Re: [FH] raw organ meats was Vet articles regarding cardiac nutrition and Fox study

  • bcowell
    Message 1 of 14 , Jul 1 3:17 PM
      For as many vets that do not like raw food for cats, you could
      probably find an equal number that do. It is a personal decision, but
      for us it was not a choice... Bobo refuses to eat dry food and cooked
      meat... I'd rather he ate something. Just like our other cat,
      Canaille, likes Fancy Feast. I think that is kitty junk food, but
      again I'd rather she ate.
      I've heard gizzards recommended to clean kitty's teeth when they chew
      them up.
      I'd rather they ate cooked meat, but instead I am just extremely
      careful with the fresh meat. I'm a microbiologist and quite paranoid
      about bacteria!
      Brigitte

      --- In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com, "Shirley G." <cgilpy@j...> wrote:
      > -
      >

      > I used to give one cat raw liver all the time but I would
      > freeze it first to kill certain bacteria and then I would chop it
      up
      > while still cold. I do not like to give raw food to my cats at
      all.
      > Many vets do not like it either.I prefer to micro whatever it is
      > until just pink or beyond pink. As to the gizzards being tough,
      well
      > there is always the blender or food

      processor.
      > - In feline-
      > heart@yahoogroups.com, "bcowell" <bcowell@y...> wrote:
      > > Bobo and Karamu both adore raw gizzards and hearts. They're not
      so
      > > keen on raw liver, but then I don't like liver for them anyway.
      > > I give them the hearts and gizzards occasionally instead of their
      > > chicken legs, which also need to be raw. Bobo won't eat cooked
      meat.
      > > Brigitte
      > >
      > > --- In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com, "Debbie Raikes-May"
      > > <debbie.raikesmay@d...> wrote:
      > > > btw I think it most unlikely they would eat chicken innards
      raw,
      > > too tough and gristly. Braising slow tenderises them and brings
      out
      > > the full smell which is what gets my old girlies going.
      > > > Debbie

    • Susan
      Message 2 of 14 , Jul 2 7:18 AM
        --- bcowell <bcowell@...> wrote:
        >> I'd rather they ate cooked meat, but instead I am
        > just extremely
        > careful with the fresh meat. I'm a microbiologist
        > and quite paranoid
        > about bacteria!
        > Brigitte

        Brigitte,

        I asked the question regarding raw organ meats on the
        vetlearn.com bulletin board and they brought up both
        bacterial contamination and parasites. I mentioned I
        had the OK from IM vet to feed raw baby clams and a
        vet said he was not aware of any parasites in clams
        but wasn't sure. I know I read somewhere once that
        organ meats contain concentrated amounts of anything
        bad the animal may have consumed or been exposed to
        and of course organ meats are sinfully high in
        cholesteral. ALSO it took an anthropologist to
        discover the brain wasting disease Kuru in New
        Guineau was transmitted because elderly females were
        practicing cannibalism of brain tissue. I keep
        thinking that the issue of organ meats is more complex
        than it may seem on the surface.

        Susan

        Susan

        =====

        http://sbc.yahoo.com
      • Wathey, Lisa
        Message 3 of 14 , Jul 2 8:39 AM
          Hey Brigitte, what do you think of the books that recommend "treating" the meat with grapefruit-seed extract to kill the bacteria (or anything else). Is it the acidic environment that would do it? I have just been buying Barney good quality meat at Whole foods but am concerned about it. Is there anything we can do to make it safer? Lisa W.

          This message and any attachments are intended for the use of the addressee(s) only and may be confidential and covered by the attorney/client and other privileges. If the reader is not the intended recipient, DO NOT READ, notify sender and delete this message. In addition, be aware that any disclosure, copying, distribution or use of the contents of this message is strictly prohibited.

        • Shirley G.
          Message 4 of 14 , Jul 2 8:43 AM
            ---Organ meats is very high in cholesterol if that is dangerous to
            the HCM cat please tell me because my vet is on vacation. I cannot
            eat organ meat and I love chicken livers and beef liver but it is bad
            for my cholesterol and heart so it is not
            permitted.

            In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com, Susan <somnamblst@y...> wrote:

            > --- bcowell <bcowell@y...> wrote:
            > >> I'd rather they ate cooked meat, but instead I am
            > > just extremely
            > > careful with the fresh meat. I'm a microbiologist
            > > and quite paranoid
            > > about bacteria!
            > > Brigitte
            >

            > Brigitte,
            >
            > I asked the question regarding raw organ meats on the
            > vetlearn.com bulletin board and they brought up both
            > bacterial contamination and parasites. I mentioned I
            > had the OK from IM vet to feed raw baby clams and a
            > vet said he was not aware of any parasites in clams
            > but wasn't sure. I know I read somewhere once that
            > organ meats contain concentrated amounts of anything
            > bad the animal may have consumed or been exposed to
            > and of course organ meats are sinfully high in
            > cholesteral. ALSO it took an anthropologist to
            > discover the brain wasting disease Kuru in New
            > Guineau was transmitted because elderly females were
            > practicing cannibalism of brain tissue. I keep
            > thinking that the issue of organ meats is more complex
            > than it may seem on the surface.
            >
            > Susan
            >
            > Susan
            >
            > =====
            > Rudy: Male DSH brown tabby, feral mom, diagnosed 09-2002 at 19
            months of age with idiopathic HCM: grade 2 murmur, hyperkinetic
            heart, borderline normal thickening, considered asymptomatic, 12.5 mg
            Atenolol 1x day, 1/2 baby aspirin 2x week administered via pilling

            > http://sbc.yahoo.com
          • bcowell
            Message 5 of 14 , Jul 2 3:19 PM
              Susan,
              I would never want to feed a lot of liver for the cholesterol issue,
              this is an organ that concentrates fats and is not necessarily so
              good. It is also the organ that filters, so it is the one that
              collects stuff like heavy metals and toxins. The heart is not one of
              those organs. I think it is hard to generalize about organs when they
              have such different functions. For example, the brain, it is quite a
              different tissue from the heart. The brain is related to transmission
              of prions such as Kuru as you say, but there is no data suggesting
              that eating of hearts would do the same.
              So I feed hearts and gizzards but not liver. Liver is often fed to
              fatten animals, and i guess that is because of it's high fat content.
              I asked both my vet and vet cardiologist about the feeding of hearts
              and gizzards and they were only positive. I did not want to feed
              these meats to my cats before I checked, but hearts had been
              recommended for taurine and gizzards for teeth cleaning.
              All meat we buy has an issue of bacterial contamination, especially
              chicken. But it is important to remember that the same bacteria that
              give us gastrointestinal disease from eating contaminated foods are
              not the same ones that affect our cats and dogs.
              Brigitte

              --- In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com, Susan <somnamblst@y...> wrote:

              > --- bcowell <bcowell@y...> wrote:
              > >> I'd rather they ate cooked meat, but instead I am
              > > just extremely
              > > careful with the fresh meat. I'm a microbiologist
              > > and quite paranoid
              > > about bacteria!
              > > Brigitte
              >

              > Brigitte,
              >
              > I asked the question regarding raw organ meats on the
              > vetlearn.com bulletin board and they brought up both
              > bacterial contamination and parasites. I mentioned I
              > had the OK from IM vet to feed raw baby clams and a
              > vet said he was not aware of any parasites in clams
              > but wasn't sure. I know I read somewhere once that
              > organ meats contain concentrated amounts of anything
              > bad the animal may have consumed or been exposed to
              > and of course organ meats are sinfully high in
              > cholesteral. ALSO it took an anthropologist to
              > discover the brain wasting disease Kuru in New
              > Guineau was transmitted because elderly females were
              > practicing cannibalism of brain tissue. I keep
              > thinking that the issue of organ meats is more complex
              > than it may seem on the surface.
              >
              > Susan
              >
              > Susan
              >
              > =====
              > Rudy: Male DSH brown tabby, feral mom, diagnosed 09-2002 at 19
              months of age with idiopathic HCM: grade 2 murmur, hyperkinetic
              heart, borderline normal thickening, considered asymptomatic, 12.5 mg
              Atenolol 1x day, 1/2 baby aspirin 2x week administered via pilling

              > http://sbc.yahoo.com
            • bcowell
              Message 6 of 14 , Jul 2 3:26 PM
                Lisa,
                I hadn't heard of using grapefruit-seed extract. There are a number
                of things that would kill most bacteria (never all, really only
                autoclaving or pressure cooking would do that). It could be acid in
                the extract I would think, one of the issues is will your cat still
                eat it after treatment? Maybe you could try adding the extract and
                see how much it changes the look and smell of it.
                I know a lot of cat breeders that feed chicken drop the raw chicken
                legs in boiling water for 3 minutes... it leaves the inside raw but
                somewhat sterilizes the outside. One breeder even drops in frozen raw
                chicken.
                I buy chicken at Whole Foods also for Bobo, I figure it's the best
                available for me, so it is good for him too. To be safe, I don't buy
                budget chicken, and I buy the chicken every other day so it is as
                fresh as possible. If we had a bigger freezer I would probably
                stockpile it so I didn't have to go grocery shopping all the time.
                Brigitte

                <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

                Message 7 of 14 , Jul 3 8:09 AM
                  --- bcowell <bcowell@...> wrote:
                  > I asked both my vet and vet cardiologist about the
                  > feeding of hearts
                  > and gizzards and they were only positive. I did not
                  > want to feed
                  > these meats to my cats before I checked, but hearts
                  > had been
                  > recommended for taurine and gizzards for teeth
                  > cleaning.

                  You may want to try baby clams for taurine (really
                  high) and they are quite chewy so I imagine they are
                  good for teeth. The iodine content is comparable to
                  chicken. Could Red Tide affect canned baby clams that
                  you know of?

                  > All meat we buy has an issue of bacterial
                  > contamination, especially
                  > chicken.

                  I am going to try beef heart. Rudy doesn't like any
                  chicken.

                  But it is important to remember that the
                  > same bacteria that
                  > give us gastrointestinal disease from eating
                  > contaminated foods are
                  > not the same ones that affect our cats and dogs.

                  I personally would worry most about feeding raw in the
                  context of the members of this list to any cats who
                  are suffering from cardiac cachexia since it does have
                  an effect on immune system function.

                  Some seafood recipes call for marinating in lemon
                  juice as that precooks the seafood. I wonder if this
                  could be a way to feed raw without baterial worry,
                  afterall it is the heat that distroys vitamins.

                  Do you have access to the full text articles that
                  PubMed lists abstracts for?

                  Susan

                  http://sbc.yahoo.com
                • bcowell
                  Message 8 of 14 , Jul 3 2:03 PM
                    Hi Susan,
                    I'll try the baby clams. I am thinking that little Karamu will love
                    them as she loves most food forms, but Bobo hasn't liked any fishy
                    things I've tried so he'll most likely not be interested. He's so
                    finicky and of course he's my heart kitty (mitral valve dysplasia).
                    Red Tide is an algal profusion isn't it? Can't see that that would be
                    bad, but I would want to do a search on it... I'll try to today. I
                    can't spend too much time at the computer...I fell down the stairs a
                    couple days ago and can't really sit down still.
                    Marinating in lemon juice would probably do a lot to kill most
                    bacteria. I think some can survive, after all food-borne pathogens
                    survive going through the stomach before causing trouble in your
                    intestines. For example, the bacteria that causes dysentery is
                    resistant to stomach acid, while the more common Salmonella and
                    Vibrio (seafood) are susceptible. So it most likely would be good,
                    but you would then have to see if your cat was interested in lemon-
                    flavored meat!
                    As to PubMed, I used to have access when I was working at the
                    university, and for a bit after I quit (I started questioning what I
                    was doing with my life). The university changed its system and the
                    passwords changed. I've been trying to get my ex-mentor to get me new
                    ID, but she's not so computer savvy so I think I will have to go
                    visit her to see if it can be worked out. Sorry I can't be of help
                    with that right now :(
                    Brigitte

                    --- In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com, Susan <somnamblst@y...> wrote:

                    > --- bcowell <bcowell@y...> wrote:
                    > > I asked both my vet and vet cardiologist about the
                    > > feeding of hearts
                    > > and gizzards and they were only positive. I did not
                    > > want to feed
                    > > these meats to my cats before I checked, but hearts
                    > > had been
                    > > recommended for taurine and gizzards for teeth
                    > > cleaning.
                    >
                    > You may want to try baby clams for taurine (really
                    > high) and they are quite chewy so I imagine they are
                    > good for teeth. The iodine content is comparable to
                    > chicken. Could Red Tide affect canned baby clams that
                    > you know of?
                    >
                    > > All meat we buy has an issue of bacterial
                    > > contamination, especially
                    > > chicken.
                    >
                    > I am going to try beef heart. Rudy doesn't like any
                    > chicken.
                    >
                    > But it is important to remember that the
                    > > same bacteria that
                    > > give us gastrointestinal disease from eating
                    > > contaminated foods are
                    > > not the same ones that affect our cats and dogs.
                    >

                    > I personally would worry most about feeding raw in the
                    > context of the members of this list to any cats who
                    > are suffering from cardiac cachexia since it does have
                    > an effect on immune system function.
                    >
                    > Some seafood recipes call for marinating in lemon
                    > juice as that precooks the seafood. I wonder if this
                    > could be a way to feed raw without baterial worry,
                    > afterall it is the heat that distroys vitamins.
                    >
                    > Do you have access to the full text articles that
                    > PubMed lists abstracts for?
                    >
                    > Susan

                    > http://sbc.yahoo.com
                  • Myra DeTate
                    Message 9 of 14 , Jul 3 5:22 PM
                      My hubby found some canned baby clams today at our regular grocery
                      with the ingredients of "clams, water, salt, citric acid". Sounds
                      like they are already marinated. Our Bob loved them!!! I just
                      poured the can out in a collandar & rinsed very well. I only gave
                      him 4 (really small). Trying to keep them for a pill treat. Thanks
                      for the suggestions.

                      Lots of Kitty Kisses,
                      Myra & Bob