Cayenne and heart disease

  • Voula Augerinos
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 5, 2001
      Hi everyone,
      a friend of mine wrote to me that there is some information on cayenne
      in the book that the Tilfords have out on herbs for
      animals - it's on pgs. 94-96. There is only one scientific reference quoted

      in the article though and it pertained to topical use of capsaicin for
      arthritis. People can also get a two page leaflet from Jean's Greens (an
      herbal company in the US) where it gives some information about a book
      a man wrote called "Left for Dead" by Dick Quinn, who recovered from heart
      disease, largely due to his use of cayenne on a daily basis.
      Apart from the kitty who was left for dead by the vet, and therefore
      the owner had to do something, I think any herbs we give to our cats should
      be approved by a vet for use in cats - and because they may be okay for
      dogs or other animals - does not mean they are automatically okay for cats
      - cats' livers process things differently. It should also be a vet with
      training in herbal medicine, not an allopathic vet.
      There are western medicines / drugs prescribed by vets which have no
      scientific evidence of efficacy. Anabolic steroids given to cats with
      kidney disease is one example. There is no proof that they work. Vets have
      told me that they give anabolic steroids to cats for anemia and to prevent
      muscle wastage, based on anecdotal evidence. In other words, evidence based
      on personal experience and not scientific proof. Aspirin to prevent blood
      clots is another example. There is no conclusive scientific evidence that
      it works.
      I think we need to know everyone's experiences with all forms of
      treatment, alternative and allopathic. After all the greatest life saving
      drugs - antibiotics - were discovered by "accident", when a bit of mould
      grew somewhere...