Re: [feline-heart] Blood clot?

  • Laura Penny
    Message 1 of 16 , Jan 4, 2001
      Hi Debbie,

      I read your notes on the CRF list (I'm one of the many with cats with
      multiple problems). I'm sorry you're going thru a tough time now; I also had
      a CRF cat who had blood clots.

      The first thing that I thought about when I read about Screamer was that
      Kassy also developed a huge purple lump, not after sub-Qs but after a blood
      draw. Her back leg was very sore and the swelling and bruise took about a
      week to go away. The vet said it was a hematoma from the blood clotting, but
      did not mention the type of blood clot that appears in cats with
      cardiomyopathy.

      Have they definitely ruled out a hematoma?

      If it truly was a blood clot, I have two thoughts:

      1) I don't think aspirin is going to shut down her kidneys if used
      conservatively. All three of my cats have/had CRF and heart disease, and the
      cardiologist and vet OK'd baby aspirin in all three cases.

      2) What about Coumadin? It's scary to use at home because of the risk of
      bleeding, but in a controlled situation at the vet, I don't know why they
      can't use it.

      I've been thinking about you and Screamer. I hope this helps.

      Laura, Lucky, Kassy & Angel Annie

      Message 2 of 16 , Jan 4, 2001
        I rechecked some of the literature & it does mention swelling as a possible
        symptom of a blood clot. I should have checked before sending my mail last
        night.

        Other symptoms are cold toes, cyanotic nail beds & weak/non-existent pulse
        in the affected leg. Did the vet mention these symptoms? If these aren't
        present, I'd be suspicious of the diagnosis. The cold toes were VERY
        obvious when Lynx threw hos clots.

        In any case, here's a few thoughts:

        1) It IS possible to definitvely to diagnose a blood clot, but it is
        difficult as it requires some specialized machinery (a doppler blood test,
        or something like that). If there's any way you could get him to a clinic
        with one of those, it might be worth it (IMHO).

        2) There is no feasible treatment to dissolve a blood clot. The cat's body
        must deal with the clot on its own. Aspirin IS usually given, but that does
        nothing to the existing clot. it is given in hopes of preventing future
        clots.

        3) The vast majority of cats (85%) that throw clots have heart disease.
        Doers Screamer have any such history?

        4) Improvement is usually seen within a few days to weeks, but it can take
        many weeks for full recovery.

        Lynx recovered completely from all 3 of his blood clots. I pray that your
        boy does as well.

        Please keep us informed.

      • Bogdan Bilyk
        Message 3 of 16 , Jan 4, 2001
          My cat had blood clots also. He was paralysed and the vet said to put him
          away. I said NO WAY! He's only 11 yrs. old and still has a long way to go. I
          went to the health food store and bought the following items: Rescue Remedy
          ( 4 drops on the cat's tongue ), a Carnitine, Co-Q10 and
          B-5 in each capsule combination, powdered vit. C ascorbate, Bayberry
          Tincture and cayenne tincture. The cayenne stimulated the cardiovascular
          system and helps break up clots. Bayberry has been used to heal paralysis in
          animals (and humans), the Carnitine provided energy to the cells that could
          not have gotten nutrients due to the clot, Co-Q10 also provides energy to
          the heart, B-5 is also necessary for the heart and the rescue remedy calms
          the animal down during stressful events like this. I gave about 5 drops of
          the tinctures to the cat every three hours. I also mixed the vit. C with
          distilled water and also gave it to him, 1/2 dropperful at a time. He
          recovered and runs around like a kitten again. Drives me nuts, sometimes
          with all of the energy he has. Hope this helps.

        • Jonathan Rosenberg
          Message 4 of 16 , Jan 4, 2001
            I'm happy that your cat recovered so well from his blood clot. I'm sure
            that you have faith in the homeopathic remedies you tried (especially give
            then successful outcome) & I'm guessing that they couldn't possibly have
            hurt him.

            But I want to put in a word for science here. No matter what your view of
            non-traditional approaches to medicine, it is undeniable that virtually all
            of the advances in quality of life that our cats enjoy today is due to use
            of the scientific method (in which hyoptheses are cerafully tested, etc.).

            I did a lot of research on blood clots in cats when Lynx threw his first
            clot. All studies have shown that some cats (percentage debated) will
            recover very well from even severe blood clots. So far, no one has been
            able to find anything that improves on the cat's natural ability to deal
            with a clot.

            One more item to note is that these clots never actually dissolve. Instead,
            the cat's body is able to 'work around" the clots. The most common method
            is for the body to drill canals through the clot (known as recanalization).

          • SHBR (Stephen Brown)
            Message 5 of 16 , Jan 4, 2001
              I can't comment directly on the efficacy of any of the compounds that Bogdan
              mentions, but to be technically correct I don't think most of them are
              actually homeopathic, i.e. diluted to the point where no active ingredient
              remains (except for maybe Rescue Remedy?). Maybe holistic remedies is a more
              accurate term?

              Jonathan, you must know whether TPA and/or streptokinase has been tested in
              cats?

              Steve

              Message 6 of 16 , Jan 4, 2001

                I was searching for the proper term & just got lazy & used the first word
                that came to mind. Thanks for the correction.

                > Jonathan, you must know whether TPA and/or streptokinase has been
                > tested in cats?

                Yep. I don't recall all of the details, but here's what I found out:

                1) The use of streptokinase showed no improvement in recovery on
                experimental cats.
                2) During the t-PA experiments, 50% of the cats died during therapy. This
                is believed to be worse than the odds for a cat that are not treated with
                t-PA.

                --
                JR
                & Tabby (RB), Lynx (RB), Licorice, Tigger>
                Message 7 of 16 , Jan 4, 2001
                  Jonathan, the ONLY homeopathic remedy that I used was Rescue Remedy. The
                  rest were herbs and vitamins which have been researched and studied. If you
                  would put in some thought and understanding into what you read, like a good
                  scientist is supposed to do, you would not have written your erroneous post
                  and wasted both of our times. Faith can be blind, science is based on trial
                  and error studies that show what works and what doesn't on a repeatable
                  basis. Just because you may not have heard of some of those nutrients that I
                  used does not make them any less valid. It just demonstrates a paucity of
                  knowledge about those substances on your part. Good luck with your 'limited'
                  knowledge of 'science'.

                • Jonathan Rosenberg
                  Message 8 of 16 , Jan 4, 2001

                    Yes, my terminology was sloppy. Someone else already pointed this out.

                    > The rest were herbs and vitamins which have been researched and
                    > studied. If you would put in some thought and understanding into
                    > what you read, like a good scientist is supposed to do, you would
                    > not have written your erroneous post and wasted both of our times.

                    I challenge you to point out even one erroneous point in my post (except for
                    my incorrect use of the term "homeopathic").

                    Furthermore, I'm not sure why you're so upset. I never said that the
                    remedies you used didn't work. I stated that no study I have seen has shown
                    that there is any way to improve on a cat's natural ability to deal with
                    blood clots. If you know of a scientific study that shows otherwise, I'm
                    sure we would all love to see the reference. This would be a major
                    breakthrough in dealing with blood clots in cats.

                    > Faith can be blind, science is based on trial and error studies
                    > that show what works and what doesn't on a repeatable
                    > basis.

                    At least we agree on something.

                    > Just because you may not have heard of some of those nutrients

                    I have heard of all of these nutrients.

                    > that I used does not make them any less valid. It just demonstrates
                    > a paucity of knowledge about those substances on your part.

                    I am more than willing, even anxious, to have my paucity reversed. Please
                    point us at any scientific studies that show the efficiacy of the herbs you
                    mentioned & their claimed benefits:

                    - cayenne stimulates the cardiovascular system and helps break up
                    clots
                    - bayberry heals paralysis in animals (and humans)
                    - carnitine provides energy to the cells that could not get
                    nutrients due to the clot
                    - Rescue Remedy calms the animal down during stress

                    > Good luck with your 'limited' knowledge of 'science'.

                    I am hoping that you will do more than wish me luck. I am hoping that you
                    can help me learn by responding with appropriate references to studies.

                    --
                    JR
                    & Tabby (RB), Lynx (RB), Licorice, Tigger
                  • Voula Augerinos
                    Message 9 of 16 , Jan 4, 2001
                      Hi Jonathan,

                      You wrote :

                      >it is undeniable that virtually all
                      > of the advances in quality of life that our cats enjoy today is due to
                      > use
                      > of the scientific method (in which hyoptheses are cerafully tested,
                      > etc.).

                      Dear Jonathan, I write this in a light hearted and non-adversarial
                      way. Your statement reminded me so much of our allopathic vet, who I have
                      tremendous affection for.
                      His favourite saying is "show me the statistics", when I talk about herbal
                      medicine to him. LOL! I just keep talking and he just keeps rolling his
                      eyes. In the end we are rolling our eyes at each other! LOL!

                      Lots of Love.

                    • Jonathan Rosenberg
                      Message 10 of 16 , Jan 4, 2001

                        I appreciate the note. And I'm not suggesting that everything in life comes
                        down to "science". Certainly the love I feel for my cats (+ the cats at the
                        shelter where I volunteer + Pebbles + all cats, to be frank) has no
                        scientific explanation.

                        And I never suggested that people should avoid non-allopathic remedies. I
                        was responding to the original post with the viewpoint of modern science.
                        That stimulated an attack from the original poster claiming that my post was
                        erroneous & a waste of time & that I have a limited knowledge of science.

                        I'm quite open minded & I simply asked the originator to back up his/her
                        claims. Believe me, I would love to be wrong & find that there is a viable
                        way to treat blood clots in cats. It's a devastating disease.

                        Message 11 of 16 , Jan 4, 2001
                          Jonathan, I apologise. I did not mean to attack you. Sometimes I do come
                          across as a little bit sarcastic. For that, I am sorry. A good starting
                          point for treating cat's would be the following url:
                          http://www.geocities.com/HotSprings/1158/feline.htm
                          As for Cayenne, although I can't list any studies that have been done on
                          animals or people, because it would take an inordinate amount of time to
                          search for all of the references, there is some good information here:
                          http://www.geocities.com/HotSprings/1158/cayenne.htm
                          from Dr. Schulze. he has treated many people with cayenne and I have heard
                          of no negative references about cayenne when using this herb on animals.
                          That is why I used it on my cat. What did I or the cat have to lose? After
                          all, the vet just wanted to put the cat away. I have used cayenne on myself
                          for several years and I knew what positive benefits it has had on me, so I
                          naturally decide to use it on my cat and it worked. My cat is healthy and
                          running around driving me nuts. A joyful nuts, because I do love the little
                          bum. His name is INKY because he is coal black. And now, he is also healthy
                          AND alive because I did NOT listen to the vet and I treated him myself with
                          herbs, vitamins and a homeopathic product. There ARE situations that should
                          be handled by a vet, but in this case, the vet wanted to put him away so I
                          decided to treat him myself and succeeded.

                        • Voula Augerinos
                          Message 12 of 16 , Jan 4, 2001
                            Dear Jonathan,

                            You wrote :
                            > I appreciate the note. And I'm not suggesting that everything in life
                            comes
                            > down to "science". Certainly the love I feel for my cats (+ the cats at
                            the
                            > shelter where I volunteer + Pebbles + all cats, to be frank) has no
                            > scientific explanation.

                            You are right. Love is beyond everything.

                            Love, Voula and Pebbles (thanks for loving me Jonathan!) and Lucy (he loves
                            me too! yay!) and my Beautiful Angel Sachie.
                          • Mike & Linda Irrgang (Now in Jamaica!)
                            Message 13 of 16 , Jan 4, 2001
                              Personally, I have always found all the info on this site very informative
                              and everyone very open-minded...I think we are all just trying to share what
                              we can to help each other work thru what are less than ideal
                              situations....situations which I am sure, most of us, especially our poor
                              pets, would rather have been spared....I for one want to hear about anything
                              and everything that may even remotely have the possibility of helping my
                              kitty.

                              Pls keep all info coming!

                              Linda, Pum and Max

                              Message 14 of 16 , Jan 5, 2001
                                Bogdan, kindly point us to the scientific studies and research you've
                                found in regards to dealing with the effects on felines, of the herbs
                                and vitamins you used in treating blod clots, specifically Saddle
                                Thrombus.

                                Thanks, Joe Weissmann

                                Message 15 of 16 , Jan 5, 2001
                                  Joe, see my reply to Jonathan.