Re: [feline-heart] Whiskers Update

  • Anyes Moscrip
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 5, 2001
      sciani@... wrote:

      > Whiskers went to cardiologist today. Vet determined that we're
      > dealing with restrictive cardiomyopathy. Chyle accumulation seems to
      > have slowed some. Whiskers is now taking Enalapril, Isosorbide
      > mononitrate, Dilacor, Lasix and Prednisolone along with his
      > potassium, iron, B-12, folic acid, salmon oil, taurine, rutin and Co-
      > Q10. Yes, he does get some food in there, too. The anemia is not
      > really being addressed anymore.
      >
      > Vet thinks he has just 4-6 months. I'm not exactly sad - more
      > relieved to know what's going on and what to expect.
      >
      > Susan C

      Do you know why the vet prescribed Prednisolone. That's not good for the
      heart, but may be necessary if there are other conditions. It would be
      good to ask about it and avoid it if possible.

      We used Winstrol for anemia (another type of steroid) and it worked
      really well. It does not have the negative effects of Prednisolone, but
      it is also for different purpose. You could ask the vet about that
      too...

      I hope this helps,
      Anyes, angel Lucie, Georgina and Angelica
    • ne woods
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 5, 2001
        what is clyle accumulation?

      • sciani@aol.com
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 5, 2001
          --- In feline-heart@egroups.com, Anyes Moscrip <anyes@i...> wrote:

          > Do you know why the vet prescribed Prednisolone. That's not good
          for the
          > heart, but may be necessary if there are other conditions. It
          would be
          > good to ask about it and avoid it if possible.
          >
          > We used Winstrol for anemia (another type of steroid) and it worked
          > really well. It does not have the negative effects of
          Prednisolone, but
          > it is also for different purpose. You could ask the vet about that
          > too...
          >
          > I hope this helps,
          > Anyes, angel Lucie, Georgina and Angelica

          Whiskers has been getting prednisolone for over 2 years for his IBD.
          There also had been a period of improvement with the anemia when the
          pred was increased - but that was temporary. I had asked about
          Winstrol once before, but can ask again.

          Susan C
        • sciani@aol.com
          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 5, 2001
            --- In feline-heart@egroups.com, "ne woods" <newoods@1...> wrote:
            > what is clyle accumulation?

            chyle

            (noun)

            : lymph that is milky from emulsified fats, is characteristically
            present in the lacteals, and is most apparent during intestinal
            absorption of fats

            Whiskers has been accumulating chyle in the pleura around his lungs.
            Since Thanksgiving, he's had a total of over one liter of chyle
            tapped from his chest.
          • Anyes Moscrip
            Message 5 of 7 , Jan 5, 2001
              sciani@... wrote:

              > Whiskers has been accumulating chyle in the pleura around his lungs.
              > Since Thanksgiving, he's had a total of over one liter of chyle
              > tapped from his chest.

              Is Whiskers getting Rutin? There is some info on this on the VIN
              board. It is a diuretic which is supposed to help with Chylous
              effusions. Lucie was to start using it but she died the next day so I
              don't have personal experience to contribute. However, I know others
              have had good results with it.

              Anyes, angel Lucie, Georgina and Angelica
            • rhbutlerjr@worldnet.att.net
              Message 6 of 7 , Jan 10, 2001
                wrote:
                > what is clyle accumulation?
                university of Purdue hospital put her on it 500 mg 1/2 pill three
                timees a day.That was in april 2000 and she has not been back
                again, She only was given a few months too. Hang in rutin can
                help Janie