new to group - having so many mixed emotions

  • badcwd98
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 16, 2003
      Hello all,
      This week has been a roller coster of emotions.
      My beautiful 2 yr old suddenly collapsed last Sunday. We rushed him
      to Angell Memorial when they told us he had thrown a clot. Both legs
      are affected. Due to the high mortality rate, we considered putting
      him down, but we so hoped he would survive this. The Doc wanted us to
      wait a bit because he looked "so good compared to others with the
      same problem". On Monday the Cardiologist said that his heart shows
      HCM but very very minor. She would never had expected a clot to be
      thrown. So we waited. Patchy was put on heprin, but they noticed
      what they thought was blood in his urine. They stopped the heprin
      and ran a battery of tests. They believe his immunine system is
      destroying its own red blood cells. Yesterday, he received a blood
      transfusion and an ultrasound to see if there were other things going
      on. They found nothing.

      So here we are, day 6 in the hospital. When is enough enough? The
      doctors are no longer upbeat about his prognosis. His anemia is bad.
      A complication they never expected. Patchy is getting so depressed
      in that hospital. He kept his back to us last night when a few days
      ago he would cuddle up with us.

      I feel go guilty for putting him through this. He is so stressed
      out. He hasn't eaten a thing since being in the hospital. I'm
      bringing him his favorite and he seems like he wants to eat but just
      takes a few licks then lays back down.

      His cardiologist says "You've gone this far, keep going. He could
      still make it." But, the same doc also says that in her 15 yrs of
      experience, she's never come across a case where everything is
      positive except for the anemia that they can't control.

      His admitting doc is very sad about his case because her kitty just
      died from HCM and she strongly believed Patchy would pull
      through, but she is noticing the depression. It's her advice to
      watch him to see how he does after the transfusion and if his anemia
      becomes grave again, to let him go.

      I so desperately want my Patchy home.

      Thank you for listening.
      Beth
    • peteycat9
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 16, 2003
        Dear Beth,
        Can you request that Patchy be released to you and you can give
        her the necessary treatments? They do indeed get depressed in a
        hospital setting, but obviously, it sounds like she has a excellent
        vet fighting for her. You may not be able to do all the medical
        things that a hospital can do, but your love and comfort may help her
        recover. I have a 13 year old cat that had a major life threatening
        urinary blockage (after many previous bouts) when he was about 6
        years old. He made it through the surgery but after being in the
        hospital for a week, he was "skin and bones" because he wouldn't
        eat. The hospital agreed to release him to me, even though he was
        still very sick. Let me tell you, this cat bounced right back when I
        got him home and cared for him. I still have him. I know how awful
        it is to have a sweetie in the hospital, just waiting for their
        return. I will say a prayer for you and Patchy. Take care.
        Love,
        Petey