new to group

  • Amber
    Message 1 of 18 , Jan 9, 2001
      Hi!

      I joined this group, as my cat has been recently diagnosed with a
      heart murmur. Smudge is an 11 year old Persian, and he is my life!
      When the vet found the murmur, we had his thyroid tested (normal),
      and he went in for an ultrasound. They discovered that Smudge has
      high blood pressure. The cardiologist said that it is too early to
      tell if the murmur is caused by restrictive cardiomyopathy, or if it
      is due to the high blood pressure. Smudge has been put on meds
      (amlodipine - I had it made into treats, and he loves it!) for the
      blood pressure, but hasn't been put on anything for the heart
      murmur. I was wondering if there is anyone else on the list who has
      found that their cat is having heart problems due to high b/p, and if
      so, is there anything else I can do to help ensure that he spends as
      much time as possible with me??? I plan on asking my vet about
      CoEnzyme Q-10 (suggested on another list) and Vitamin E when Smudge
      goes in for a check-up later this month... does anyone else have any
      other suggestions?

      Thanks!
      Amber
    • Polis, Karen [CNTUS]
      Message 2 of 18 , Jan 10, 2001
        I'm new to this heart disease thing too, but let me know what your vet says
        about Coenzyme 10 and E.

        Thanks,
        karen

        Message 3 of 18 , Jan 10, 2001
          Hi! They did find some thickening, but they said it was very minor,
          and they thought it might be due to the high blood pressure. They
          said that because the heart is beating more quickly, it could cause
          some thickening. Smudge will be going in again next year for an
          ultrasound, so see if the thickening has worsened. At this stage,
          they said that because the thickening was minor, they couldn't be
          sure if it was due to early restrictive cardiomyopathy, or due to the
          fact that it was being overworked because of the high b/p.

          They have ruled out kidney problems. They tested the kidneys and the
          thyroid, and they were both fine. I didn't realize anaemia could
          cause high b/p. I don't know if the vet tested for that... I will
          have to ask her when Smudge goes back in.

          Smudge has been acting the same as he always was, except for the fact
          that he lost a lot of weight right before they discovered the
          murmur. We were renovating the floor our bedroom is on, and there
          were staples and nails everywhere, and we were worried that Smudge
          would get hurt, so we wouldn't let him sleep with us. He became very
          depressed, and lost a lot of weight. It was only for about a week,
          and now that he can sleep with us again, he is doing much better. He
          is gaining weight back quickly. THANK GOD! He does (now) seem to be
          hungrier than before (he literally begs for food whenever I enter the
          bathroom, where I keep his treats and food), but that's the only
          difference I've noticed.

          Amlodipine is a medication that people use for high b/p. You
          actually get it from a pharmacy. (Well, I don't, I get it from the
          vet, because they make it into the treats for me.) In the research
          I've done on the internet, Amlodipine was the drug that was suggested
          on all of the sites. (I don't know whether it is the drug name or
          the trade name - it is what the vet wrote on the prescription form,
          if that helps...)

          Amber

        • Laura Penny
          Message 4 of 18 , Jan 10, 2001
            Amlodipine is the generic name; Norvasc is the brand name.

            It's been a wonder drug in our house for both cats.

            Laura, Lucky, & Kassy

> [...]
            >> > tell if the murmur is caused by restrictive cardiomyopathy, or if
            >it
            >> > is due to the high blood pressure. Smudge has been put on meds
            >> > (amlodipine - I had it made into treats, and he loves it!) for the
            >> > blood pressure, but hasn't been put on anything for the heart
            >> > murmur. I was wondering if there is anyone else on the list who
            >has
            >> > found that their cat is having heart problems due to high b/p,
            >and if
            >> > so, is there anything else I can do to help ensure that he spends
            >as
            >> > much time as possible with me??? I plan on asking my vet about
            >> > CoEnzyme Q-10 (suggested on another list) and Vitamin E when
            >Smudge
            >> > goes in for a check-up later this month... does anyone else have

          • hooptybug
            Message 5 of 18 , Sep 20, 2002
              Hi everyone. My name is Kim and my cat Tiny went into congestive
              heart failure in June 2001. The vet said he had a severe heart
              murmur and and enlarged heart. He was put on lasix and has been on
              that ever since and living a normal life. We recently moved and
              thought we would take Tiny to a new vet here in Michigan to get a
              second opinion because he was doing so well on the lasix we were
              wondering if he really needed it. The vet here diagnosed him with
              cardiomyopathy.

              Last Thursday she put him on Enalapril (Enacard), Atenolol and more
              than doubled his lasix. The lasix was only doubled for about 3-4
              days to get him breathing better. By Sunday he was not himself and
              just lying around doing absolutely nothing. So I took him back to
              the vet and they said he was dehydrated and almost in kidney failure
              because of all the meds. They have been giving him fluids and he is
              eating and drinking. But he doesn't even have the energy to make it
              to the litter box so I have to put him in there every few hours to
              see if he has to go.

              Yesterday the vet shocked me when he told me he was probably going
              to have kidney failure and may only live a few more days! I wish I
              had never even taken him in because he was fine before, why did I do
              that! Anyway after a lot of loving Tiny and feeding him Tuna last
              night and not to mention a lot of praying, I took him back to the
              vet today and his BUN levels for his kidneys were down from 106 to
              76! Its still very high but it went down when the vet was expecting
              him to get worse or stay the same! So hopefully Tiny is not going
              anywhere for a very long time! The vet pretty much said he was
              lucky to live that long with this disease. But today he told me he
              has seen cats live to 10 years and I am hoping Tiny will be one of
              them! I want to prove the vet wrong and Tiny be the exception to
              the rule!

              Tiny was only 2 when he was diagnosed (it came out of no where, all
              of a sudden he was in heart failure). Tiny is 3 now and he is the
              best kitty in the world and I don't want to lose him! Sorry this is
              so long but I guess I just needed to get it out. Please pray for
              Tiny, I'll be praying for all of your kitties!

              Kim
            • Christy
              Message 6 of 18 , Sep 20, 2002
                Dear Kim and Tiny,

                I will definitely be thinking of you two. I can't imagine how you
                must feel, but it does sound like Tiny is improving. If you go
                through the archives of this group, you will read many posts
                regarding how their cats surprised and shocked their vets, living
                long after the vet thought they would. Remember, your emotions and
                your feelings will effect Tiny. I believe lots of love and attention
                is what Tiny needs from you. If your are calm and relaxed, Tiny will
                be also. I know you're scared right now. I would be too, but try to
                help Tiny feel safe and secure. I think it really helps.

                I'm no expert, and relatively new to this group, but if my vet
                changed my cat's course of treatment and her health took a turn for
                the worse, I might consider getting a second opinion. Did your vet
                perform an echo before adding the new meds? An echo is essential in
                diagnosing heart disease.

                I'm sorry that bad news has brought you to this group, but you are in
                a good place and will receive lots of support. I'm sure some of the
                other members can give you more advice. We will all keep you and
                Tiny in our thoughts. Me and my gang will light a candle for Tiny
                tonight.

                Christy, Bruce, Precious & Blackie

              • diane
                Message 7 of 18 , Sep 20, 2002
                  Kim,

                  That's awful for you and Tiny!

                  Do you still live close enough to see your old vet again? At least
                  talk to them and tell them what happened.

                  And yes, get another opinion!

                  I'm not sure Enacard and Atenolol should be given together, anyone?
                  Kearra was switched from one to the other as her condition changed.
                  And yes, Enacard can affect the kidney values. How much was he on?
                  Kearra had half a dose for the first year.

                  Diane

                  >Hi everyone. My name is Kim and my cat Tiny went into congestive
                  >heart failure in June 2001. The vet said he had a severe heart
                  >murmur and and enlarged heart. He was put on lasix and has been on
                  >that ever since and living a normal life. We recently moved and
                  >thought we would take Tiny to a new vet here in Michigan to get a
                  >second opinion because he was doing so well on the lasix we were
                  >wondering if he really needed it. The vet here diagnosed him with
                  >cardiomyopathy.
                  >
                  >Last Thursday she put him on Enalapril (Enacard), Atenolol and more
                  >than doubled his lasix. The lasix was only doubled for about 3-4
                  >days to get him breathing better. By Sunday he was not himself and
                  >just lying around doing absolutely nothing. So I took him back to
                  >the vet and they said he was dehydrated and almost in kidney failure
                  >because of all the meds. They have been giving him fluids and he is
                  >eating and drinking. But he doesn't even have the energy to make it
                  >to the litter box so I have to put him in there every few hours to
                  >see if he has to go.
                  >
                  >Yesterday the vet shocked me when he told me he was probably going
                  >to have kidney failure and may only live a few more days! I wish I
                  >had never even taken him in because he was fine before, why did I do
                  >that! Anyway after a lot of loving Tiny and feeding him Tuna last
                  >night and not to mention a lot of praying, I took him back to the
                  >vet today and his BUN levels for his kidneys were down from 106 to
                  >76! Its still very high but it went down when the vet was expecting
                  >him to get worse or stay the same! So hopefully Tiny is not going
                  >anywhere for a very long time! The vet pretty much said he was
                  >lucky to live that long with this disease. But today he told me he
                  >has seen cats live to 10 years and I am hoping Tiny will be one of
                  >them! I want to prove the vet wrong and Tiny be the exception to
                  >the rule!
                  >
                  >Tiny was only 2 when he was diagnosed (it came out of no where, all
                  >of a sudden he was in heart failure). Tiny is 3 now and he is the
                  >best kitty in the world and I don't want to lose him! Sorry this is
                  >so long but I guess I just needed to get it out. Please pray for
                  >Tiny, I'll be praying for all of your kitties!
                  >
                  >Kim
                  >
                  >----------------------
                • Mike & Linda Irrgang
                  Message 8 of 18 , Sep 21, 2002
                    Hi Kim,

                    We'll be thinking of you.....

                    Have you considered a cardiologist for Tiny?

                    Linda and the boys

                    Message 9 of 18 , Sep 22, 2002
                      Dear Lisa,

                      What a terrible experience, you expect the vet to help your cat!
                      can't imagine what I would've done in your situation. You sound very
                      determined and I'm sure Tiny really appreciates you fighting for
                      him. I just wanted you to know that I'm praying for Tiny (along with
                      the other cats as well), he sounds like he's a fighter too, and
                      that's so important with HCM. There are many cats on this list who
                      lived years longer than predicted by the vets, so don't let their
                      negative assessments scare you.

                      Take care-

                      Maureen

                      --- In feline-heart@y..., "hooptybug" <hooptybug@a...> wrote:
                      > Hi everyone. My name is Kim and my cat Tiny went into congestive
                      > heart failure in June 2001. The vet said he had a severe heart
                      > murmur and and enlarged heart. He was put on lasix and has been on
                      > that ever since and living a normal life.
                    • mmitch5263
                      Message 10 of 18 , Jul 16, 2007
                        Hi Everyone,

                        I am new to the group. My cat Jackson (1 y.o.) was just diagnosed
                        with hcm. He went into heart failure and that is how we found out.
                        He was healthy and perfect one day and really sick the next. The
                        cardio started him on Lasix, atenolol and enalapril. He is home now
                        and seems to be doing well. He is eating and starting to want to
                        play. Any advice or info would be greatly appreciated. I am not sure
                        what to expect with him.

                        thanks
                        Melissa
                      • moonpye
                        Message 11 of 18 , Jul 16, 2007
                          Hi Melissa,

                          Welcome to you and Jackson...I am sorry to hear about Jackson being dx'd...

                          It's great that he is home and doing so well! :) You are doing all the
                          right things! Leah and Sue have given you great information and I'm sure
                          Jackson will continue to do very well!!

                          Best to you and Jackson!

                          Hugs,
                          Candace

                          On 7/16/07, mmitch5263 <mmitch5263@...> wrote:

                          > Hi Everyone,
                          >
                          > I am new to the group. My cat Jackson (1 y.o.) was just diagnosed
                          > with hcm. He went into heart failure and that is how we found out.
                          > He was healthy and perfect one day and really sick the next. The
                          > cardio started him on Lasix, atenolol and enalapril. He is home now
                          > and seems to be doing well. He is eating and starting to want to
                          > play. Any advice or info would be greatly appreciated. I am not sure
                          > what to expect with him.
                          >

                          > thanks
                          > Melissa

                        • Jinelle
                          Message 12 of 18 , Oct 8, 2012
                             Hi all

                            I am hoping to get help with this group.  My favourite Persian 4 year old soul kitty has just been diagnosed with HOCM. The obstruction they classified as "severe" in the left ventricle or atrium. ( not fully understanding ).

                            The scary thing is that the cardiologist told me that he has seen cats with the same prognosis live for "many months".

                            M O N T H E S ??? My heart sank.

                            I am praying that my boy is gong to be the exception. If he didnt have the obstruction, there would be no need for panic supposedly.

                            Right now we are trying to find the right balance of Lasix. He is on Furosemide1/4 of a 20 mg tab. Giving that 2 times a day is resulting in dehydration and he seems to have difficulty swallowing.

                            We went through last week with no meds at all as per the specialist but then yesterday he went into respiratory distress again yesterday. I rushed him to my vet who did yet another cardiac ultrasound showing the heart larger and working harder. When he is on meds, the heart works better and seems to be ok but it zaps out his energy and he lies on the cold floor often. This is awful :(

                            We need to find a very small dose I guess and find the right balance between dehydration and keeping the fluids from forming and backing up into the lungs.  Both my vet and the cardiologist have suggested to hold off before we start giving Benzapril Hydrochloride. Not 100% sure why..

                            Any comments or suggestions would be much appreciated. This seems like a bad nightmare.

                            Thank you all

                            Jinelle

                            >^..^<  >^..^<   >^..^<  >^..^<

                          • joanne marbut
                            Message 13 of 18 , Oct 8, 2012
                              I'm not familiar with obstructions unless they mean clots.  Those need to be busted and there's Plavix but other drugs might be better that are clot busting drugs but I don't know what those are for cats.

                              Your cat needs daily management meds beyond lasix such as atenolol and enalapril-they work to slow the heart to keep it from working too hard and being over taxed; they work different ways to bring down blood pressure-atenolol affects the heart muscle and enalapril keeps the blood veins opened and not restricted.  Plavix is a blood thinner that will help break up clots maybe but helps to thin the blood, let it flow without making the heart work too hard, and will help prevent clots. Sprionolactone will help the body retain potassium much needed for the kidneys to function and act as an additional diuretic. The lasix is great but dehydration is a problem.  It will spurn him to drink more. Give him only wet food and add additional water to it and give him water by mouth 2 or three times a day, whatever you can do (2 eyedroppers full or 3ccs from a syringe you should be able to get from your vet.)

                              Get him on these meds if possible.  Give him as much water as possible.  Monitor him as much as possible for signs of distress.  Keep him warm if it's cold where you are or cool if it's hot.  Keep the environment stress free and quiet as possible. Keep kids, other pets, and people away or keep them quiet.  Don't encourage play for now.

                              Good luck!

                            • elfinmyst@aol.com
                              Message 14 of 18 , Oct 9, 2012
                                Hi Jinelle

                                My Maxi is a HOCM cat . He takes atenolol which has kept it under control
                                for years. Trixi is a HOCM cat too and has been in heart failure several
                                times,. Your dose of lasix is very small, Trixi went to 5mg 6 times a day at
                                her worst to control heart failure. There is definitely room to increase
                                lasix which works for 8 hours and you could add spironolactone as well which
                                works well with lasix.

                                I am very surprised he isn't on any other tablets to help his heart. Mine
                                are on benazipril which helps them a lot. You could ask for that to be
                                started or a beta blocker, but there may be a reason they want to deal with the
                                fluid first.

                                My HCM cats all take Coenzyme Q at 30mg a day (either Cardiostrength or
                                from the health store) and that helps a lot. If it's any consolation, months
                                can mean years. Trixi was given two months to live as a 12 week old kitten.
                                She is six years old now! She didn't listen to the cardiologist. Josh has
                                lived with HCM for 8 years now and Maxi for 6 years. It's finding the right
                                balance of drugs and controlling that fluid which is vital now.

                              • keycmv
                                Message 15 of 18 , Oct 10, 2012
                                  You are doing a fantastic job - as you have caught things early! High b/p can cause blindness, so treatment is important. Just keep doing what you are doing and Smudge should be around for quite awhile.

                                  My boy has had a heart murmur since he was a kitten. He is 19 now and was diagnosed with HCM last Christmas after heart failure. He did have a high b/p, that is controlled by meds.

                                  Carol and Gump
                                • Rhy
                                  Message 16 of 18 , Apr 17, 2013
                                    Hello all! This group looks really nice! I can not wait to start asking questions and learning new things. You see, I may have a new cat in my life!!! He is called small cat, though he will be getting a new name when his adoption is finalized. He is an amazing blue eyed Siamese cat. Now I do know he had a grade 4 heart problem. They are not sure just how long he will live but I only care that each day is full of life and love. My two other cats are used to new foster cats and are so very good, but this one will be the last new one.
                                    Again thank you all for being a cool friendly group. I am sure wet will share laughs and a few years.
                                    Rhywnn Gaffney
                                  • elfinmyst
                                    Message 17 of 18 , Apr 19, 2013
                                      Hi Rhywnn

                                      A grade four heart murmur is always serious. The best possible thing you
                                      can do is take him to a cardiologist and have an ultrasound scan done. The
                                      you will know exactly what his heart problem is. It could be HCM , it could
                                      be a hole in his heart, all of these conditions can have treatment ato help
                                      stabilise them.

                                      I think its wonderful you are taking a sick kitty. We took milli with her
                                      grade 4 and she has two holes in her heart and was given a year or so to
                                      live as a kitten. She is seven years this summer and takes a lot of drugs

                                    • rhywnn gaffney
                                      Message 18 of 18 , Apr 19, 2013
                                        Sorry he has a grade 5 and he is on benazepril and atenolol. It is a
                                        birth defect but that is all I know.
                                        He is sooo cute! Sounds like a bit of a brat, but once he sets the rules i
                                        am sure i will do fine.
                                        Rhywnn