trying to understand my cat's sudden death

  • nyjam2
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 4 5:25 PM
      Tuxedo was ten years old. He left his lifetime home to move in with
      us almost two years ago. None of the local vets had records for him
      so his first visit might have been when I took him. He was a chronic
      vomiter although he had good weeks when he did not. Since he remained
      a part-time outdoor cat who chased, and sometimes caught, squirrels
      and seemed to be in great shape otherwise, I figured he was sometimes
      eating disgusting things and did not push for testing. A few days
      ago, without warning, he vomited, defecated, urinated, and died
      within minutes. The vet who answered my emergency call said it could
      have been heart failure. I have since learned that vomiting can be a
      sign of heartworms. My husband and I are heartbroken over his loss.
      He was a big black and white cat with a great personality...and he
      had chosen us! Sorry for being so long but we are wondering if hidden
      heart disease could have been the problem. His time outside lately
      had consisted of touring the yard and lying in the shade watching
      squirrels so we do not really think he got into anything although we
      cannot be sure.