RE: [feline-heart] Herbs, vitamins and alternative cat med treatments.

  • Jonathan Rosenberg
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 5, 2001

      No need to apologize. But I appreciate the calm response in this message.

      > A good starting point for treating cat's would be the following url:
      > http://www.geocities.com/HotSprings/1158/feline.htm

      I have spent some time looking over the info here. Admittedly, I have not
      read it extensively, so I may have missed something in my following
      comments. If so, please speak up.

      The problem with all of the information on this site is that it appears to
      be strictly anecdotal (there is a mention of a 1940s study on raw diets, but
      there is no reference to the study). Instead, the information is riddled
      with phrases or unsubstantiated statements like

      "Read the testimonial of amazing health recovery in a 19
      year old cat with enzymes."
      "I've been feeding a natural diet to my cats for over six
      years now."
      "Clay is renowned to have many uses in promoting health ..."

      I'm sure I don't have to explain why anecdotal evidence is not useful in a
      scientific methodology (e.g., medecine). Does this mean that all of these
      natural remedies are useless? Of course not. What it does mean is that we
      have no way of knowing which of them (if any) are actually effective. It
      also means we have no way of knowing whether any harm is caused by any of
      them.

      > As for Cayenne, although I can't list any studies that have been done on
      > animals or people, because it would take an inordinate amount of time to
      > search for all of the references,

      Hmmm ... in all honesty, I suspect that there are no scientific studies
      showing the efficiacy of cayenne. I would be delighted to be proven wrong.

      > there is some good information here:
      > http://www.geocities.com/HotSprings/1158/cayenne.htm
      > from Dr. Schulze. he has treated many people with cayenne and I
      > have heard
      > of no negative references about cayenne when using this herb on animals.

      This is just more anecdotal evidence.

      > That is why I used it on my cat. The Bilberry information was
      > mentioned in a book by Dr. John Heinerman called "Natural Pet Cures".

      Is this work backed by any scientific studies?

      > Anyways, what did I or the cat have to lose?

      Most likely nothing. But, there is certainly a chance that using an herbal
      remedy could cause harm to your cat & hinder its ability to recover.

      > After all, the vet just wanted to put the cat away.

      There are, indeed, vets who take this approach to a serious blood clot.
      There are also vets who suggest putting down FIV+ cats, even when they
      appear healthy. I don't do business with these kinds of vets.

      > I have used cayenne on myself for several years and I knew what positive
      > benefits it has had on me, so I naturally decide to use it on my
      > cat and it worked.

      With all due respect, the claims that it "worked" for you & your cat are
      unsubstantiated. A non-trivial number of cats recover spontaneously from
      saddle thrombi (the blood clots that cause hind paralysis). As for
      yourself, you had no blind subject to compare with & I am certain you are
      aware of the placebo effect

      > My cat is healthy and running around driving me nuts. A
      > joyful nuts, because I do love the little bum. His name is
      > INKY because he is coal black.

      Believe me when I say that I am very happy that your cat recovered & is
      doing so well. And I applaud you for not listening to that vet.

      > And now, he is also healthy AND alive because I did NOT listen
      > to the vet and I treated him myself with herbs, vitamins and
      > a homeopathic product.

      Well, he certainly is alive because you didn't listen to the vet. But there
      is no scientific reason to believe that the herbs helped. It could just as
      easily have been the color of the carrier you used for your cat or the
      clothes you were wearing on that day.

      BTW: did you notice that the site you pointed us at quotes a woman who
      claims to have cured her cat's saddle thrombus with "one week of steady
      juicing"?

      > There ARE situations that should be handled by a vet, but
      > in this case, the vet wanted to put him away so I decided to
      > treat him myself and succeeded.

      You clearly saved your cat's life by taking him home. There is no way to
      know whether the herbs helped (or hindered).

      --
      JR
      & Tabby (RB), Lynx (RB), Licorice, Tigger