Whiskers Update

  • sciani@aol.com
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 4, 2001
      Whiskers went to cardiologist today. Vet determined that we're
      dealing with restrictive cardiomyopathy. Chyle accumulation seems to
      have slowed some. Whiskers is now taking Enalapril, Isosorbide
      mononitrate, Dilacor, Lasix and Prednisolone along with his
      potassium, iron, B-12, folic acid, salmon oil, taurine, rutin and Co-
      Q10. Yes, he does get some food in there, too. The anemia is not
      really being addressed anymore.

      Vet thinks he has just 4-6 months. I'm not exactly sad - more
      relieved to know what's going on and what to expect.

      Susan C
    • Anyes Moscrip
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 5, 2001
        sciani@... wrote:

        > Whiskers went to cardiologist today. Vet determined that we're
        > dealing with restrictive cardiomyopathy. Chyle accumulation seems to
        > have slowed some. Whiskers is now taking Enalapril, Isosorbide
        > mononitrate, Dilacor, Lasix and Prednisolone along with his
        > potassium, iron, B-12, folic acid, salmon oil, taurine, rutin and Co-
        > Q10. Yes, he does get some food in there, too. The anemia is not
        > really being addressed anymore.
        >
        > Vet thinks he has just 4-6 months. I'm not exactly sad - more
        > relieved to know what's going on and what to expect.
        >
        > Susan C

        Do you know why the vet prescribed Prednisolone. That's not good for the
        heart, but may be necessary if there are other conditions. It would be
        good to ask about it and avoid it if possible.

        We used Winstrol for anemia (another type of steroid) and it worked
        really well. It does not have the negative effects of Prednisolone, but
        it is also for different purpose. You could ask the vet about that
        too...

        I hope this helps,
        Anyes, angel Lucie, Georgina and Angelica
      • ne woods
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 5, 2001
          what is clyle accumulation?

          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 5, 2001
            --- In feline-heart@egroups.com, Anyes Moscrip <anyes@i...> wrote:

            > Do you know why the vet prescribed Prednisolone. That's not good
            for the
            > heart, but may be necessary if there are other conditions. It
            would be
            > good to ask about it and avoid it if possible.
            >
            > We used Winstrol for anemia (another type of steroid) and it worked
            > really well. It does not have the negative effects of
            Prednisolone, but
            > it is also for different purpose. You could ask the vet about that
            > too...
            >
            > I hope this helps,
            > Anyes, angel Lucie, Georgina and Angelica

            Whiskers has been getting prednisolone for over 2 years for his IBD.
            There also had been a period of improvement with the anemia when the
            pred was increased - but that was temporary. I had asked about
            Winstrol once before, but can ask again.

            Susan C
          • sciani@aol.com
            Message 5 of 7 , Jan 5, 2001
              --- In feline-heart@egroups.com, "ne woods" <newoods@1...> wrote:
              > what is clyle accumulation?

              chyle

              (noun)

              : lymph that is milky from emulsified fats, is characteristically
              present in the lacteals, and is most apparent during intestinal
              absorption of fats

              Whiskers has been accumulating chyle in the pleura around his lungs.
              Since Thanksgiving, he's had a total of over one liter of chyle
              tapped from his chest.
            • Anyes Moscrip
              Message 6 of 7 , Jan 5, 2001
                sciani@... wrote:

                > Whiskers has been accumulating chyle in the pleura around his lungs.
                > Since Thanksgiving, he's had a total of over one liter of chyle
                > tapped from his chest.

                Is Whiskers getting Rutin? There is some info on this on the VIN
                board. It is a diuretic which is supposed to help with Chylous
                effusions. Lucie was to start using it but she died the next day so I
                don't have personal experience to contribute. However, I know others
                have had good results with it.

                Anyes, angel Lucie, Georgina and Angelica
              • rhbutlerjr@worldnet.att.net
                Message 7 of 7 , Jan 10, 2001
                  wrote:
                  > what is clyle accumulation?
                  university of Purdue hospital put her on it 500 mg 1/2 pill three
                  timees a day.That was in april 2000 and she has not been back
                  again, She only was given a few months too. Hang in rutin can
                  help Janie