RE: [FH] trying to understand my cat's sudden death

  • Wathey, Lisa
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 5, 2003
      I'm so so sorry about Tuxedo. I have a super-soft spot for B&W tuxedos myself. My Gable was one! He always threw up periodically too. I thought he just ate too fast and the vet didn't seem too concerned. When I took him in for bladder stones tho, they gave him fluid therapy for his kidneys and this caused him to go into heart failure and this is how we found out he had an enlarged heart. I don't know enough about heartworms to say either way but it could also have been heart disease and/or kidney failure. Gable's heart disease caused his kidneys not to function as well and I believe the lack of 100% filtering caused him to throw up. Tuxedo's very sudden death may also have indicated a sudden blood clot which is a high risk for kitties with heart disease. It sounds like Tuxedo lived the perfect life and lived to the fullest right up until he passed. Please try to find peace with this - I beat myself up for not taking him sooner, for not pressing the vet, for not having even heard of hypertrophic cardiomyopathy. But cats are so good at hiding things and some cats have no symptoms at all. You have my sympathies and prayers for you and Tuxedo. Love, Lisa, Barney and Angel Gable
      Lisa, Barney and Angel Gable
      Gable, 8-year old black and white tuxedo, domestic shorthair, 16 lbs., died of heart failure from HCM. Failure induced by fluid therapy for bladder stones. Precious child of love and light, I miss you with all of my heart and soul.

      Barney, 8-year old white and brown tabby, domestic shorthair, 16 lbs., echocardiogram for HCM inconclusive, ranged from normal to abnormal ; 2nd echo showed no enlarging