Update on Taj - long

  • anabellecat
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 1, 2003
      Well, it's been about a week since we saw the cardiologist, and Taj
      hasn't been doing so well. She changed his med from Enalapril to
      Benazepril. She also increased his dose of aspirin. She wanted us to
      discontinue giving Taj both fluids and lasix - she said to give him
      less fluids and lasix only as absolutely needed. On top of this, we
      have started Taj on Lactulose because his constipation has been
      pretty bad. We also added Dandelion to his regimen in the hopes of
      being able to give him less Lasix.

      Even with his insanely high kidney values, Taj has thrown up maybe 3X
      in the past four months. Since all of these changes, he has thrown up
      that many times in 2 days! But it's almost impossible to tell what
      might be causing him to feel worse. I think that I will probably have
      to go back to his old regimen for a few days and start making the
      changes one at a time. Hopefully, it isn't just a coincidence and Taj
      isn't getting worse. The cardiologist didn't have a lot of hope about
      him having much time left, but four months ago he was expected to
      live only a few days, so I've learned to try not to listen to
      the "predictions."

      I spoke with both my regular vet and my holistic vet and they both
      said that although Dr. Bond is a highly respected cardiologist, Taj
      has already far surpassed anyone's expectations, so even though his
      treatment may not be ideal (lots of fluids and lasix), it has been
      working for him for some reason. They both feel that it's worthwhile
      to try the changes, but if he seems worse, we should go back to what
      has worked and maybe tweak it a bit. It is such a fine balance
      tackling both the heart and kidneys, and Taj is clearly unable to
      handle quite as much fluid as he was handling, but I'm praying that
      with a little trial and error, hopefully I can find the right combo.

      Has anyone here had a kitty who reponded badly to benazepril,
      dandelion or lactulose? What about aspirin? I would like to keep him
      on the lactulose and dandelion if possible, but switching back to
      enalapril is fine with me. I have read that benazepril is a bit
      easier on the kidneys, but he really does seem worse since I started
      it.

      Thanks again to everyone for your support and kindness. I hope I have
      good news to report in a few days.

      Debbie

      I'll speak with my vet in the morning and see what he says