Pilling tricks

  • brinkett
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 27, 2003
      Hello everyone,

      I have had Morag's meds compounded into a gel and that is working
      out fine, but they don't do aspirin and she's on one children's
      aspirin twice a week. I am going to try crushing it in her food but
      she's always been a picky eater so that might not work. Someone
      mentioned dipping pills in liverwurst. I was wondering what other
      foods are used to dip/wrap pills in, or would appreciate any other
      suggestions you might have. Pilling her the conventional way is out
      of the question.

      Quick update on Morag: she came home Monday night. :-) Repeat X-
      rays of her chest showed that the lasix had completely cleared up
      the fluid in her lungs, so she's off that now (vet was thrilled with
      the results). Also, the vet said her heartbeat is at 130 and was
      never high which is supposed to be good. We were grateful to get
      some good news after all the bad.

      So she's on diltiazem twice a day, fortekor once a day, and one
      children's aspirin twice a week. She seems fine - breathing has
      vastly improved - she is a bit quieter but that's ok - she seems
      happy.

      I hope all of your kitties are doing well.

      Sarah.
    • zanth_99
      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 28, 2003
        I'm so glad that Morag is home and doing well.

        I know every cat is different, but what has been working really well
        with Boo Kitty is cat treats. I have Friskies salmon/shrimp
        flavored soft cat treats, I break 1 in half, stuff the pill inside
        and mush the cat treat all around it. Boo Kitty inhales it and
        yells at me for more. (I know cat treats are high in sodium, I only
        give her 1/2 per pill, she takes a max of 3 pills daily)

        Luckily baby asprin is much cheaper than other meds that our babies
        take, so at least you have some room to experiment.

        Good luck,

        Sandy & Boo Kitty

        --- In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com, "brinkett" <scrubbrush@r...>

        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 29, 2003
          Thanks for the suggestion. I tried squishing it in her regular
          food - no go. I'll try the treat thing next. Vet also suggested
          cheeze wiz or anything else that you can hide a pill in like that.

          And yes, I can experiment with baby aspirin a little more since it's
          easy to replace.

          Hope Boo is doing well!

          --- In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com, "zanth_99"
          <sandra_scanlon@h...> wrote:
          > I'm so glad that Morag is home and doing well.
          >
          > I know every cat is different, but what has been working really
          well
          > with Boo Kitty is cat treats. I have Friskies salmon/shrimp
          > flavored soft cat treats, I break 1 in half, stuff the pill inside
          > and mush the cat treat all around it. Boo Kitty inhales it and
          > yells at me for more. (I know cat treats are high in sodium, I
          only
          > give her 1/2 per pill, she takes a max of 3 pills daily)
          >
          > Luckily baby asprin is much cheaper than other meds that our
          babies
          > take, so at least you have some room to experiment.
          >
          > Good luck,
          >
          > Sandy & Boo Kitty

        • Peggy
          Message 4 of 8 , Sep 2, 2003
            I pop a pill in my cats mouth then fillow it with an eye dropper of water to help it go down. I've read that sometimes a pill can stay in the esophagus for a while if it is not followed by water. You can also buy a pet piller.

            Here are a few sites that talk about pilling. The first site I've listed shows how to give both liquids and pills.
            http://www.vetmed.wsu.edu/ClientED/cat_meds.htm
            http://www.campuscats.org/articles/pilling.html
            http://www.marvistavet.com/html/body_pilling_a_cat.html

            Peggy G

            feline-heart@yahoogroups.com wrote:
            Subject: Re: Pilling tricks

            Vet also suggested cheeze wiz or anything else that you can hide a pill in like that.

          • Jay Bangle
            Message 5 of 8 , Sep 2, 2003
              A variation on this trick, that a friend of mine taught me:

              [Warning - some people might be a little grossed out by this, either
              for your own sake, or your cat's]

              Instead of using an eyedropper (extra hand, danger of it getting bitten
              by the cat), I take a mouthful of water, and "spit" it into the cat's
              mouth to chase the pill down. I lock my own lips around the cats mouth
              and let the water run into their mouth. They are usually so surprised
              by the maneuver that I don't get much fight. It's quick, and effective.

              A real comic moment was when I used the technique on a friend's cat.
              The LOOK he gave me! Oh my God! If looks could kill, I would have
              been a fine, white powder all over their living room! :)

              Jay

              On Tuesday, September 2, 2003, at 02:30 PM, Peggy wrote:

              > I pop a pill in my cats mouth then fillow it with an eye dropper of
              > water to help it go down.
            • Sara
              Message 6 of 8 , May 24, 2007
                Hi Eithne - This group is set up differently than most other groups, its automatically set to only reply to the individual, but instead of hitting Reply, hit Reply to All. That way all of us arent sending you the same info multiple times, and we can all see each others replies. I too, dreaded the thought of having to pill Toby everyday, for the rest of his life. Here are some tricks you can try.

                - Pill pockets - these are treats you can insert the pill into http://www.greenies.com/en_US/products_pill_pockets.asp?

                - I squish Toby's pill into these soft treats http://www.waggintails.com/store/DisplayProduct.php?sku=CWLPT-005

                - Emulsifying and syringing - Get an oral syringe and crush or open capsules and mix in with a little fish oil (I use Omega 3). This is how Toby gets his supplements, the pills are too big to give him so I put everything together and syringe it down in 1 shot. It doesnt amount to much, so it gets right down.

                - Butter - put a little butter on the pill, gently lift Pilgrim's head to the ceiling and drop his lower jaw with your finger, pop the buttered pill in the back of his throat. Should go right down. Afterwards dont let him run away in fright, pet him gently and tell him what a good boy he is, and give him a treat.

                - Most important thing - do NOT try to mix the pills into food, especially if they are bitter tasting. This could turn him off from eating altogether.

                The others gave you great advice for RCM, do not listen to the vet's prognosis, they have no way of telling Pilgrim's will to live. There are meds to treat this, and only Pilgrim, not a vet, will know how long he's meant to be here.

                Message 7 of 8 , Jun 4, 2007
                  Hi Eithne (and Pilgrim!) -

                  I've tried pill pockets, pill dough, pill shooters etc., and didn't have much success. Abu
                  can spit a pill out 2 ft away, and there are just too many pills - 2 in the morning, and 5-6 at night.

                  What works well for us are the #4 gelatin caps. I can put his morning drugs in one gel cap, and his evening pills fit in 2 gel caps (with the exception of 1/2 baby aspirin that he gets every 3 days). While he's eating, I pop his head back and shove the caps, one at a time. I keep a bandaid on my forefinger, because I was always slicing it on a sharp back tooth. The trick is to be quick. He usually glares at me, and then continues eating. If I do it when he's not eating, I always give him a treat or some food to make sure the gel cap goes down.

                  I try to give him the pills when he's eating, or looking out at the window --- I don't like to drag him out of bed to do it. So far, I've been pretty luck.

                  Something to remember -- I am always grabbing and hugging Abu (frail as he is), rubbing his head, face and mouth throughout the time I am home. That way, he doesn't associate me touching his face as "pill time" --- it is also "cuddle time". That way he doesn't cringe when he sees me coming ;<)

                  Hope this helps!

                  Susan (and Abu)

                • Sandy
                  Message 8 of 8 , Jun 6, 2007
                    Susan,

                    I also bought the gelcaps and use them with Ziggy. I place his
                    Benazepril and Lasix in one of them in the morning and his Plavix
                    and Lasix in another in the evening. I dip the capsule in a meaty
                    baby food before giving it to him. I quickly open his mouth and
                    stick it as far back in his mouth near the right side of his
                    throat. I think the baby food makes it sticky and slippery enough
                    that it gets him to swallow it immediately. I place a bowl of food
                    in front of him that has extra water added to it. I monitor his
                    eating closely. If he doesn't eat the food I put down, then I give
                    him something I'm sure that he'll eat like Fancy Feast tuna mixed
                    with water.

                    I've learned that Ziggy can sense my confidence (or lack of
                    confidence) when pilling him. If I'm cheery and positive, he's much
                    easier to pill. It's really become as easy as feeding the rest of
                    my pet family.

                    I hope Abu is doing well. So far, Ziggy is doing remarkably well
                    (knock on wood).

                    --Sandy and Ziggy