Update on Merlyn

  • Dana Rulf
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 5, 2003
      Hi,
      I haven't posted in a while, but have been reading the posts each day.
      I wanted to update you all on Merlyn and ask a couple of questions.

      Merlyn had a cardio recheck 3 weeks ago. HCM hasn't progressed much
      at all, but pleural efflusion has. At that point, he was put on .5ml
      Benazapril along with his regimen of 1/2 Lasix 2x daily, 1/4 Atenelol
      daily. He is also CRF, and was getting 50ml fluids every day. Merlyn
      also gets Omega 3s, Pepcid AC, Pet-Tinic and Tumil-K.

      He went in for a chest x-ray and blood recheck a week after, and his
      pleural efflusion was about the same, but his BUN & creat were higher
      than they'd been in some time: BUN 50 and creat 4.5. We cut back the
      Lasix to 1/2 1x daily and went to 50ml sub-q fluid every other day.

      He had another chest x-ray on Monday, and there is slightly more
      efflusion, but his BUN was back down to 40 and his creat was back down
      to 3 -- about where they've been for the last several months. We have
      now added hydrochlorothiazide, 1/4 tablet every 3 days, and are
      keeping the rest of the regimen the same.

      Now I should tell you that through all of this the last couple of
      months, Merlyn has shown NO signs of congestive heart failure: no
      heavy breathing, no open mouth breathing, no coughing fits, no
      sneezing; he climbs stairs fine (sometimes needs to rest when he gets
      to the top -- we have a LOT of stairs), jumps up on the bed just
      fine....nothing to indicate that he is feeling the effects of this
      disease. It's only been through diligency of our vet insisting upon
      regular checks that we have followed the progression and are trying to
      beat this fluid build-up.

      Here are my questions:
      1) Does anyone else have any experience with hydrochlorothiazide?
      2) Has anyone else reached this point and been able to do anything
      else for their kitty?

      Thanks so much for any info or advice.
      Dana
      Merlyn & Tully