Re: Water and meat

  • Shirley G.
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 1, 2003
      --- Canned
      food is not necessary if you give your cat fresh human meat as people
      are mentioning here. I add water to the ground turkey I simmer on the
      stove so it makes a broth.A supplement must be used tho if one is
      giving just human meat and I use Call of the Wild by Wysong. I am
      going to try simmering chicken innards after reading these posts. Dry
      food is full of carbs and not much value, it is like us with crackers
      or chips. They add their vitamins to it and if you use a high grade
      dry food like Natural Balance or Royal Canin and several other good
      brands, it is not as bad as using the supermarket
      brands.

      In feline-
      heart@yahoogroups.com, "Garet and Shannon" <garet@c...> wrote:
      > My vet recommended that I begin to give my two cats more canned
      food so they
      > get enough water. My previous vet had discouraged this because of
      the
      > effects it has on their teeth. Wouldn't it be better to get cats
      to drink
      > more water? I have seen water fountain water dishes in pet stores
      that I
      > think most cats would like. I put several water dishes thoughout
      the house
      > and move them around every time I fill them. When Timon discovers
      a "new"
      > dish, she sits there for almost 5 minutes drinking and then spends
      another
      > hour just laying by it. They seem to prefer the dishes in higher
      spots too.
      > Is there another reason why canned food is necessary? Daisy has
      horrible
      > teeth for a 2 year old and brushing is very traumatic for her, so I
      am
      > reluctant to do this.
      > Shannon
    • Shannon
      Message 2 of 5 , May 10, 2005
        I started giving my cats Britta filtered water about 7 years ago and the
        vomiting decreased dramatically. I have 3 cats and I only find vomit a
        couple of times a year. Our water is very chlorinated, smells like bleach
        when I brush my teeth, and that can't be good for cats to drink (or people
        for that matter!) The Britta pitcher only costs about $25 and the filters
        cost about $3 and need to be changed approximately every 3 months depending
        on the frequency of use and the sediment in your water.

        Shannon
        Daisy: Maine Coon mix, 3-1/2 years old, asymptomatic HCM, 6.25 mg atenolol
        daily
        Message 3 of 5 , May 10, 2005
          I use a water fountain, My cats just love it. The won't even touch the bowl of water that I have out as well.

          The fountain, keeps the water crisp and clean at all times, plus adds oxygen to water too.

          I have seen them at wal-mart for about $25 the filters come in a 2 pack, and cost few bucks.

          Vickie
          In memory of Angel ONYX 12/27/02 and Smudge 5/01/04
          Beware of Feline Diabetes !!!

        • jen
          Message 4 of 5 , May 10, 2005
            Our water is very chlorinated, smells like bleach
            > when I brush my teeth, and that can't be good for cats to drink (or
            people
            > for that matter!)

            Me Too!!

            My roomate laughs at me filling up my dog's dish, who is over 80 lbs
            with a dish to match that takes about 2 minutes to fill from the
            filtered water out of the fridge - but if I won't drink it I'm
            certainly not going to give it to my four legged kids!

            jen, deagan, kira the dog and royal the foster (who looks like he may
            be becoming a permanent fixture :)