Re: [FH] raw organ meats was Vet articles regarding cardiac nutrition and Fox study

  • Shirley G.
    Message 1 of 14 , Jul 1, 2003
      -

      I used to give one cat raw liver all the time but I would
      freeze it first to kill certain bacteria and then I would chop it up
      while still cold. I do not like to give raw food to my cats at all.
      Many vets do not like it either.I prefer to micro whatever it is
      until just pink or beyond pink. As to the gizzards being tough, well
      there is always the blender or food
      processor.
      - In feline-

    • bcowell
      Message 2 of 14 , Jul 1, 2003
        For as many vets that do not like raw food for cats, you could
        probably find an equal number that do. It is a personal decision, but
        for us it was not a choice... Bobo refuses to eat dry food and cooked
        meat... I'd rather he ate something. Just like our other cat,
        Canaille, likes Fancy Feast. I think that is kitty junk food, but
        again I'd rather she ate.
        I've heard gizzards recommended to clean kitty's teeth when they chew
        them up.
        I'd rather they ate cooked meat, but instead I am just extremely
        careful with the fresh meat. I'm a microbiologist and quite paranoid
        about bacteria!
        Brigitte

      • Susan
        Message 3 of 14 , Jul 2, 2003
          --- bcowell <bcowell@...> wrote:
          >> I'd rather they ate cooked meat, but instead I am
          > just extremely
          > careful with the fresh meat. I'm a microbiologist
          > and quite paranoid
          > about bacteria!
          > Brigitte

          Brigitte,

          I asked the question regarding raw organ meats on the
          vetlearn.com bulletin board and they brought up both
          bacterial contamination and parasites. I mentioned I
          had the OK from IM vet to feed raw baby clams and a
          vet said he was not aware of any parasites in clams
          but wasn't sure. I know I read somewhere once that
          organ meats contain concentrated amounts of anything
          bad the animal may have consumed or been exposed to
          and of course organ meats are sinfully high in
          cholesteral. ALSO it took an anthropologist to
          discover the brain wasting disease Kuru in New
          Guineau was transmitted because elderly females were
          practicing cannibalism of brain tissue. I keep
          thinking that the issue of organ meats is more complex
          than it may seem on the surface.

          Susan

          Susan

          =====

          http://sbc.yahoo.com
        • Wathey, Lisa
          Message 4 of 14 , Jul 2, 2003
            Hey Brigitte, what do you think of the books that recommend "treating" the meat with grapefruit-seed extract to kill the bacteria (or anything else). Is it the acidic environment that would do it? I have just been buying Barney good quality meat at Whole foods but am concerned about it. Is there anything we can do to make it safer? Lisa W.

            This message and any attachments are intended for the use of the addressee(s) only and may be confidential and covered by the attorney/client and other privileges. If the reader is not the intended recipient, DO NOT READ, notify sender and delete this message. In addition, be aware that any disclosure, copying, distribution or use of the contents of this message is strictly prohibited.

          • Shirley G.
            Message 5 of 14 , Jul 2, 2003
              ---Organ meats is very high in cholesterol if that is dangerous to
              the HCM cat please tell me because my vet is on vacation. I cannot
              eat organ meat and I love chicken livers and beef liver but it is bad
              for my cholesterol and heart so it is not
              permitted.

              In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com, Susan <somnamblst@y...> wrote:

              > --- bcowell <bcowell@y...> wrote:
              > >> I'd rather they ate cooked meat, but instead I am
              > > just extremely
              > > careful with the fresh meat. I'm a microbiologist
              > > and quite paranoid
              > > about bacteria!
              > > Brigitte
              >

              > Brigitte,
              >
              > I asked the question regarding raw organ meats on the
              > vetlearn.com bulletin board and they brought up both
              > bacterial contamination and parasites. I mentioned I
              > had the OK from IM vet to feed raw baby clams and a
              > vet said he was not aware of any parasites in clams
              > but wasn't sure. I know I read somewhere once that
              > organ meats contain concentrated amounts of anything
              > bad the animal may have consumed or been exposed to
              > and of course organ meats are sinfully high in
              > cholesteral. ALSO it took an anthropologist to
              > discover the brain wasting disease Kuru in New
              > Guineau was transmitted because elderly females were
              > practicing cannibalism of brain tissue. I keep
              > thinking that the issue of organ meats is more complex
              > than it may seem on the surface.
              >
              > Susan
              >
              > Susan
              >
              > =====
              > Rudy: Male DSH brown tabby, feral mom, diagnosed 09-2002 at 19
              months of age with idiopathic HCM: grade 2 murmur, hyperkinetic
              heart, borderline normal thickening, considered asymptomatic, 12.5 mg
              Atenolol 1x day, 1/2 baby aspirin 2x week administered via pilling

              > http://sbc.yahoo.com
            • bcowell
              Message 6 of 14 , Jul 2, 2003
                Susan,
                I would never want to feed a lot of liver for the cholesterol issue,
                this is an organ that concentrates fats and is not necessarily so
                good. It is also the organ that filters, so it is the one that
                collects stuff like heavy metals and toxins. The heart is not one of
                those organs. I think it is hard to generalize about organs when they
                have such different functions. For example, the brain, it is quite a
                different tissue from the heart. The brain is related to transmission
                of prions such as Kuru as you say, but there is no data suggesting
                that eating of hearts would do the same.
                So I feed hearts and gizzards but not liver. Liver is often fed to
                fatten animals, and i guess that is because of it's high fat content.
                I asked both my vet and vet cardiologist about the feeding of hearts
                and gizzards and they were only positive. I did not want to feed
                these meats to my cats before I checked, but hearts had been
                recommended for taurine and gizzards for teeth cleaning.
                All meat we buy has an issue of bacterial contamination, especially
                chicken. But it is important to remember that the same bacteria that
                give us gastrointestinal disease from eating contaminated foods are
                not the same ones that affect our cats and dogs.
                Brigitte

                --- In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com, Susan <somnamblst@y...> wrote:

                > --- bcowell <bcowell@y...> wrote:
                > >> I'd rather they ate cooked meat, but instead I am
                > > just extremely
                > > careful with the fresh meat. I'm a microbiologist
                > > and quite paranoid
                > > about bacteria!
                > > Brigitte
                >

                > Brigitte,
                >
                > I asked the question regarding raw organ meats on the
                > vetlearn.com bulletin board and they brought up both
                > bacterial contamination and parasites. I mentioned I
                > had the OK from IM vet to feed raw baby clams and a
                > vet said he was not aware of any parasites in clams
                > but wasn't sure. I know I read somewhere once that
                > organ meats contain concentrated amounts of anything
                > bad the animal may have consumed or been exposed to
                > and of course organ meats are sinfully high in
                > cholesteral. ALSO it took an anthropologist to
                > discover the brain wasting disease Kuru in New
                > Guineau was transmitted because elderly females were
                > practicing cannibalism of brain tissue. I keep
                > thinking that the issue of organ meats is more complex
                > than it may seem on the surface.
                >
                > Susan
                >
                > Susan
                >
                > =====
                > Rudy: Male DSH brown tabby, feral mom, diagnosed 09-2002 at 19
                months of age with idiopathic HCM: grade 2 murmur, hyperkinetic
                heart, borderline normal thickening, considered asymptomatic, 12.5 mg
                Atenolol 1x day, 1/2 baby aspirin 2x week administered via pilling

                > http://sbc.yahoo.com
              • bcowell
                Message 7 of 14 , Jul 2, 2003
                  Lisa,
                  I hadn't heard of using grapefruit-seed extract. There are a number
                  of things that would kill most bacteria (never all, really only
                  autoclaving or pressure cooking would do that). It could be acid in
                  the extract I would think, one of the issues is will your cat still
                  eat it after treatment? Maybe you could try adding the extract and
                  see how much it changes the look and smell of it.
                  I know a lot of cat breeders that feed chicken drop the raw chicken
                  legs in boiling water for 3 minutes... it leaves the inside raw but
                  somewhat sterilizes the outside. One breeder even drops in frozen raw
                  chicken.
                  I buy chicken at Whole Foods also for Bobo, I figure it's the best
                  available for me, so it is good for him too. To be safe, I don't buy
                  budget chicken, and I buy the chicken every other day so it is as
                  fresh as possible. If we had a bigger freezer I would probably
                  stockpile it so I didn't have to go grocery shopping all the time.
                  Brigitte

                  <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

                  Message 8 of 14 , Jul 3, 2003
                    --- bcowell <bcowell@...> wrote:
                    > I asked both my vet and vet cardiologist about the
                    > feeding of hearts
                    > and gizzards and they were only positive. I did not
                    > want to feed
                    > these meats to my cats before I checked, but hearts
                    > had been
                    > recommended for taurine and gizzards for teeth
                    > cleaning.

                    You may want to try baby clams for taurine (really
                    high) and they are quite chewy so I imagine they are
                    good for teeth. The iodine content is comparable to
                    chicken. Could Red Tide affect canned baby clams that
                    you know of?

                    > All meat we buy has an issue of bacterial
                    > contamination, especially
                    > chicken.

                    I am going to try beef heart. Rudy doesn't like any
                    chicken.

                    But it is important to remember that the
                    > same bacteria that
                    > give us gastrointestinal disease from eating
                    > contaminated foods are
                    > not the same ones that affect our cats and dogs.

                    I personally would worry most about feeding raw in the
                    context of the members of this list to any cats who
                    are suffering from cardiac cachexia since it does have
                    an effect on immune system function.

                    Some seafood recipes call for marinating in lemon
                    juice as that precooks the seafood. I wonder if this
                    could be a way to feed raw without baterial worry,
                    afterall it is the heat that distroys vitamins.

                    Do you have access to the full text articles that
                    PubMed lists abstracts for?

                    Susan

                    http://sbc.yahoo.com
                  • bcowell
                    Message 9 of 14 , Jul 3, 2003
                      Hi Susan,
                      I'll try the baby clams. I am thinking that little Karamu will love
                      them as she loves most food forms, but Bobo hasn't liked any fishy
                      things I've tried so he'll most likely not be interested. He's so
                      finicky and of course he's my heart kitty (mitral valve dysplasia).
                      Red Tide is an algal profusion isn't it? Can't see that that would be
                      bad, but I would want to do a search on it... I'll try to today. I
                      can't spend too much time at the computer...I fell down the stairs a
                      couple days ago and can't really sit down still.
                      Marinating in lemon juice would probably do a lot to kill most
                      bacteria. I think some can survive, after all food-borne pathogens
                      survive going through the stomach before causing trouble in your
                      intestines. For example, the bacteria that causes dysentery is
                      resistant to stomach acid, while the more common Salmonella and
                      Vibrio (seafood) are susceptible. So it most likely would be good,
                      but you would then have to see if your cat was interested in lemon-
                      flavored meat!
                      As to PubMed, I used to have access when I was working at the
                      university, and for a bit after I quit (I started questioning what I
                      was doing with my life). The university changed its system and the
                      passwords changed. I've been trying to get my ex-mentor to get me new
                      ID, but she's not so computer savvy so I think I will have to go
                      visit her to see if it can be worked out. Sorry I can't be of help
                      with that right now :(
                      Brigitte

                      --- In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com, Susan <somnamblst@y...> wrote:

                      > --- bcowell <bcowell@y...> wrote:
                      > > I asked both my vet and vet cardiologist about the
                      > > feeding of hearts
                      > > and gizzards and they were only positive. I did not
                      > > want to feed
                      > > these meats to my cats before I checked, but hearts
                      > > had been
                      > > recommended for taurine and gizzards for teeth
                      > > cleaning.
                      >
                      > You may want to try baby clams for taurine (really
                      > high) and they are quite chewy so I imagine they are
                      > good for teeth. The iodine content is comparable to
                      > chicken. Could Red Tide affect canned baby clams that
                      > you know of?
                      >
                      > > All meat we buy has an issue of bacterial
                      > > contamination, especially
                      > > chicken.
                      >
                      > I am going to try beef heart. Rudy doesn't like any
                      > chicken.
                      >
                      > But it is important to remember that the
                      > > same bacteria that
                      > > give us gastrointestinal disease from eating
                      > > contaminated foods are
                      > > not the same ones that affect our cats and dogs.
                      >

                      > I personally would worry most about feeding raw in the
                      > context of the members of this list to any cats who
                      > are suffering from cardiac cachexia since it does have
                      > an effect on immune system function.
                      >
                      > Some seafood recipes call for marinating in lemon
                      > juice as that precooks the seafood. I wonder if this
                      > could be a way to feed raw without baterial worry,
                      > afterall it is the heat that distroys vitamins.
                      >
                      > Do you have access to the full text articles that
                      > PubMed lists abstracts for?
                      >
                      > Susan

                      > http://sbc.yahoo.com
                    • Myra DeTate
                      Message 10 of 14 , Jul 3, 2003
                        My hubby found some canned baby clams today at our regular grocery
                        with the ingredients of "clams, water, salt, citric acid". Sounds
                        like they are already marinated. Our Bob loved them!!! I just
                        poured the can out in a collandar & rinsed very well. I only gave
                        him 4 (really small). Trying to keep them for a pill treat. Thanks
                        for the suggestions.

                        Lots of Kitty Kisses,
                        Myra & Bob