Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.

Our Bob Crashed

Expand Messages
  • Myra DeTate
    Our Bob is in ICU in oxygen, his lungs filled with fluid & his heart rate dropped early Monday morning. I got up for some reason at 3am - probably a hot flash
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 30, 2003
    • 0 Attachment
      Our Bob is in ICU in oxygen, his lungs filled with fluid & his heart
      rate dropped early Monday morning. I got up for some reason at 3am -
      probably a hot flash - & wandered around some before heading back
      to bed. Bob intercepted me from one of the rooms - talking &
      purring. As I was petting him I noticed he was breathing strangely -
      when he sat down I could see his entire side was involved. I gave
      him a 1/2 lasix & gave it 15 mins to see if he got any better. He
      jumped up on a shelf in the bed room & kinda gave me a chirp before
      settling into a meatloaf position. My hubby woke up a little before
      the 15 mins were up & noticed I had closed the door to the bedroom
      Bob & I were in. When he came in to check, I immediately decided to
      get dressed and take Bob to the critical care clinic, All Care
      Animal Referral Center, which is only 20 mins away. He did not howl
      in the car like he usually does, but wanted me to scratch his head.
      5 minutes from the clinic, he gave a yowl & started open mouth
      breathing. Thankfully at 4am, the freeway was clear & I cut a few
      minutes off. They rushed him immediately into oxygen & gave lasix
      injection & nitro in his ear. His heart rate was very low & his
      lungs were rapidly filling with fluid. The vet said he was very
      glad I had not waited another 15 mins. I stayed for several hours &
      he began to improve. The vet said he was extremely critical. He
      looked like he was resting easier though. I left to get a little
      sleep & went back at 11am visiting hour. He was much improved,
      however his current vet, Dr. Moore, met me at the oxygen cage & was
      as horrified as I was to see our poor Bob taking such short, shallow
      breaths. His last echo recheck, only a month ago, had shown Bob's
      heart continuing to improve & stablize with no fluid. We both
      viewed this crash as a setback. We discussed the plan of action
      which included antibiotics for pneumonia and stopping the Atenolol,
      continuing with the diltiazem, both oral & injection lasix,
      theophylline, and he asked me to bring in the CoQ10 & Feline Cardiac
      Support and his regular food at the next visiting hour. Xrays & echo
      would be postponed until he was more stable. By Monday 6pm, I was
      very surprised to see him restly moving around the oxygen cage with
      a cone collar on!! He was very happy to see me & ate the AD &
      rabbit & rice food I had brought. However I did notice that the
      plexiglass partition between Bob & the kitty in the next oxy cage
      had been covered nearly the entire way with paper. I soon saw why.
      When the kitty next door moved, Bob threw himself at the partition,
      growling & spitting. He had improved so quickly that he was
      starting to cause trouble! I was so thankful to see that he was
      eating & drinking so quickly. However, his breathing was obviously
      still very quick & shallow. Tuesday morning his heart rate &
      respiration rate had improved enough to take xrays which showed
      fluid & indications of asthma/irritation. Bob has shown slight
      indication of asthma previously & was taking theophylline every
      other day. He was starting to get seriously annoyed by the IV and
      heart monitors which are taped to each of his ankles. His vet again
      met me at the cage & we decided he would get an echo recheck in the
      afternoon. He ate & drank well again at the 6pm visit. Bob's vet's
      assistant told me that the echo showed no change from a month ago.
      His respiration rate & heart rate were nearly normal. Wednesday
      morning they will wean him off the oxygen & watch for any distress.
      His lungs are nearly clear. His blood workup showed all normal
      levels, I will get a copy on Wednesday. It appears that this crash
      was not caused by Bob's heart, but rather by an environmental
      irritant. Last week the roofs on our condos were replaced. The
      roofers were cooking their tar/creosote concoction right below our
      bedroom windows & the bedrooms actually became filled with oily
      smoke from the prevailing winds. Last Wednesday morning I had
      awakened coughing & retching & Bob was sleeping at the foot of the
      bed. Even with the windows closed, the rooms filled with the
      noxious fumes all week. With Bob's predisposition to asthma, those
      toxic fumes & the residue that covered the back patio started the
      whole chain of events. With the lack of oxygen & the beta blocker,
      his heart rate dropped & his lungs filled. I am so angry that the
      condo association not only did not warn us about the toxicity of the
      fumes, but also allowed the roofers to cook their stuff upwind of
      all the units. Bob is temporarily taking prednisone, but the lasix
      injections were stopped & taking oral lasix twice a day. I've told
      this long story not only to describe Bob's symptoms, but also to
      warn about suposedly "safe" home repairs. Our kitties are already
      compromised with heart disease, we don't need to add an
      environmental irritant. Hopefully our Bob will come out of this

      Lots of Kitty Kisses,
      Myra & Bob
    Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.