Re: [FH] Re: scaredy acts was Body Type (structure

  • Susan
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 27 11:08 AM
      --- Jay Bangle <jay@...> wrote:
      > I think what is being seen is not a true
      > correlation. Feral cats are
      > naturally shy. A shy cat lives, while a bold cat is
      > either killed, or
      > adopted and neutered (genetic death, so to speak) -
      > so the shy genes
      > and behavior (both nature AND nurture) is what is
      > perpetuated in the
      > feral population.
      >
      > I think if you look at the pedigreed population of
      > cats with HCM, you
      > will find that there is no connection to shyness or
      > body type and HCM -

      I agree. I am not suggesting that the HCM seen in some
      pedigreed cats or in any cat with HCM is other than a
      familial autosomal dominant form of inherited HCM.
      What I am hoping might be investigated is the
      possibility that catecholamine (sympathetic
      activation) could be responsible for some myocyte
      damage resulting in hypertrophy in some felines.

      > Another thing to remember with regards to HCM in the
      > feral population,
      > is that symptoms often do not appear until "later"
      > in life. AFTER a
      > cat has had a chance to breed. So this can easily
      > be passed on before
      > the disease makes it impossible for the individual
      > affected to lead a
      > normal life. Caesar is 3
      > now, and still showing no outward signs. In a feral
      > population, he
      > could have sired hundreds of kittens by now, each
      > one having a 50-50
      > chance of inheriting his HCM.

      Of course we have no idea what kind of genetic pool a
      feral colony has and one would have to wonder not if
      but how imbred a feral colony may be. Because of feral
      TNR groups the kittens of these ferals are being homed
      through no-kill shelters. The feral background of
      these kittens is often not disclosed.

      I realize my catecholamine cardiomyopathy hypothesus
      is not what we currently know and accept as fact
      regarding HCM in felines but if it weren't for a Maine
      Coon breeder approaching a vet cardiologist and
      donating a line of Maine Coon cats would we know as
      much as we do now?

      BTW I also found studies showing that dolphins briefly
      ensnared in tuna nets suffer cardiac damage from
      catecholamine. In humans this type of damage in seen
      in torture victims.

      For those of you dealing with CHF, the use of
      beta-blockade to block catecholamine in addition to
      angiotensin-converting enzyme inhibitors is now the
      standard in human CHF.
      Beta blockade in patients with congestive heart
      failure
      http://www.postgradmed.com/issues/2000/09_00/frantz.htm

      Susan

      =====