Herbs, vitamins and alternative cat med treatments.

  • Bogdan Bilyk
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 5, 2001
      Jonathan, I apologise. I did not mean to attack you. Sometimes I do come
      across as a little bit sarcastic. For that, I am sorry. A good starting
      point for treating cat's would be the following url:
      http://www.geocities.com/HotSprings/1158/feline.htm
      As for Cayenne, although I can't list any studies that have been done on
      animals or people, because it would take an inordinate amount of time to
      search for all of the references, there is some good information here:
      http://www.geocities.com/HotSprings/1158/cayenne.htm
      from Dr. Schulze. he has treated many people with cayenne and I have heard
      of no negative references about cayenne when using this herb on animals.
      That is why I used it on my cat. The Bilberry information was mentioned in a
      book by Dr. John Heinerman called "Natural Pet Cures". Anyways, what did I
      or the cat have to lose? After all, the vet just wanted to put the cat away.
      I have used cayenne on myself for several years and I knew what positive
      benefits it has had on me, so I naturally decide to use it on my cat and it
      worked. My cat is healthy and running around driving me nuts. A joyful nuts,
      because I do love the little bum. His name is INKY because he is coal black.
      And now, he is also healthy AND alive because I did NOT listen to the vet
      and I treated him myself with herbs, vitamins and a homeopathic product.
      There ARE situations that should be handled by a vet, but in this case, the
      vet wanted to put him away so I decided to treat him myself and succeeded.

    • Jonathan Rosenberg
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 5, 2001

        No need to apologize. But I appreciate the calm response in this message.

        > A good starting point for treating cat's would be the following url:
        > http://www.geocities.com/HotSprings/1158/feline.htm

        I have spent some time looking over the info here. Admittedly, I have not
        read it extensively, so I may have missed something in my following
        comments. If so, please speak up.

        The problem with all of the information on this site is that it appears to
        be strictly anecdotal (there is a mention of a 1940s study on raw diets, but
        there is no reference to the study). Instead, the information is riddled
        with phrases or unsubstantiated statements like

        "Read the testimonial of amazing health recovery in a 19
        year old cat with enzymes."
        "I've been feeding a natural diet to my cats for over six
        years now."
        "Clay is renowned to have many uses in promoting health ..."

        I'm sure I don't have to explain why anecdotal evidence is not useful in a
        scientific methodology (e.g., medecine). Does this mean that all of these
        natural remedies are useless? Of course not. What it does mean is that we
        have no way of knowing which of them (if any) are actually effective. It
        also means we have no way of knowing whether any harm is caused by any of
        them.

        > As for Cayenne, although I can't list any studies that have been done on
        > animals or people, because it would take an inordinate amount of time to
        > search for all of the references,

        Hmmm ... in all honesty, I suspect that there are no scientific studies
        showing the efficiacy of cayenne. I would be delighted to be proven wrong.

        > there is some good information here:
        > http://www.geocities.com/HotSprings/1158/cayenne.htm
        > from Dr. Schulze. he has treated many people with cayenne and I
        > have heard
        > of no negative references about cayenne when using this herb on animals.

        This is just more anecdotal evidence.

        > That is why I used it on my cat. The Bilberry information was
        > mentioned in a book by Dr. John Heinerman called "Natural Pet Cures".

        Is this work backed by any scientific studies?

        > Anyways, what did I or the cat have to lose?

        Most likely nothing. But, there is certainly a chance that using an herbal
        remedy could cause harm to your cat & hinder its ability to recover.

        > After all, the vet just wanted to put the cat away.

        There are, indeed, vets who take this approach to a serious blood clot.
        There are also vets who suggest putting down FIV+ cats, even when they
        appear healthy. I don't do business with these kinds of vets.

        > I have used cayenne on myself for several years and I knew what positive
        > benefits it has had on me, so I naturally decide to use it on my
        > cat and it worked.

        With all due respect, the claims that it "worked" for you & your cat are
        unsubstantiated. A non-trivial number of cats recover spontaneously from
        saddle thrombi (the blood clots that cause hind paralysis). As for
        yourself, you had no blind subject to compare with & I am certain you are
        aware of the placebo effect

        > My cat is healthy and running around driving me nuts. A
        > joyful nuts, because I do love the little bum. His name is
        > INKY because he is coal black.

        Believe me when I say that I am very happy that your cat recovered & is
        doing so well. And I applaud you for not listening to that vet.

        > And now, he is also healthy AND alive because I did NOT listen
        > to the vet and I treated him myself with herbs, vitamins and
        > a homeopathic product.

        Well, he certainly is alive because you didn't listen to the vet. But there
        is no scientific reason to believe that the herbs helped. It could just as
        easily have been the color of the carrier you used for your cat or the
        clothes you were wearing on that day.

        BTW: did you notice that the site you pointed us at quotes a woman who
        claims to have cured her cat's saddle thrombus with "one week of steady
        juicing"?

        > There ARE situations that should be handled by a vet, but
        > in this case, the vet wanted to put him away so I decided to
        > treat him myself and succeeded.

        You clearly saved your cat's life by taking him home. There is no way to
        know whether the herbs helped (or hindered).

        --
        JR
        & Tabby (RB), Lynx (RB), Licorice, Tigger