of 5 , Sep 2, 2003
              Hi Sandy,

              I wasn't on the list when you first joined with Boo. When you say
              hotspots, do you mean bald patches?

              I took Morag to the vet today and an X-ray shows that her lungs are
              pretty clear. She is to stay on 5mg lasix/day for a week and then
              we'll X-ray her again to see if they're still clear.

              The vet is also going to try to get a faster appointment with the
              cardiologist at the veterinary hospital.

              Morag is fine today but she was much more agitated at the vet than
              she usually is and threw up at the vet's office and when we got
              home. I think she's sick of the vet right now.

              Sarah.